Shield strength displayed numerically

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Shield strength displayed numerically

Post by JensAyton »

Commander Wilmot wrote:
but a percentage could give a more precise measurement if it was put above or beside.
I’m far from convinced that more precision is desirable. As far as combat is concerned, Oolite is essentially an arcade game; unnecessary detail detracts from that, without giving you the context to use it meaningfully as in a simulator.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Just a thought...

The pie guages I'm working on could be made to have ANY orientation with one specific property like "reversed = true" with a default of false. If that fails then individual draw guages for each one like "drawAftShieldReversed" would work though hopefully it would be easier than that. If the "Great and Powerful Oz" would grant this request MANY would be overjoyed and HUD design would leapfrog forward exponentially. :)

Numeric guages have only a few uses where specific quantities need to be precisely measured(like ammunition). To be that precise currently requires a lot of work and HUD switching. Would be nice but if I had to choose, the above option would be a priority over numeric display...

CommonSenseOTB for your gaming enjoyment! :wink:

EDIT: In the day or so since writing this post I have discovered methods to achieve all orientations of pie guages by reversing/flipping the arrays of draw tools. The only thing I can't do is reverse the direction of travel from full to empty but I can live without it. As my pie problem is virtually solved I would say that for the sake of equipment addons that either a draw number guage or a programmable one would be a neccessary enhancement to the existing hud environment. Currently if one was to design a hud for the railgun at least 20 to 100 huds would be needed to switch between just for a percentage guage. Just doable, but when added with 2 or 3 other hud switching routines you can see the exponential scale of the problem. Just FYI my 2 cents(OTB)! :)
Last edited by CommonSenseOTB on Thu May 12, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Ahruman wrote:
As far as combat is concerned, Oolite is essentially an arcade game; unnecessary detail detracts from that, without giving you the context to use it meaningfully as in a simulator.
:shock:
But its description says that "Oolite is a space sim game" :D