Witchfuel drive injectors

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Witchfuel drive injectors

Post by luminous »

Smivs wrote:
luminous wrote:
...but my usual approach of full speed with injection into the slot did not work too well the last time I tried it...lmao
I'm not surprised :D
Try docking her with the docking slot vertical instead of horizontal. She is 'tall' whereas the Cobby is wide, and with a bit of practise you'll find it works well. Also, because your view position is quite high, it should look as though you are too near to the top of the slot compared to what you are used to.
Hope this helps, cheers,
Smivs.

Oooh, never thought about the viewing position being different. For some reason I always thought the view that we "saw" was actually from a camera mounted in the nose. Therefore, regardless of the size of vessel your viewpoint would never change. This could have something to do with it.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

luminous wrote:
CheeseRedux wrote:
luminous wrote:
Is there another OXP that allows you to use your "fast dock" on navy stations?
No.
lol, sometimes a simple answer will suffice 8)

Oh well, will just have to re-learn how to fly again :)
You can always use the normal ('slow') docking computer function (although the docking computer sometimes screws things up as badly as you would've done yourself, so be warned). It works with any dockable entity by targeting the entity with 'T' and then activating the docking computer with SHIFT-'C'.

luminous wrote:
Smivs wrote:
luminous wrote:
...but my usual approach of full speed with injection into the slot did not work too well the last time I tried it...lmao
I'm not surprised :D
Try docking her with the docking slot vertical instead of horizontal. She is 'tall' whereas the Cobby is wide, and with a bit of practise you'll find it works well. Also, because your view position is quite high, it should look as though you are too near to the top of the slot compared to what you are used to.
Hope this helps, cheers,
Smivs.

Oooh, never thought about the viewing position being different. For some reason I always thought the view that we "saw" was actually from a camera mounted in the nose. Therefore, regardless of the size of vessel your viewpoint would never change. This could have something to do with it.
In all Oolite ships (at least in the original set; I can't speak for every OXP ship, of course) your forward view position is more or less where the blue 'window' is placed on the ship's texture. Some ships are built in a way that you even see part of the hull which obscures your view.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

To give you an idea, below is an annotated view of my Clipper with the relevant dimensions superimposed.
As you can see the distance below the view position (39m) is much greater than the distance above (21m), so if you appear a bit too high when docking, you're probably about right. :D

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Ahh... nice to see Bilbo the feline on the side of your ship, Boff.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

El Viejo wrote:
Ahh... nice to see Bilbo the feline on the side of your ship, Boff.
The graphic is Bilbo as a kitten (Ah!)...he's five now, so a bit bigger, but still cute when he's not trying to remind me how sharp his teeth and claws are :shock:

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

Smivs wrote:
To give you an idea, below is an annotated view of my Clipper with the relevant dimensions superimposed.
As you can see the distance below the view position (39m) is much greater than the distance above (21m), so if you appear a bit too high when docking, you're probably about right. :D

Now that is a good explanation. No doubt also the reason that I have destroyed a lot of the cargo cans I was trying to scoop :lol:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

From the 'yet more news from trunk' department, fast docking has been streamlined, so - provided the specific oxp station/carrier allows it - you should be able to fast dock with carriers in 1.75... :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Kaks wrote:
From the 'yet more news from trunk' department, fast docking has been streamlined, so - provided the specific oxp station/carrier allows it - you should be able to fast dock with carriers in 1.75... :P
Three Cheers! 8)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

awesome news :)
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Would that include Thargoid carriers?

It is always amusing to dock with one of those fix your ship then open fire upon it with the rear gun as soon as launched.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Fatleaf wrote:
Would that include Thargoid carriers?

It is always amusing to dock with one of those fix your ship then open fire upon it with the rear gun as soon as launched.
Thargoid Carriers will no longer be dockable in the next version of the OXP (if I ever finish it). Or to be precise: as it's not possible to make a carrier undockable, the OXP will do the next best thing, namely auto-launch you immediately after docking. 8)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

In 1.75 you won't be able to autodock /fast dock / get dock clearance if the station/carrier is hostile. You could still try and land manually anyway...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)