Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Tie interceptor

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

smiggy
Average
Average

Tie interceptor

Post by smiggy »

Quick question for you all.
I have the star wars ships OXP installed (LMDE) and I noticed that the tie fighter (interceptor) is not for player use.
Here's the dilemma...................
It is in Windows, I know as I have it.

Why can this be? The OXP is generic to both Linux and Windows, I actually copied the contents of the addons folder across to windows from my Linux netbook. I was then able to select the tie-interceptor from a tech 12 planet.
In Linux when I amend the save file accordingly to match the windows file I get a rotating question mark for the ship.
Will copying the save file across to Linux suffice?

Oh, one other thing, in the Assassins OXP I 'acquired' the Graviton missile as per a previous post in the forum however I do not know what I'm supposed to do with it as nothing pops up to say 'well done you completed the mission' in order to progress to next step in the storyline???

Can anyone shed any light on this at all?
Many thanks in advance.

Smiggy
:D
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Tie interceptor

Post by DaddyHoggy »

You could try looking at the lastest.log in Windows copy of Oolite and the same in Linux. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a capitalisation issue? Some ships or attributes of ships do not appear when going from Windows to Linux because (for example) "ShipName" is the same as "shipname" under Windows but are two different things under Linux.

Other than that - not a clue!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Some ships or attributes of ships do not appear when going from Windows to Linux because (for example) "ShipName" is the same as "shipname" under Windows but are two different things under Linux.
ShipName and shipname are different things in both Windows and Linux. Windows is case agnostic on filenames, but GNUstep works the same way on both platforms.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Some ships or attributes of ships do not appear when going from Windows to Linux because (for example) "ShipName" is the same as "shipname" under Windows but are two different things under Linux.
ShipName and shipname are different things in both Windows and Linux. Windows is case agnostic on filenames, but GNUstep works the same way on both platforms.
Any thoughts then?

A question mark in Linux implies the ship is not being loaded, this to me implies a filename faff? Hence the request for a latest.log from both...
Selezen wrote:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

smiggy wrote:
Quick question for you all.
I have the star wars ships OXP installed (LMDE) and I noticed that the tie fighter (interceptor) is not for player use.
Here's the dilemma...................
It is in Windows, I know as I have it.

Why can this be? The OXP is generic to both Linux and Windows, I actually copied the contents of the addons folder across to windows from my Linux netbook. I was then able to select the tie-interceptor from a tech 12 planet.
In Linux when I amend the save file accordingly to match the windows file I get a rotating question mark for the ship.
Will copying the save file across to Linux suffice?
The most likely cause is a syntax error in either shipdata.plist or shipyard.plist (or possibly both), that prevents the plist to be read by Linux at all. Therefore it doesn't exist in Linux. Windows tends to be too forgiving/careless with regards to syntax. Linux is not. For starters, it's case-sensitive. For Linux "interceptor" is not the same thing as "Interceptor". For Windows not only are these both the same, they are also identical to "iNtErCePtOr".

EDIT: ninja'd :D
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Any thoughts then?

A question mark in Linux implies the ship is not being loaded, this to me implies a filename faff? Hence the request for a latest.log from both...
That is correct. I was under the impression you were referring to the property inside shipdata.plist, which is read the same way in Windows and Linux. Of course, if the filename of a model or a texture or whatever has a capitalization difference, then yes, things will be as described.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Any thoughts then?

That is correct. I was under the impression you were referring to the property inside shipdata.plist, which is read the same way in Windows and Linux. Of course, if the filename of a model or a texture or whatever has a capitalization difference, then yes, things will be as described.
Nah, I'm not that bright! I just phrased it badly! :oops:
Selezen wrote: