1.62 System Requirements?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

FlyingBlind
Above Average
Above Average

1.62 System Requirements?

Post by FlyingBlind »

I've been playing v 1.62 for a little over a week now, and have noticed that sometimes the animation redraws tend to hang for a second, as in maneuvering during combat with multiple pirates, or during the white flash of a ship exploding.

Never one to rule out "Operator Error," I thought I'd mention it here to see what I might be doing wrong. I'm running 1.62 binary on a Powerbook G4
with 1.67Ghz processor and 1.5 Gb RAM. I use an external flat screen running at 1280x1024, 75 Hz. I have no OXP's installed, (but not for long), and when I play, my beta test habit of shutting down all other applications is the modus operandi.

Surely I'm not overtaxing the system here?

Thanks for any help.

Dan
Oolite? Is that like Bud Lite?
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

Your specs should be plenty good to run Oolite... one of the regulars here is still running on a mid range G3. :)

I'm personally running the linux build on a P3 866 with 256MB and an old GeForce4 card; aside from an intermittent bug causing a memory leak, it runs well.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

A whole second? I'm running Oolite on a G3@350 MHz,384Mb, and have little hangups too, but they are fractions of a second, when the engine loads new textures. Maybe you have some systemsettings that let your Hard Drive spin down?
Also when there's a lot happening, the game tends to slow down, but that's the collision AI struggling, I often get down to 4fps in such cases (4fps is the minimum, in practice it can run slower, but it will still show 4fps.)

OTOH, I do think 1.62 'micro-freezes' more than the previous builds, I originally thought that was because I had the GMail notifier running, disabling it helped, but not much...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Collision detection is not AI.

Collision detection does struggle when there are a lot of entities, but not appreciably more when those entities are close to you; that is, for the normal usage of “a lot happening”, collision detection isn’t really the issue.
Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

Here's an off-the-wall suggestion: are you running from somehwere in your home directory (like straight off your desktop) with filevault enabled? I've never tried doing that, but I'd guess that unzipping a texture under such circumstance could lead to a significant hang, even on such a system as yours.
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"
FlyingBlind
Above Average
Above Average

Post by FlyingBlind »

Sorry about my inaccurate mention of the delay time. It does hang for less than a second, possibly 1/2. I'll be more observant of that when it happens again.

After posting last night, I did see comments about turning the Gmail notifier off, which I plan to do at my earliest opportunity.

At present, Oolite is located in my "Applications" folder on the hard drive, and not running from the desktop. I hadn't considered any filevault connection, but I'd be willing to check it out. Thanks, all, for your thoughts.

Dan
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

It's probably loading textures. The PowerBook, being a portable, has a low power low RPM hard disk at the expense of disk speed. I only occasionally get a percetable pause on my desktop system, but on my G4 powerbook, I get a very brief pause (nothing as long as a second!) whenever a texture is loaded.

There are several implementation methods that could get around this:

1. Accept you're going to eventually load all the textures anyway, so preload them all (certainly the default game texture).
2. Load them on a different thread, so you don't block Oolite's main thread while waiting for a texture to come off disk and get uncompressed.

(2) would be the most fraught implementation, though.
FlyingBlind
Above Average
Above Average

Post by FlyingBlind »

Winston,

That makes a great deal of sense. The preloading of textures sounds like the solution here. I'm also looking for info to compare the speed of my laptop's drive to a 250Gb outboard drive I keep for storage of video projects. If it is indeed faster, I might try running Oolite there via firewire.

Back to preloading. I haven't gone into the file structure before. Where/how would I proceed to preload the textures? Thanks for your ideas.

Dan
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’ve already implemented async loading of textures, but that implementation was a mess.

I’m working on a new material system with mip-mapping and general Shiny. Loading will be asynchronous by default, although I’ve stuck some disabling macros in in case it goes boom under GNUStep. I’ve currently got inter-thread communication problems, but they’ll go away at some point. (This is my displacement activity for sound bugs…)