Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite vanished from the USB drive?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Oolite vanished from the USB drive?

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hi. Just in case this isn't the USB key being funny, thought it worth mentioning that I had for the second time some serious directory problems with oolite. It's presumably a problem with the USB stick but it's quite new and hasn't been used a lot, note also only oolite has been affected from what I can see. I've been running 1.74.2 until just the other day, no problems, got up to 13/14 thousand kills and 8 million in the bank (not an attempt at bragging, read on!), trying this and that to keep things interesting. Anyway decided to install 1.75. Ran okay having done a clean install and put in only OXPs that were compatible. Seemed fine until it was a bit juddery in one session. Closed down, took out the key, went back to it later in the day and . . . wtf? No oolite folder. Completely vanished. Nothing recoverable and - slaps head - didn't keep a back-up of that commander. Had a look with a couple of utilities. Nothing appeared to be wrong with anything else on the key, just oolite had vanished, virus scanner picked up nothing, etc. So back to the drawing board, why not? Running 1.75.1 now, got up to average. It's been running much of today, on and off, but earlier on, again, went a bit juddery. I shut it down okay but I had noticed some OXP equipment wasn't working, so checked the directory and sure enough, a load of OXP folders were suddenly not there. Out of, say, 30 or 40, about 10 were missing. So I'll ditch the key but thought it worth mentioning in case something really bizarre was going on with the new version, rewriting directories or whatever. Cheers and thanks again for all the great work!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Oolite vanished from the USB drive?

Post by another_commander »

I think it must have been the USB key. Oolite is not deleting its own folders and I imagine that, if that were unintentionally the case, we would have been flooded by reports of missing files by now.

The only thing I can think of for this particular case is to check the amount of free space on your USB key. Was it nearly full?
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Oolite vanished from the USB drive?

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hi, thanks for responding. The drive is only partly full, about 15% with 3.5 GB or so free. I agree, can't see it's oolite either but as there were a few things that were odd all at once (drive not used a lot, even newer laptop, only oolite folders affected, no apparent problems with the drive in utilities, coincidence with oolite 1.75 installation) I thought a "just in case" sort of communication was worth it. Cheers.