Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: BGS - BackgroundSet

Post by Svengali »

Optimus wrote:
At all Im happy with this OXP, but two things annoy me, because I listen own music when playing, ambient blahblah at stations and in the space around. So how exactly I can disable those and not lost other features?
Seems you want to disable the music. If so set this.stationMusic (line 12) to false, either by OXPConfig2.0.1 or editing.

Code: Select all

this.stationMusic = false;
Optimus wrote:
For now I replace all ambi_chatter and ambi_station to bgs-m_silence at script.js, but maybe more elegant way exist?
You could set this.ambientSounds to false. This will disable the engine ambient mumble too, but probably this is the easiest way.
Optimus wrote:
Also I try to disable ambientSounds at OXPConfig, but looks like this option do nothing...
Interesting. When docked the ambient stuff is not very loud, but on all screens there (except Loading screen) and switching it on/off via OXPConfig works pretty well for me. It's sometimes hard to spot, specially on F5 ambient and FX part are blending into each other. The difference is more feelable on other screens.

As Disembodied has already said FX is a Effects soundlayer and BGS uses three different layers (music, ambient sounds and effect sounds).
Optimus
Poor
Poor

Post by Optimus »

Thanks all you for the advices. Now I understand better how this three layers work together. I will disable music and sounds together at OXPconfig, not only sounds, and now all good . Thats because I have no idea that ambient talking layer are "music" :) All ideal for me now, so I'm happy.
Installed: E2F(dosbox), JJFFE_hell_mod(wine), Vegastrike(native), Oolite(native), Pioneer(native)
Playing now: Oolite, E2F, Vegastrike.

"Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Fine, fine. The important bit is that you have found your personal settings. Smells like a good result .-)
Have fun with Oolite.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

@Svengali.

We still have to do some sounds. For example the situation 'red' sound to make te set complete. I want to do some. So I'il see if I have some time this week.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

A suggestion: there's a lot of free space on the commodities screen. Maybe put an "average" column in the background, with prices given in the Ref Sheet as average? As a sort of a legend like the one that's on the Short Range Chart?

The OXP in itself is excellent by the way!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Zireael wrote:
A suggestion: there's a lot of free space on the commodities screen. Maybe put an "average" column in the background, with prices given in the Ref Sheet as average? As a sort of a legend like the one that's on the Short Range Chart?

A counter suggestion: no.

Gradually getting a feeling for the various prices is intended as an integral part of the core gameplay.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Kaks wrote:
Zireael wrote:

A counter suggestion: no.

Gradually getting a feeling for the various prices is intended as an integral part of the core gameplay.
/Bold by me/
Bolded part: Not gonna happen. There's Reference Sheet. There's cheatsheet. Everyone uses one of those.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Zireael wrote:
Bolded part: Not gonna happen. There's Reference Sheet. There's cheatsheet. Everyone uses one of those.
I don't (and never did). I think I even remembered some of the price ranges from the playing Elite many years ago.

But anyway, even if you're right and everyone uses those anyway: then why should the same information be put on the F8-screen?

And by the way: depending on your language localization there may not by so much space to spare on the F8-screen. I remember that I had in some cases trouble finding short enough German commodity names.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Zireael wrote:
There's Reference Sheet. There's cheatsheet. Everyone uses one of those.
Those are 2 of the things people can use to help them get a feel for prices. Please note that the Reference Sheet is provided as an integral part of the game too, and the price information is there precisely to help people learn the stuff at their own pace! :D

Of course, those of us with eidetic memory do miss out on the 'gradually getting the feeling for prices' part of the gameplay... ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

pagroove wrote:
We still have to do some sounds. For example the situation 'red' sound to make te set complete. I want to do some. So I'il see if I have some time this week.
Cool. There's still a lot to do. Some fresh chatter sounds would be nice too. I'm currently changing the script to the new customsounds stuff (btw. thanks a lot Ahruman, it makes things easier) and this will also have some consequences for the BGS patches for other soundsets (Halsis, Hawksound and CustomSounds).

About the F8 screen. Tokus Maximus has contacted me and I've send him the resources for it. When v1.75 is there we agreed to test his icons for this screen and for the used overlays (F1...F8). I'm also playing with some ideas for the Intro Screen and System Data Screen, but I'm not pleased with it yet. If this is done the Long Range Chart needs some tweaks as well.

Oh, and we shouldn't forget FlightLog .-)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I wonder if it also is possible to do (user optional of course) environmental sounds. It would be cool that if you deploy a Q-bomb that the shock wave makes a sort of sound through your ship even if you are far away. Combined with some screen static this would be cool. Difficult to implement though.

Edited to add: like in Drews trailer.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Thats a good point, Energy bombs can scare the sh*t out of you if you accidentally hit the tab key. Q-bombs should have an ominous rumble getting louder as they get closer to you
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

In the vacuum of space?

No-one can hear you rumble...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

That's true, but then you can get into arguments about Newtonian flight, object sizes etc, I don't recall too many issues about hearing energy bombs so why not, it just adds to the ambience. I'm not that bothered, but hitting the Tab key in error made you duck and if there were any Galcops around you're a marked man, so IMHO it does add to the flavour of the game we all love.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

TGHC wrote:
That's true, but then you can get into arguments about Newtonian flight, object sizes etc, I don't recall too many issues about hearing energy bombs so why not, it just adds to the ambience. I'm not that bothered, but hitting the Tab key in error made you duck and if there were any Galcops around you're a marked man, so IMHO it does add to the flavour of the game we all love.
Agree, and the ships systems are made for humans, and human senses. Thus, using sound in the cockpit in order to make the pilot aware of his surroundings and increasing his situational awareness would be a natural consequence. So, in my mind, the sounds are generated by the ship in order to keep me on my toes.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).