V1.74.2 crashes every now and then

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

jimb
Above Average
Above Average

V1.74.2 crashes every now and then

Post by jimb »

Oolite crashes during a session, allways during a flight, never whikle docked.

no common factor observed/noticed.

Any comments/ideas?

Jmb Cobra III dangerous
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: V1.74.2 crashes every now and then

Post by another_commander »

Can you post Latest.log? Which operating system are we talking about?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

And which OXPs you have installed! That's also important.
In actual fact, it might be best/quicker all round if you post the top of Latest.log (up to where it says 'Loading complete'), so we can start figuring out where things are going wrong for you...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

For what it's worth I've had no crashes at all (windows XP), I am constantly adding OXP's, the only thing I get are high memory usage alerts and the occasional hang when it takes 5-10 seconds to respond to the keyboard.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
jimb
Above Average
Above Average

still no reply!? program crashes???

Post by jimb »

v 1.74.2 cobra Mk III dangerous.

Hi all

The program often crashes during a run, no common factor but usualy when a joystick button pressed, which is a frequent occurance!!!

Any thoughts,

BTW what is the UCP to set a signature

Best JimB
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: still no reply!? program crashes???

Post by Commander McLane »

Above you were asked to tell us which operating system you use, and to provide us with the content of latest.log.

We are still waiting for your reply. Without this information we cannot tell you what your problem is.

EDITed to avoid confusion after thread unification.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Topics merged. Please keep the same subject discussions under the same topic, no need to start new threads for the same thing.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi jimb,
You can set your sig on your profile page. From the main BB page, click on User control panel (top right of page), then in options, edit profile.
Cheers,
Smivs.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
jimb
Above Average
Above Average

Post by jimb »

AT last!

Sorry about this, I have been posting and could not find any of my posts or the replies.

I am using XP with 4 Meg Ram, I have NO OXP's that I know of.

I used to run elite on BBC Acorn in the 80's and ran Oolite on a PC a few years ago. Just got back to it so not aware of a lot of the new stuff

Here is latest Log, and yes, it had just crashed!

Thanks for any advice, Jim

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2011-02-10 17:54:09 +0000.
2 processors detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 1
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1280 x 1024
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted Mode - Resources paths:
Resources
../AddOns
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.2 ("2.1.2")
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce 9600 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (153):
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_NV_texture_shader2, GL_NV_texture_shader3, GL_NV_gpu_program4, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_NV_vertex_array_range, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_NV_vertex_program2, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_NV_vertex_program3, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_direct_state_access, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_SGIX_depth_texture, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_imaging, GL_NV_register_combiners, GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_bindable_uniform, GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_NV_multisample_coverage, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_NV_register_combiners2, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_SUN_slice_accum, GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object, GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_NV_transform_feedback, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_NV_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_NV_fragment_program_option, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_NV_fence, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, WGL_EXT_swap_control, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_NV_fragment_program2, GL_NV_float_buffer, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_SGIX_shadow, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_NV_vertex_program2_option, GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_NV_half_float, GL_NV_geometry_shader4, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_NV_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc, GL_NV_explicit_multisample, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_NV_fragment_program, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_NV_point_sprite, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_NV_texture_expand_normal, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
[rendering.opengl.shader.mode]: Shader mode set to SHADERS_FULL.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts:
oolite-cloaking-device 1.74.2
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.74.2
oolite-nova 1.74.2
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.74.2
oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, the log isn't telling us anything useful. It looks like the crashes you're getting are

1) really nasty
2) happening in some totally unexpected places...

The only thing I can think of is for you to try the nightly build which has got a bit more in the way of error tracking than what we had in 1.74.x - it installs to a different directory than your normal oolite install, and you can still use your current save game.
Hopefully the log might have more information, or maybe (even better) the root cause of your crashes has been resolved in trunk...

Do let us know how it goes! :)
jimb
Above Average
Above Average

Post by jimb »

Kaks wrote:
Hmm, the log isn't telling us anything useful. It looks like the crashes you're getting are

1) really nasty
2) happening in some totally unexpected places...

The only thing I can think of is for you to try the nightly build which has got a bit more in the way of error tracking than what we had in 1.74.x - it installs to a different directory than your normal oolite install, and you can still use your current save game.
Hopefully the log might have more information, or maybe (even better) the root cause of your crashes has been resolved in trunk...

Do let us know how it goes! :)
I had a look at "nightly build" and "trunk" ??&$?? Not clear what to do with it, the instructions use many acronyms and terminology that, I fear, assumes considerable prior knowledge.

As a retired designer, creator of assembly code and lecturer in Computer Science, I am not a stranger to the art but this did not help a lot, I get the feeling that the new Oolite comunity is run well but by folk who enjoy tinkering, not a problem unless you are not that sort of tinkerer!.

Anyway, I uninstalled Oolite and tried to re-install several times but after doing this the same problem returned.

I must point out that when I said the program crashes, it actualy switches off, stops, returns to screen shown prior to invocation!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

To run a nightly under Windows, I believe the process is: go here, download installer, run installer. Building is messier, but the point of nightlies is that the Super Nightly Robots do it for you.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

jimb wrote:
I had a look at "nightly build" and "trunk" ??&$?? Not clear what to do with it, the instructions use many acronyms and terminology that, I fear, assumes considerable prior knowledge.

As a retired designer, creator of assembly code and lecturer in Computer Science, I am not a stranger to the art but this did not help a lot, I get the feeling that the new Oolite comunity is run well but by folk who enjoy tinkering, not a problem unless you are not that sort of tinkerer!.

Anyway, I uninstalled Oolite and tried to re-install several times but after doing this the same problem returned.

I must point out that when I said the program crashes, it actualy switches off, stops, returns to screen shown prior to invocation!
Taking that process one step at a time:

if you follow the links, with any luck you'll get to a page containing something like:

Download Oolite-trunk setup
Windows (32bit): oolite-trunk-1.75.0.4324-dev.win32.exe (md5)

You right click the name of the file & download & run it. You then magically get a second version of Oolite, one that should help us both.

Unfortunately, reinstalling the same version of Oolite is only likely to help in case you went and modified some of Oolite files, so yes, I wouldn't have expected it to improve the situation.

Finally, typing 'nightly build trunk meaning' in google - without the single quotes gave me this mozilla page as the first link: you might want to have a look there, it seems to explain all the mumbo jumbo, at least to my possibly overtrained eye!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

We should probably mention that 1.75 will be out soon. On the one hand, you could wait and see if the crashes you’re seeing are fixed. On the other hand, it would be nice to know beforehand.

To be honest, though, for such vague symptoms we’re unlikely to be able to do anything before 1.75.0 anyway.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Ahruman wrote:
We should probably mention that 1.75 will be out soon. On the one hand, you could wait and see if the crashes you’re seeing are fixed. On the other hand, it would be nice to know beforehand.

To be honest, though, for such vague symptoms we’re unlikely to be able to do anything before 1.75.0 anyway.
How soon? I can't wait...