Hi-res pictures from Fukushima

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Hi-res pictures from Fukushima

Post by Smivs »

Some nice/scary/awesome (*delete as appropriate) high-resolution photos of the damage at the Fukushima power plant taken by un-manned drone aircraft.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Hi-res pictures from Fukushima

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Scary
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

It's the stuff you can't see that's the scary bit.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It looks far too much like Chernobyl for comfort.

The fact that the 28th March saw radiation hit Scotland is scary enough for me. That's radiation from half way around the world now starting to affect the UK.

Maybe we're on course for the end of the world next December.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Selezen wrote:

The fact that the 28th March saw radiation hit Scotland is scary enough for me. That's radiation from half way around the world now starting to affect the UK.

It's only a tiny little bit of radioactive iodene here ... not even enough to make a skinned knee glow in the dark. And the fact that some of it was detected at Dounreay does make me wonder if they're not pulling a "Quick! Let's blame some of this crap on someone else!" manoeuvre. :wink:

The good people at xkcd produced an interesting chart comparing various radioactive dosage levels: http://xkcd.com/radiation/
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Disembodied wrote:
Selezen wrote:

It's only a tiny little bit of radioactive iodene here ... not even enough to make a skinned knee glow in the dark. And the fact that some of it was detected at Dounreay does make me wonder if they're not pulling a "Quick! Let's blame some of this crap on someone else!" manoeuvre. :wink:

The good people at xkcd produced an interesting chart comparing various radioactive dosage levels: http://xkcd.com/radiation/
My wife's a radiographer by 1st qualification and used to work in Radiation Protection - and that's possibly the best contextual/visualisation chart I've seen on the subject. Brilliant.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

The chart is good, but the video is more entertaining.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
Selezen wrote:

My wife's a radiographer by 1st qualification and used to work in Radiation Protection - and that's possibly the best contextual/visualisation chart I've seen on the subject. Brilliant.
Yup have to agree. Plain English is what you need around a subject like this. You have to see it to understand it.