Mission and system OXPs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Mission and system OXPs

Post by TGHC »

Which is your favourite mission?

Mine is Assassins Guild, purely because it was ground breaking in its concept and size, but I'm a couple of years out of date.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Mission and system OXPs

Post by another_commander »

Of the ones I've played so far, it will have to be Cataclysm.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

TGHC wrote:
Mine is Assassins Guild,
another_commander wrote:
Of the ones I've played so far, it will have to be Cataclysm.
I like both, although I have to admit that I (a) may not be completely objective and (b) never actually played Cataclysm like a player would, although I've done every single thing in it dozens of times over.

I have to mention Ionics as well, though, because it was the first larger-scale mission I came across (the beginner's missions in Galaxy 1 are fairly simple and straightforward in comparison), and for the first time got my imagination going about what could be done mission-wise. I would name it as the single most-important inspiration for Cataclysm (and Equilibrium, and Ghosts From the Past; on which I started work much earlier than Cataclysm, but which got stalled in various stages of the process).
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Trident Down is one of my favourites. Large, grand, and plenty of choices!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I only fairly recently got into missions. I enjoyed the challenge of the Galactic Navy special ops mission, and have done quite a few Random Hits. I did try Assassins but got fed up pretty quickly when the Soin Clan decided to get revenge on me. They just showed up after every launch and every hyperspace jump for days on end it really got in the way of enjoying the game, so I un-installed it eventually.
My on-going mission is a self-generated one, namely to at least get within short-range-chart range of every single planet of every galaxy, to see what they are. The interesting looking ones I'll visit.
More recently I've been living in Armageddon, so the mission is simply to survive. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

I like Random Hits.

My preferred one: "Trumbles" when I played Elite for the first time...
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Ooo now that requires some thought...

As assassins has an amazing variety with long term effects to the whole of G7, which I really like.
Cataclysm also has a reoccurring mission which is great. Love the offer at the end, inspired touch.
Random Hits just goes on and on which is the beauty of it. I never go too long without taking a job.
Which is also true of Galactic navy, the same as Random Hits.
Ups is also a must as it pops up now and then and if you have the view of never turn down an offer it makes all the more fun.

so I think that it is a combination of a lot of missions that leave their mark after the main body of the mission is complete. That also add a lot of flavour to the Ooniverse around you. I recall docking at one station just after destroying a pirate base and apprehending my mark, I also was delivering a parcel of some description for UPS and on top of all that I got a hive mission and also a reward for engaging the bugs. So the scripts were almost never ending. It just goes to show how much work and effort that people have put into this game that they all ran at the same time and smoothly.
But if you pushed me for a single answer I would have to say Assassins Guild for a number of reasons. The sheer size and length is truly impressive. All the unique ships and systems are amazing. The difference in the missions bring a variety which I never get bored of. The fact it makes you do bad things and then in an almost search for redemption to fight for a noble cause at the end (Ok I maybe pushing it here, but immersion is great in my Ooniverse). Also the changes it leaves in G7 are brilliant.
Once 1.75 has its full stable version I will start with a new commander and do them all again!
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I've only done the native missions... as Smivs says, the mission in Armageddon is simply to survive.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

El Viejo wrote:
I've only done the native missions... as Smivs says, the mission in Armageddon is simply to survive.
Stands back in amazement!

Each to his own I guess, good on you!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"