Equip idea: Pylon mounted Mining machine

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Equip idea: Pylon mounted Mining machine

Post by pagroove »

Equipment idea

Idea 1. PMMM: Pylon Mounted Mining Machine

I'm a lazy miner. I hate scooping up all those seperate splinters after breaking up a large asteroid. Could there be a pylon mounted missile (mining machine) that locks on a large asteroid. Then flies to it. Then starts up braking this into boulders and splinters. When its ready the machine wraps all splinters up automatically an presents itself to you as a scoopable container with all those minerals/ore or gold inside. This of course comes with a price and is only meant for those really big asteroids.

You can even have variants. The more expensive variants could extract more valuable ore.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Equip idea: Pylon mounted Mining machine

Post by Bugbear »

Ooohh I love getting lazy.

This is a great idea...I wonder, would the mining missiles be reusable? Do the missiles have a maximum tonnage (TC) that they can retreve, so if you come across a huge asteroid, it will take a couple of missles to do the job? I presume the missle will change colour on the scanner once it's full or there are no other asteroids / boulders available for mining.

And what about the opportunities for theft - that sort of thing would really piss off a miner. It would make a hit-and-run strike on a rock hermit that much more profitable.

Considering the rock hermit locator is in the range of 5 figures, a device such as this would have to be expensive.

Maneouverablility of the missile: should it get slower the fuller it gets?

Just a few of the things that popped into my head...gotta love this game!!!! :-)
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

No it isn't reusable because the missile is converted in a container that can be scooped. And yes it is possible that others can scoop it
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

pagroove wrote:
Equipment idea

I'm a lazy miner. I hate scooping up all those seperate splinters after breaking up a large asteroid. Could there be a pylon mounted missile (mining machine) that locks on a large asteroid. Then flies to it. Then starts up braking this into boulders and splinters. When its ready the machine wraps all splinters up automatically an presents itself to you as a scoopable container with all those minerals/ore or gold inside. This of course comes with a price and is only meant for those really big asteroids.

You can even have variants. The more expensive variants could extract more valuable ore.
Equipment idea

I started to work on that, because I was trying to learn how AI's work. It seemed to be good start point with an aim.

The only problem is I will need some good models later for the MinerPod. I am using a slightly modified version of worm.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

If it's too costly, as a single use device it just won't make any sense. If it can't be used profitably, people wouldn't buy i9t and certainly wouldn't use up a pylon space for it. What it will bring back, and how much it will bring back are things I'd want to know as a commander before ever considering buying one.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Probably Tonight I will release the Beta, I am doing alpha tests at the moment :D

It wont be single use equipment. :!:
My OXP's
lave
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.

Post by lave »

I think that's a great idea.
I'd love to fire an automated mining missile at an asteroid then sit back and let it do all the work. Not so much to be 'lazy' but because it can work on one asteroid, whilst I am mining another in the normal way.
Of course that would probably also mean that a rouge pirate might take the chance to attack you to steal your mining missle once it is full.

I'd also like to see an asteroid scanner. A simple peice of equipment where you target the asteroid and it gets scanned, giving you basic info about it's makeup.

You then decide if it is worth mining for any precious metals, ect... if you are getting bored with just basic minerals all the time.

This asteroid scanner would only be available to those that have a Ore Processor installed.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

lave wrote:
I think that's a great idea.
It is done. Look at the Expansion Pack Forum for MinerPod or Other Oxp's in my signature will allow you to down load it.
My OXP's
lave
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.

Post by lave »

That was quick!!!

I will try it out now.

Thanks.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Since it is not in 1.75 compatible folder, is it compatible with 1.75?
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Sarin wrote:
Since it is not in 1.75 compatible folder, is it compatible with 1.75?

Yes it is compatible with 1.75. Writen and tested on 1.75.0.
My OXP's