Oolite 1.75 doesn't start

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite 1.75 doesn't start

Post by Commander McLane »

Okay, I downloaded Oolite 1.75 Mac, adjusted its keyconfig zu some of the values I'm used to, and fired up Oolite:
Oolite failed to start up, because an unhandled exception occurred.

An exception of type NSInvalidArgumentException occurred. If this problem persists, please file a bug report.
I haven't yet updated any OXPs and have a full AddOns-folder. So perhaps it's OXP-related?

EDIT: Yes, definitely OXP-related. Removal of the AddOns-folder lets me start the game. So now for the search for the culprit.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Oolite 1.75 doesn't start

Post by another_commander »

Try it without OXPs first. Then, add everything except Debug.oxp and see what happens. I can't speak for the Mac, but we had cases of crashes and weird behaviour on Windows when we were testing the new JS engine, until it became evident that the old (v1.74) Debug OXP was not playing well with the rest of the game at some point.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Debug.oxp has a max_version, and Oolite normally alerts me that it's not working.

After a lot of OXP-moving (I moved single OXPs out of my AddOns, but that didn't help; turns out it's two OXPs :evil: ) I found the culprits: Cataclysm and Thargoid_Carrier 3.0 (my development version).

In both cases the exception happens after (or while?) loading shipdata:

Code: Select all

[shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
  [shipData.load.error]: ----- WARNING: The ship caduceus-alpha has an undefined orientation for its cmount subentity. Setting it now at (1,0,0,0)
  [shipData.load.error]: ----- WARNING: The ship caduceus-alpha has an undefined orientation for its cmount subentity. Setting it now at (1,0,0,0)
  [shipData.load.error]: ----- WARNING: The ship caduceus-omega has an undefined orientation for its cmount subentity. Setting it now at (1,0,0,0)
  [shipData.load.error]: ----- WARNING: The ship caduceus-omega has an undefined orientation for its cmount subentity. Setting it now at (1,0,0,0)
  [shipData.load.error]: ----- WARNING: The ship caduceus-omega-player has an undefined orientation for its cmount subentity. Setting it now at (1,0,0,0)
  [shipData.load.error]: ----- WARNING: The ship caduceus-omega-player has an undefined orientation for its cmount subentity. Setting it now at (1,0,0,0)
  [shipData.load.error]: ----- WARNING: The ship caduceus-alpha-player has an undefined orientation for its cmount subentity. Setting it now at (1,0,0,0)
  [shipData.load.error]: ----- WARNING: The ship caduceus-alpha-player has an undefined orientation for its cmount subentity. Setting it now at (1,0,0,0)
[startup.exception]: ***** Unhandled exception during startup: NSInvalidArgumentException (*** -[NSPlaceholderMutableString initWithString:]: nil argument).
Does that give you a clue where I have to look for the error?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
Debug.oxp has a max_version, and Oolite normally alerts me that it's not working.
Not a very safe assumption, especially if you’ve been using nightlies. There’s a 1.75 version on [EliteWiki] the wiki.
Commander McLane wrote:
Does that give you a clue where I have to look for the error?
Not really. Please send me your devlopment version of Thargoid_Carrier. (And when you get exceptions on startup triggered by OXPs, please don’t try to work around them in the OXP without first sending us the version that triggers the bug.)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The exception was triggered by Cataclysm having subentity definitions with no roles specified, which the code to update “thargon” roles to “EQ_THARGON” wasn’t expecting. Fixed in r4379 (workaround: add roles="" as needed). I haven’t seen any errors relating to Thargoid Carrier. The Caduceus warnings seem clear enough.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

The Thargoid Carrier subentities also had no roles. I added the key, and the exception is gone. :)

Do I understand correctly that having no roles defined is a fatal problem only for Thargoid subentities? I don't know for sure, but I think I have many other (non-thargoid) subentities without roles in my various shipdata.

I didn't understand correctly. The three subentities without roles in Cataclysm shipdata are not Thargoid ships, but versions of Military Fiasco ships. I must have removed the roles key when I copied them, because it wasn't used at the time and I thought it to be superfluous.