I am new to Oolite with no programing or text editer skills.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

saf
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I am new to Oolite with no programing or text editer skills.

Post by saf »

Does anyone have any saved files that you can send me of fast ships with docking computers, large cargo bays and the best lasers.
Last edited by saf on Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I am new to Oolite with no programing or text editer ski

Post by CaptSolo »

saf wrote:
Does anyone have any saved files that you can send me of fast ships with docking computers, large cargo bays and the best lasers.
[email protected]
Do you mean "saved game files"? I hope not.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Welcome Saf to the friendliest board on the other side of Leesti. Sending you a save file would take the fun out of the game. Once you have got your space legs then you can try out some faster ships or add oxp's for different ships. Or maybe someone else here would like to help you cheat a little. My saves have oxp specific ships and even the core ships have been modified so you wouldn't be able to use it anyway. Any question feel free to ask and someone will help you out. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Welcome Saf, to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat (tm), Unfortunately what you are requesting is considered cheating by many board members. Presumably you have searched google for a guide on how to edit the oolite save file (I myself did that when I first started). If you open the save file with a text editor BUT NOT NOTEPAD you should find it quite easy to find the thing to change.

with games like this you have to learn by doing... not by cheating

wow... 2 people posted before I finished
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi saf, and welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat.
If you're asking for a leg-up to the top table, I expect someone will oblige, but not me I'm afraid.
Building yourself an Iron-Ass ship is a large part of what the game is all about, and of course as you earn credits and improve your ship, you'll also learn all the game-skills you'll need to get the most enjoyment out of this awesome game.
Why do you think you start with a fairly basic and relatively lowly ship? If you were given a killer machine right from the start a) you wouldn't know how to handle it or get the best from it, and b) you'd miss out on nearly all the fun, joy and pleasure of the game.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
saf
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by saf »

Thanks guys I do understand, I played elite in the UK many years ago and just did not want to go through all the slow build-up process.
Thanks just the same........
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

In Oolite, pirates will be lurking in the space lanes - the direct route to the planet, so if you take an indirect route you can avoid them. In this manner you can earn credits more quickly to buy better equipment for your ship. The only exception is if you installed DeepSpacePirates OXP. My apologies if you were aware of this.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Saf, why don't you check out the oolite runnerG5 challenge available in the expansion packs forum. There are a few other oxp's that have saved games with them I believe. :wink: Not sure of your skill level but might be worth a look.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

saf wrote:
Thanks guys I do understand, I played elite in the UK many years ago and just did not want to go through all the slow build-up process.
Thanks just the same........
Although Oolite is true to the feel, ethos and canon of Elite, it has come on a long way. just as one example the 'baddies' are much more believable now in their actions, and the whole thing is better as a consequence of the better tech we're playing on.
Your previous experience will help you greatly, but this is a whole new ball-game, and gaining the experience will help you to enjoy this new, improved interpretation.
As has been mentioned there are many ways to accumulate credits really quite quickly, so building-up your Iron-Ass shouldn't take you very long at all.
Best of luck with it, and enjoy.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.