Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BB Facebook 'like' button

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: BB Facebook 'like' button

Post by Thargoid »

Fair enuff. Although just because people can post any kind of rubbish they want, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea to make doing so a fully automated and push-button action.

The buttonless style would be most appreciated, thank you :) And yes I do agree that the katana wielders and the first post approval is a very good way of dealing with the spam (we do the same in t'other place, where I'm the main katana wielder), although I would have no wish to give them more work to do.

And of course the computer is my friend, that's why I'm green level ;)
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Thargoid wrote:
Although just because people can post any kind of rubbish they want, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea to make doing so a fully automated and push-button action.
You may have misunderstood my explanation.

The button does not publish anything here at all. Instead it publishes a link to here on the user's Facebook page.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Oooooo, I love a good heated debate. :D
This is a real 'Marmite' issue isn't it, you either love it or hate it. Unless you're like me! I can see that today when social networking* is clearly such a big part of so many people's lives that something like this is enevitable and even desirable, but equally I can sympathise with the 'none of that nonsense here, thank you' camp.
Personally, I don't mind if it stays or goes. I don't expect to use it and wouldn't miss it if it went again, but it is inobtrusive and my visual cortex has already started to filter it out.
Ultimately if it brings more attention to the Board and the Game, I guess that's probably a good thing.

* My social network!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

You can now choose 'No Facebook' by clicking User Control Panel then 'Board Preferences' and choose My board style: No Facebook from the drop down list. Then click 'submit'.

Presto chango - no 'like' button.

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

aegidian wrote:
You may have misunderstood my explanation.

The button does not publish anything here at all. Instead it publishes a link to here on the user's Facebook page.
I understood that - whilst I on principle have nothing to do with Farcebook, I don't do so from a standpoint of ignorance. My wife is a Farmville addict (it balances up the time I spend on Oolite so I can't really complain) and so has a Farcebook presence. I know how the "like" buttons and similar work, and how such information posted (and re-posted) on walls gets harvested and abused with alarming frequency.

I can appreciate the viewpoint and idea of using it to gain more people knowing about and downloading the game and supporting it, but as with everything it will tend to attract not just those sort of people.

Time to go change preferences. Thank you at least for showing the consideration and listening to those of us who don't want the damn thing.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It seems the debate doesn't only take place in this thread. I just noticed that CaptKev has added a fake 'hate' button to his sig. 8)

Oh, and my previous post with the screenshot here in the thread has got a boxed '1' next to the 'like' button. Does that mean that one forum denizen pressed that button?
Last edited by Commander McLane on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Well, if it prompts a flood of spamlike rubbish it's pretty easy to switch it off now and count the experiment a failure. Thanks for feeding back, it's really useful because I have an unfortunate tendency to want everyone to be happy. :)

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Has the Facebook button/"like" link been taken off? It's gone! (It may have fallen victim to some of my no script settings in firefox, but I have disabled No Script for the Oolite bb.

As for preference, none really. I'm on Facebook, mainly to keep track of children and their Internet presence, but I never hit "like buttons", and will only ever do so when they also introduce a dislike button, at least to all the commercial/news/etc. pages where the like buttons are popping up.

Edit: I have not disabled the functionality in the Control Panel.
Edit2: Confirmed the the no script add on for Firefox is in fact blocking the button.
Last edited by Gimi on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

And now I have that dilemma of curiosity! My initial reaction was to think "right lets get rid of the damn thing. But then I will always think "did someone "like" my last comment?" and enable to have a look and then disable it after may initial disappointment of seeing not one click.
But my initial scepticism that this thread would degenerate into - who can think of the best insult thread - hasn't came true. So that is a plus.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

aegidian wrote:
You can now choose 'No Facebook' by clicking User Control Panel then 'Board Preferences' and choose My board style: No Facebook from the drop down list. Then click 'submit'.

Thank you, sir... sweet.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I'm one of the people who likes to keep things separate. On Facebook, my use of "liking" things is strictly limited to comments/statuses posted to Facebook. I find the idea of "liking" pages weird. And I find it a tad annoying to see Facebook stuff popping up all over the internet telling me I can "share" with one click on such a button. So I'm probably going to turn the thing off.

That said, I wouldn't mind an in-board like button, as a way to agree with peoples' comments. Although this probably isn't something that can be easily implemented, and in the rare case that there's a serious disagreement could serve to alienate people.

Just some thoughts of a half-asleep squirrel...
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

If you're not seeing the button it may be that your board style is set to 'No Facebook'.

You should choose the style 'subsilver2' by clicking User Control Panel then 'Board Preferences' and then pick My board style: subsilver2 from the drop down list. Then click 'submit'.

Presto chango - discreet little 'like' buttons at the bottom left of each post.

Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

aegidian wrote:

Thanks for that sir! Keeps the forum behaviour in the same style of Oolite OXPs itself - if you don't like something, you don't install it.
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

By popular request (well, one person) I have created the following:

All can be downloaded in a zip file here - feel free to use them as links, avatars, whatever...no attribution needed (just so it's clear). Just don't link them straight from my site.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Commander McLane wrote:
It seems the debate doesn't only take place in this thread. I just noticed that CaptKev has added a fake 'hate' button to his sig. 8)
Someone's paying attention :D
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki