Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

SGI IRIX

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

SGI IRIX

Post by Spooky »

Not that anyone's gonna care but I'm currently porting Oolite to SGI's IRIX. This unfortunately requires using the GNU compilers rather than the far superior MIPSPro compilers (Hey, not everyone uses x86 and Linux :wink:) for the objectiveC support.

I'll should be able to get a fully functional build in a day or two the way it's going at the moment but as with anything this is subject to change. I'll post a link once I'm done and I'll try and get it package by the SGI community into their software respository (http://www.nekochan.net)
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

The most merciful thing in all the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of its contents.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

V. Cool! 8)
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Spooky »

It ain't working yet :wink:

I'm waiting until I see a spinning Cobra MKIII and a 'load commander (y/n) before I pronouce it cool :lol:
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

The most merciful thing in all the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of its contents.
Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Spooky »

:twisted: SUCCESS :twisted:

Managed to get a successful compile... with a little bit of tweaking.

In HeadUpDisplay.m there was a conditional statement using isnan (for scanner range checks I believe). I couldn't find a library which would supply support so I fudged it a little, I'll go back and tidy this up in a sec :oops:

I'm getting some pretty weird errors when I fire up the app though.

2006-02-13 15:01:13.842 oolite[152214] OPENGL_DEBUG GL_ERROR (1280) 'invalid enumerant' in: SkyEntity after drawing <SkyEntity: 111c40a8>

This I ascribe to an unsupported GL function? (This current machine is OpenGL 1.1 complient only)

This next one I don't have a clue about or where I should even start looking? It looks like some sort of i-Tunes integration at a guess...:?:

2006-02-13 15:01:08.023 oolite[152214] don't know how to load entity 'http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd' id '-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN'
.:3: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
<plist version="1.0">

Now I have to stop playing long enough to fix some of this stuff :wink:

Thanks aegidian and the other devs for making a great game.

Thanks to Winston for hosting the source on his FTP. If I'd had to have build SYN as well that may have been the straw that broke the camels back :wink:
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Spooky wrote:
I'm getting some pretty weird errors when I fire up the app though.

2006-02-13 15:01:13.842 oolite[152214] OPENGL_DEBUG GL_ERROR (1280) 'invalid enumerant' in: SkyEntity after drawing <SkyEntity: 111c40a8>

This I ascribe to an unsupported GL function? (This current machine is OpenGL 1.1 complient only)
Oolite checks for GL errors after each draw method to try to catch stuff like this.

This is most likely a drawing style that's defined for OpenGL 1.2+, let me have a look... mm... possibly one or more of the vertex array pointer enumerants?

Spooky wrote:
2006-02-13 15:01:08.023 oolite[152214] don't know how to load entity 'http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd' id '-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN'
.:3: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
<plist version="1.0">
That's a common problem with linux versions of Oolite when reading Apple plists. It's not harmful, but could be worked around.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

You see both of those warnings on Linux, they don't seem to cause a problem (the DTD warning is just whining because it can't find the DTD - it's entirely harmless).
Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Spooky »

You see both of those warnings on Linux, they don't seem to cause a problem
That's good... at least its not just me then :wink:

I'm gonna try and bang a little self contained package together which I'll hopefully have finished by tomorrow (depending on how much of bitch GNUstep is going to continue to be). I'm talking to the Nekoware guys about a proper build but there's some nasty GCC-isms in SDL_gfx and of course GNUstep that are causing a bit of a stumbling block.

Still, it's good to put this 16 processor supercomputer to some use at last :D
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Oolite isn't (particularly) multithreaded - the main game is one single thread so unfortnately, the other 15 processors will be wasted!

Post a screen shot of it running in a window on your desktop, too.
Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Spooky »

Oolite isn't (particularly) multithreaded - the main game is one single thread so unfortnately, the other 15 processors will be wasted!
Yeah, it barely uses one when running but I was talking more about the compiling :wink:
Post a screen shot of it running in a window on your desktop, too
Your wish is my command...
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oolite under Mac OS X uses eigh threads, but most of them are related to sound.¹ My working copy also has one that logs object allocations every second, and one which theoretically loads textures asynchronously. Only the latter provides any significant performance advantage to multiple-processor systems… or rather, it would if [NSPortMessage sendBeforeDate:] didn’t consistently crash in a nonsensical way. Bah, humbug, etc.

Now, if we could move AI into a separate thread… and maybe mesh loading. And then do updates + physics separately from rendering. ;-)

¹CoreAudio’s real-time feeder thread, some other CoreAudio thread, OOSound reaper thread, OOMusic streamer, three Speech Manager threads. Also the main thread and the NSUIHeartBeat thread (I think this is used to animate progress bars).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

…and now that crash is fixed, but I can’t even start working on the next one because XCode has randomly decided to ignore my build settings and compile Oolite in such a way that I can’t step through code using the debugger. *Aargh!* *rampage*
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

That really is cool seeing Oolite on yet another platform.

Well done!
Regards,
David Taylor.
Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Spooky »

That really is cool seeing Oolite on yet another platform.

Well done!
Thanks, I hope it inspires other users of 'exotic' machines to have a bash. The more the merrier and all that :wink:
Now, if we could move AI into a separate thread… and maybe mesh loading. And then do updates + physics separately from rendering. ;-)
Heh heh, that works for me... massively parallel is my bread and butter :)
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Treating AI, physics iteration + collision, and rendering as three serial stages in a pipeline, then doing them in separate threads is the easiest way to make use of multiple processors in a typical game. The AI could obviously be parallelised further, as could the physics if you use a space partitioning scheme.

Unfortunately, going from “easiest way” to “easy” isn’t all that, er, easy in the context of an existing engine not designed that way.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Spooky: that is way cool. How many FPS are you getting (press Shift-F for the framerate display), and what's the spec of the machine?