More serious niggle of the week

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

More serious niggle of the week

Post by JensAyton »

Several times now I’ve encountered laser-impervious entities – there are no impact effects and they don’t take damage. I’m pretty sure other people have mentioned this. It’s annoying to have a perfect position behind a Weeviloid Hunter and then have to waste two EMP-hardened missiles on it. :-/

Oh, and I’ve scooped at least two Trumble cannisters without being affected. Is this a bug, must food be present or am I just lucky? :-)
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Re: More serious niggle of the week

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

Ahruman wrote:
Several times now I’ve encountered laser-impervious entities – there are no impact effects and they don’t take damage. I’m pretty sure other people have mentioned this. It’s annoying to have a perfect position behind a Weeviloid Hunter and then have to waste two EMP-hardened missiles on it. :-/
I've also noticed this with Weeveloid Hunters. Nothing else. Just the Hunters...
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Re: More serious niggle of the week

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Ahruman wrote:

Oh, and I’ve scooped at least two Trumble cannisters without being affected. Is this a bug, must food be present or am I just lucky? :-)
No not lucky, just average. :p
check out the eagidian x-ships oxp shipdata.plist:
you'll see that only 1:10 trumble containers contain viable trumbles.
So you'll only be lucky if you scooped 11 of them without getting a trumble.

:)

about the we evils: maybe a subunit invulnerability issue?
Riding the Rocket!
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I've also noticed odd collision / laser-hit problems with Thargoids. It's a problem allright.

I'm researching a better approach to collision detection based on deriving an octree representation of the volume of each ship for v1.63+.

It's quite an efficient system and as Ahruman has pointed out, it's got to be better than sucky poly-poly collision detection.

That'll let missiles launch from the concave structures of ships for example.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

aegidian wrote:
I've also noticed odd collision / laser-hit problems with Thargoids. It's a problem allright.

I'm researching a better approach to collision detection based on deriving an octree representation of the volume of each ship for v1.63+.

It's quite an efficient system and as Ahruman has pointed out, it's got to be better than sucky poly-poly collision detection.

That'll let missiles launch from the concave structures of ships for example.
This is definitely a problem for me: I often can't hit Thargoids or Thargons at all. I mentioned this here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

aegidian wrote:
It sure is strange: when I encounter one, start shooting it, everything ok, the hits 'register', but then after it launches its robot-fighters, it looks like it becomes impervious...
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

Rxke wrote:
aegidian wrote:
It sure is strange: when I encounter one, start shooting it, everything ok, the hits 'register', but then after it launches its robot-fighters, it looks like it becomes impervious...
Makes thargoidwars.oxp a tad more... exciting. :shock:
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.