tech level 1

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

jimb
Above Average
Above Average

Re: tech level 1

Post by jimb »

El Viejo wrote:
Hi jimb… open your save-file in a text editor (preferably not Notepad, Wordpad will do)... in Windows it can be found here: ~\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves.
Find the <key>mission_variables</key> section and look for this line: <key>mission_conhunt</key>
What does the next line after that say?

It says I completed the Mission!*7%

Can't remember, it must have been ages ago.
It also has trumbles but I do rember turning that down!!

I certainly don't remember any other missions

In answer to your next question, I am running v1.74.2 under XP, (best MS OS since DOS 7)

I was given a lot of advice, much of which I did NOT understand, including upgrading to a higher version. I did that and everything fell apart.

I am not sure what an OXP is but I have not knowingly downloaded one. Everything on my Oolite system is bog standard, unless I accidendely did something *clever*.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

The current version of Oolite is 1.75.2. This should not impact the native missions though, they certainly worked in version 1.74.2 as well.

OXPs are enhancements of Oolite, they improve eye candy, add new ships, provide new missions, change the game mechanics etc. You can find general information (wht they are, how to install them, even how to make them yourself) about OXPs [EliteWiki] here. A complete list of OXPs is [EliteWiki] here.

Hope that helps.
jimb
Above Average
Above Average

Post by jimb »

maik wrote:
The current version of Oolite is 1.75.2. This should not impact the native missions though, they certainly worked in version 1.74.2 as well.

OXPs are enhancements of Oolite, they improve eye candy, add new ships, provide new missions, change the game mechanics etc. You can find general information (wht they are, how to install them, even how to make them yourself) about OXPs [EliteWiki] here. A complete list of OXPs is [EliteWiki] here.

Hope that helps.

Thanks maik, that helps, I reckoned that OXPs were more or less what you say...

It does not help explain why I have so many crashes. there does not appear to be any pattern to them. great shame, it is a superb "game", I cannot believe it was so much fun back in the 80's with wire frame images etc.

Cheers, Jim
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Indeed it does not help with the crashes.

I suggest that you start a discussion in the "Oolite-PC" forum here on the board. If Windows offers to send a crash log to Microsoft then please take a copy and post it there. Also, the log file that Oolite produces itself, called latest.log, will be helpful there. As far as I can tell you should be able to find it in your Start Menu where Oolite is as well (I'm on a Mac so can't double-check).

People in that forum will most certainly be able to help you with the crashes.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

About your random crashes.

You've posted that this happens when pressing a button on your joystick and after seeing your GFX card (GeForce 9600) and 2 processors. It's just a wild guess (and I'm not a developer, so what do I know?) - does it still happening if you turn off the thread optimization of your GeForce?

Intel and NVidia had some fun since releasing the Core2Duos and as far as I know the problem was never really fixed for XP.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi jimb,
glad you're enjoying the game...it is a bit better than the old wireframe isn't it.
Don't be scared of the OXPs....they are very easy to install, and a good start is to go for some eye-candy. Start by replacing the planets and go for one of the ship sets and an OXP that replaces the stations and other bits and pieces.If your computer supports shaders, Griff's are very popular, but if not there are other good ship sets available, at least one of which has some nice lighting effects which work on non-shader computers. <looks down at link in signature>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Also about random crashes:

It is generally advisable to use the latest version of Oolite (currently 1.75.2). If a bug in Oolite 1.74.2 is responsible for your crashes, there is a good chance that it has already been fixed in one of the more recent versions.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

jimb wrote:
In answer to your next question, I am running v1.74.2 under XP, I was given a lot of advice, much of which I did NOT understand, including upgrading to a higher version. I did that and everything fell apart.
It sounds like something is "broke" The newer version should solve most of your problems. but if you have problems in your save file as well then moving it over wont help. Starting from scratch (well, almost) just might work. Write down your credit and kill count and what equipment you have already then delete everything including Oolite itself, download the a fresh version install it, start a new player then hack the player file to give yourself your kill count. Then give yourself 2million credits, get your ship and all equipment you had before, save it then change your credits to the amount you had at the start. That way most things are handled internally and very few chances of changing something you shouldn't.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

jimb wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Hi jimb… open your save-file in a text editor (preferably not Notepad, Wordpad will do)... in Windows it can be found here: ~\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves.
Find the <key>mission_variables</key> section and look for this line: <key>mission_conhunt</key>
What does the next line after that say?

Thanks for that, I will try tomorrow!
When things are okay, you should not find a <key>mission_conhunt</key> line at all. But, like El_Viejo, I think some oxp has corrupted your save file by setting that variable. I know there existed such oxps in the past.
jimb wrote:
Trumbles always have had a bug in the JS version that once turned down, there was no new offer. That is fixed with 1.75. There will be one offer again for you when switching to 1.75.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Eric Walch wrote:
When things are okay, you should not find a <key>mission_conhunt</key> line at all. But, like El_Viejo, I think some oxp has corrupted your save file by setting that variable. I know there existed such oxps in the past.
That's interesting, Eric... I'd quite like to know which OXP did that. Also, I don't think that jimb has ever had any OXPs installed.
Eric Walch wrote:
jimb wrote:
Trumbles always have had a bug in the JS version that once turned down, there was no new offer. That is fixed with 1.75. There will be one offer again for you when switching to 1.75.
Also interesting, in that I appear to be getting Trumble offers quite often since 1.75.x
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

El Viejo wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
jimb wrote:
Also interesting, in that I appear to be getting Trumble offers quite often since 1.75.x
Perhaps he meant to say "another offer".
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, I've been offered the pesky things sweet little darlings several times since installing 1.75.x
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

El Viejo wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
That's interesting, Eric... I'd quite like to know which OXP did that. Also, I don't think that jimb has ever had any OXPs installed.
One oxp I know is realistic shipyard, that completely copied the contrictor with script attached and used it as plain pirate. Killing such a pirate ended the mission without even starting it. But there may be others doing the same.

And yes, after posting I read that jimb had no oxps installed at all. Thats puzzling because there should have been a constictor mission offer when reaching a 255 score. When I delete the <key>mission_conhunt</key> entry in my save file from galaxy 2, I get the offer also.

For trumbles I mend not a single offer, but just that offers start again until you accept.
jimb
Above Average
Above Average

Post by jimb »

Svengali wrote:
About your random crashes.

You've posted that this happens when pressing a button on your joystick and after seeing your GFX card (GeForce 9600) and 2 processors. It's just a wild guess (and I'm not a developer, so what do I know?) - does it still happening if you turn off the thread optimization of your GeForce?

Intel and NVidia had some fun since releasing the Core2Duos and as far as I know the problem was never really fixed for XP.
How do I turn off thread optimisation of the GeForce setup, come to think of it how did you know what system I am using!

Spooky

This random crash often happens with NO user input at all, more like a stack overflow or bad connection. but ONLY with Oolite
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

jimb wrote:
come to think of it how did you know what system I am using!

Spooky
Not really, it's in the log. :D