Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I like 1.75

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I like 1.75

Post by Ganelon »

So far, 1.75 is a definite winner. It runs smooth, and I like the added items that are user configurable from within the game for joystick and keyboard. I've played it a few hours a day for the past couple days, and so far as I can tell, it works fine. I haven't found any glitches to report.

It may be psychological, but joystick seems to me to be a bit more responsive, and aiming seems a bit better.

Congrats on an excellent job, it's a great version.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: I like 1.75

Post by Smivs »

Seconded. It is a fine piece of work. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Waaahh!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

El Viejo wrote:
Waaahh!
Isn't it time to change your 'location' to "Stuck in dry dock"? :cry:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Smivs wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Waaahh!
Isn't it time to change your 'location' to "Stuck in dry dock"? :cry:
Could be Dry Dock for Oolite 0.08b.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ganelon wrote:
It may be psychological, but joystick seems to me to be a bit more responsive, and aiming seems a bit better.
Unfortunately for you, the more responsive joystick is a bug that’s been fixed for 1.75.1.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Hmm.. I might skip that update then, or at least put it off as per my usual fashion with updates. I always worry that updates will mess up something I like. :lol:

But in any case, the bug handles pretty nice! Kind of odd for a bug to be better.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I've just installed 1.75.1, and my logs are enormous :shock: ...they seem to list every loading script many times. Is this right?
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Smivs wrote:
I've just installed 1.75.1, and my logs are enormous :shock: ...they seem to list every loading script many times. Is this right?
Had same issue with 1.75.1, reverted to 1.75.0 - though must admit my joystick worked better under the development version (i.e. no drift)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The logs are inflated for a reason and that is to help isolate some crash cases that were reported with 1.75. Remember, these are beta testing versions of the game we are running now and the target is to squash as many of these bugs as possible. Having logs with added detail is thus required. Added logging has next to no effect on game performance, unless such logging happens per frame or similar, which is unlikely at best.

However, if keeping log size small means that much to some people, it is very easy (but not recommended) to revert to the previous log situation, as it was with 1.75. Just open logcontrol.plist inside oolite.app/Resources/Config and find this line at the start:

Code: Select all

$betaCrashIssue	= yes;		// For message classes temporarily activated in beta 1.75.1.
Just change the yes to no and your logs will return to normal size. Just don't expect quick resolution if it crashes and you are not in position to give us a full log.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks, the massive log was making de-bugging OXPs a nightmare - it took forever to find the parts relating to the WIP.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Smivs wrote:
Thanks, the massive log was making de-bugging OXPs a nightmare - it took forever to find the parts relating to the WIP.
There should be a reference to the name of the script which has produced the error in each log entry. So you only need to search for the names of the scripts you're just testing.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

That's true, but it's easier when they're the only ones there!
HUMPERS
Above Average
Above Average

Post by HUMPERS »

Can I just say this game has been a revelation for me. I loved it on the Amiga 500 all those years ago (it was my favourite), but always in the back of my mind realised that this game had so much more to offer in terms of what could be incorporated in its environment especially in terms of the realism aspect. All of the people behind the game deserve massive credit because you've made a classic game even better. :D

Anyway, back to my original question....1.75! I have just updated to this latest release and it appears to be performing wonderfully! However, I am currently running cargo deliveries at present; the big paying ones, platinum, gold etc and everytime, without fail I am greeted, sorry ambushed after witchspace with around 5-8 ships not in happy moods. Is this part of the realism aspect? Before I would go to each system and as long as I stayed out of the spacelanes, didn't hit much in the way of hostile traffic. I am currently working through Military Fiasco as well but, following advice from these boards, are just doing my own thing and dealing with the military pirate ships as and when they appear. I have 2 messages from the Military saying well done blah blah blah keep going with finding those pirates. The ambushes have started though since the update. Is this right? Easy one to start off with, i hope.

P.S. Love the Naval Energy Grid! Bought a Military stingray with Naval Energy Unit already installed and have added this bit of kit. Its great!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hi, HUMPERS, and first of all welcome to the boards, and of course to this great game! :D

Which other OXPs do you have installed, and what is your current legal status? Or are you in the middle of other missions as well? All these could create additional hostile ships at the witchpoint. The basic game won't.