Game play in 75.1

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Game play in 75.1

Post by Alex »

Greetings Commanders,
I have reacently installed 1.75.1
Apart from the couple of days it took to sort out the oxpers, Game play has been excelent.

Now if anyone can point out the galaxy, system and ship name of the random hits henchmans flight trainer. I may have a somewhat heated discussion (laserblue heat).
Costing me a small fortune on 'Iron hide' repairs! Not to mention the sqauds of adapted drone fighters lost!! And they don't come cheap.

Also just started 'The feudal systems' adventure. Only on my second delivery job, but stopped in to the hunting lodge to see what it's about. Don't think I'll be making any wagers yet. 0.003/1. Ye right, I'll waste time betting 100Cr for a max of 3Cr return!
Though that might have something to do with my ship the Gertrude, a Caddy OMG. and just maybe the 12 thousand or so confirmed kills on my log.

Yes Officer. They were ALL really BAD pilots.

Only one small thing, there is a noticeable delay between docking/landing and the initial info screen, a bit alike to the delay whan exiting hyperspace. Though I think that is more to do with TDM (This Damn Machine) than anything else.

Regretably 75 will be my last upgrade. From what I've read on what's to come with Oolite 2 this TDM just won't hack it.
Still 74 and from what I've played in 75 will keep me and tdm going for years to come. And there are heaps of adventures/oxp's I haven't even loaded yet.
Remember, there was about 20 years between Elite and Oolite. I'll maybe get a better tdm before the next 20.

To all the smarter people that make this game possible, Heaps and heaps of thanks.
Every time I boot it up, makes me feel like a king, of my ship anyway.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Game play in 75.1

Post by Thargoid »

At least IronHide now protects your hull, rather than your shields. So there should be a few less repairs, unless you're severely into laser-etching of your ship ;)

And although Oolite 2 is on the scanner now, as has been mentioned elsewhere those of us with TDM's (nice way of putting it) aren't being entirely abandoned. And at least if it's left in a stable condition there should still be some good fun to be had, plus who knows we OXP makers may still generate new stuff for it as well as for 2.0 and beyond...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Alex wrote:
Regretably 75 will be my last upgrade. From what I've read on what's to come with Oolite 2 this TDM just won't hack it.
No, it won't. 1.75 is merely the beta (or—more realistically—the series of betas) before the next stable release, which we expect to be 1.76. Once Oolite has a stable release again, it would be a little silly to stay with its still-buggy beta version.

So, from what we know up to this moment, your last upgrade will be 1.76, which will be released at some yet-unknown point in the future.

And there may even be further improvements beyond bug-squashing, so we may even have an Oolite 1.77 or 1.78 at some point. That's why Ahruman referred to the finished product we're heading towards as 1.7x.

Oolite 2 is another matter entirely. Your TDM will probably be long gone before Oolite 2 sees the light of the world. Or do you intend to keep TDM for at least another five years?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Commander McLane wrote:
Or do you intend to keep TDM for at least another five years?
At the rate things are happening with Oolite, I bet it won't take five years. Well, possibly (but unlikely) for the stable version of 2.0, but for a playable test/beta of 2.0, don't belive it. (I like to be positive, and it would be nice to beat Frontier and have Oolite 2.0 before they release Elite IV (Might not be that hard though).
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Gimi wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Or do you intend to keep TDM for at least another five years?
At the rate things are happening with Oolite, I bet it won't take five years. Well, possibly (but unlikely) for the stable version of 2.0, but for a playable test/beta of 2.0, don't belive it. (I like to be positive, and it would be nice to beat Frontier and have Oolite 2.0 before they release Elite IV (Might not be that hard though).
Ahruman has expressed his hope that it doesn't take another five years. (It took five years to get from 1.65 to where we're now, and it has been five years since Ahruman took the lead on development, both approximately.)

However, it's difficult to predict, especially the future, and especially for a voluntary project. It is a safe bet that at least some of the older hardware of today's Oolite players will byte the dust until Oolite 2 sees the light of day.

As far as beating Frontier to the release of Elite IV is concerned I have very little doubt: Any time frame for Oolite 2 is infinitely faster than never (which is the only realistic perspective for Elite IV).
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Commander McLane wrote:
As far as beating Frontier to the release of Elite IV is concerned I have very little doubt: Any time frame for Oolite 2 is infinitely faster than never (which is the only realistic perspective for Elite IV).
*giggles* :D :D :D :D