Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Constrictor Mission (*Some Spoilers*)...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The weapon_energy line is missing from the shipdata.plist.

I think before it defaulted to something sensible (15 springs to mind), but now it seens to default to zero damage - hence the light show only.

Will update relevant OXPs that are now awry - thanks for the prod ;)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Thargoid wrote:
I think before it defaulted to something sensible (15 springs to mind),
Could you please be more specific? I don’t believe this was ever the case for turrets, but if it was, that’s a regression that needs fixing.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Maybe I'm mixing it up with something else - perhaps the twin plasma cannon. It just sprung to mind as the energy damage of a turret.

Anyway it's fixed in the OXP now, the line was missing hence it was just a light-show as McLane indicated. And from your comment I presume the concept of having a weapon actually do some damage rather than just make pretty lights by default isn't one to suggest?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Simple as it sounds, due to the odd way turrets are set up, it can’t really be done cleanly. (At the time the default would be determined, the turret is indistinguishable from a normal unarmed subentity.) Unless someone can point to a version where there was a default, I don’t see a pressing need to do it dirtily.

The traditional value, by the way, is 25.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, I think I do have a clean way to assign a default weapon_energy to turrets.
I'll just need to double check I'm not sorely mistaken before committing that change. If it turns out I'm slightly mistaken, but mistaken nonetheless, I can always uncommit it! :)

PS: I can't seem to find a version of Oolite that assigned that value automagically either...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

I got my Constrictor mission, at Competent, 256 kills right on commander.

I found the Constrictor fine, but I'm having real trouble killing it....

Advice please,

I'm flying a dragon AN, I have military lasers... almost all the Upgrades, but I still cannot kill the ship, I shoot the helle out of it and it just turns and runs...... usually twice, then I have to hyperspace out of the system and come back in, just can't seem to close the deal!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

When he runs, let him get off the scanner then torus after him. Keep this up and eventually he'll run out of fuel for his injectors.
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

lol yep thats what I read after posting, thanks for the speedy reply...
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

just love the game by the way seems a little slower than Elite though, well my trusty 8 bit zx spectrum version anyways (certainly prettier though) didn't really play any of the other versions until I got an amiga, and pc then I played elite, frontier. never played first encouters though.

I am however hoping for elite IV to be released, and wish Ian and David would patch up their differences, and deliver us a truly great game.
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Thanks

Post by Namttep »

Killed the Constrictor in Galaxy 2, Jumped from Competent to Dangerous, in the eight versions didn't you get military energy unit, or a Cloaking device as a reward? for the kill?

anyways did it using the strategies discussed here.....

thanks all.

Ian
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Thanks

Post by Commander McLane »

Namttep wrote:
Killed the Constrictor in Galaxy 2, Jumped from Competent to Dangerous, in the eight versions didn't you get military energy unit, or a Cloaking device as a reward? for the kill?
Nope. You'll have to wait for other missions to get those.

But you got 256 extra kills awarded. Congrats! :D
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

Sweeet
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re:

Post by SandJ »

Well, that was fun! I ended up using this thread to find the start point in Galaxy 2. I used Hired Guns as wingmen and managed the final kill myself. It took a couple of runs from the witchpoint to the space station and back again to finish the job though. It took m ea good few hours to complete this mission. I've paid £20 for games that provided no more value than this mission on its own!
Namttep wrote:
I am however hoping for elite IV to be released
Me too, but I'm already 45 years old, so I can't see it happening in my lifetime. :cry:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Re:

Post by JensAyton »

SandJ wrote:
Namttep wrote:
I am however hoping for elite IV to be released
Me too, but I'm already 45 years old, so I can't see it happening in my lifetime. :cry:
To be fair, Duke Nukem Forever is coming out this weekend, and they started on that three years before Elite IV. :-)
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Constrictor Mission (*Some Spoilers*)...

Post by Namttep »

I don't think it ever will come out, I too am 45 years old, Ian and Dave can't agree on anything. some of the ships where Ian's coding, and others where dave's

unless both agree on usage, and an equitable royalty split, then I don't see anything happening with the game... I see the Universe ending, before Ian and Dave agree on anything else.....lol.