Tionisla Orbital Graveyard

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

On closer inspection, there’s a bigger problem than age – the shipdata.plist is unusable. It’s full off that <I0> stuff that doesn’t mean anything to Cocoa.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Really ought to write a script to translate those odd windows plists to something more usable...
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Anyway, I fixed the plist (uploaded to Yahoo group and all), and jumped into Tionisla with and without asynchronous texture loading turned on.

No appreciable difference.

I suspect the main time drain is parsing meshes. Caching meshes instead of reloading them for each entity strikes me as a good idea. Now, let’s see… an OOMesh class, loading asynchronously off course, preferably using a flex-based parser or similar (need to rewrite anyway to make proper use of OOMaterial).

I guess this demonstrates why profiling is a good idea. ;-)
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Ahruman wrote:
I suspect the main time drain is parsing meshes. Caching meshes instead of reloading them for each entity strikes me as a good idea. Now, let’s see… an OOMesh class, loading asynchronously off course, preferably using a flex-based parser or similar (need to rewrite anyway to make proper use of OOMaterial).
Since using vertex arrays the vertex data and such for models is already cached and files are only ever parsed once during each game.

Practically speaking, I should save Universe's preloadedDataFiles to disk when updated during play - and reload them at the start of the game, going over them once to preload and update the texture references. This would make .dat file parsing a once only affair, speeding up set-up.

I'll give it some noodle time.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Yeah, I suppose I should get back to getting this finished.

My time for modding and writing is zero at the moment.

I may have to make some sacrifices...
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Thbis needs to be on Oosat2

Post by milinks »

I was doing my duty, and putting my vote where my mouth is ( due to a seperate post in the Discussion forum ) and the ONE OXP which i really wanted to vote as ELITE is this, the Graveyard, created by Selezen and others..... and it isnt on Oosat2!!!!! Can someone please amend this, as i believe that for a noob this really is a TOTAL MUST HAVE!!! The effort that Selezen put into this is outstanding, and totally immerses you into the Elite feel. If i can give a big thumbs up to Selezen for this then please put it up again on Oosat2 :)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

but but but, it's still in pre-alpha stage! :shock:

Probably more work will be done on it in summer, when A_H has more free time (?)
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I hope to attain some more flexibility as experiments pan out.

I have applied for one more course during my internship, which will start in a couple of weeks. I should not have applied, as it will compete with my labwork, thus creating an environment not conductive to OXP's. :(

I'll certainly try to make time.
Probably in a month or so, A_H time will come available.
Be sure you know what you want done on the TOGY by then. :)
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Since this topic was resurrected this morning, I've been having a look at the stagnant code on my hard drive and trying to see if it still works.

Firstly I upgraded my clunky old version (1,61) to the new shininess of 1.65.

Now, in the yard, the new headstones and mausoleum models I drew months ago have reversed textures! The writing is backwards!!!

Is this something that has already been mentioned? How do I fix?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Two years!! That's got to be some sort of record.

I dived into the code for the TOGY again this morning, and it's awakened all the old fire for Oolite development... Consider it resurrected.

OK, now where were we? I think the reversed textures are still an issue, as my last post mentioned. Has anyone got any idea why this is happening?

My main concern now is the sheer number of objects on the screen when the TOGY loads. With the number of monuments being ridiculously high, I'm remodelling the monuments that Rik and Arnoud submitted to reduce the poly count. Sadly this means that the more complex models, such as the pentagram and chaos monuments, are being ditched. I'm taking out two of the crucifix models too. At the moment the most complex model in there is the Mjolnir model at 160 polys, which is a bit high but I don't want to reduce that one since its texture is so nice.

I'm reducing the size of the monuments too, so that the main bulk of the monuments are roughly the same size as the Cobra 3. My new small mausoleum models are smaller even than that.

I've reduced the size of the monument textures to 256x256 too.

This should all hopefully free up some processor time when the TOGY is running.

Once that is all done I'll go back to looking at the plists and tidying them up.

Someone wake up Arnoud and Rik!
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

*hum? gnurflm? jussafewminutez morezzzz....*
Riding the Rocket!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
*hum? gnurflm? jussafewminutez morezzzz....*
Wake up.

<applies GalCop issue electric stun-stick with the safety stripped out>
FZZZZzzzzzztt!!!!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Selezen wrote:

OK, now where were we? I think the reversed textures are still an issue, as my last post mentioned. Has anyone got any idea why this is happening?
´

Reversed Textures:

Did you flip your faces for the models ?.. That way the back of the models is showing when you are actually looking at the front ;-)... you just dont notice it, cause it all looks fine..

I ran into this, when i started out programming my Oolite Dat model Viewer.. that i am still working on now and then... just have no time atm
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Selezen wrote:
Someone wake up Arnoud and Rik!
My god, did I sleep that long?

I don't even remember what I possibly did for the project :oops:
Last thing I remember is going over some AI to make sure the sentinels don't crash into monuments, only to discover the problem had already been solved by you...
Arexack_Heretic

It's more likely the model somehow got inverted and he's looking at the textures as they are projected on the inside of the faces, thus looking inverted from the outside.

I'm not really planning on revving up my oolite engine just yet.
If I am, I'd rather focus on the trumble shanadigans (or however its spelled)
Riding the Rocket!