Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite commodies, services & equipment ICONS mod, v0.1

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Tokus*Maximus
Average
Average

Re: Oolite commodity ICONS mod, v0.1

Post by Tokus*Maximus »

Kaks wrote:
It's very much possible, though very much low tech from a programming point of view: all we need is to position the icons just right inside a custom market screen background image, then use that backround image!
To spice things up a bit, we could provide different iconified background images depending on which background set is installed... :)
I'll investigate this presenty - will have time in a fortnight to sort the screens - got two deadlines still pressing on me at this tme and I have no life!

-- Tok
...the Stars are matter - we are matter - but it doesn't matter! Don Van Vliet (Cap'n Beefheart)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite commodies, services & equipment ICONS mod, v0.1

Post by pagroove »

What is the current states on this? I still want those icons. :wink:
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Tokus*Maximus
Average
Average

Post by Tokus*Maximus »

I placed them in but the back screens are at such a low resolution, while the game runs in a much higher one.

When I reduced the icons down to that resolution current for backscreen it is SO low the icons become insubstantial blobs.

Do any of the polite OOolite Code Boffins know how to employ the backscreens at a high resolution, say x4 in res :?:

-- Tok
...the Stars are matter - we are matter - but it doesn't matter! Don Van Vliet (Cap'n Beefheart)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Tokus*Maximus wrote:
Do any of the polite OOolite Code Boffins know how to employ the backscreens at a high resolution, say x4 in res :?:
As it stands, you can’t.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Tokus*Maximus wrote:
I placed them in but the back screens are at such a low resolution, while the game runs in a much higher one.

When I reduced the icons down to that resolution current for backscreen it is SO low the icons become insubstantial blobs.

-- Tok

Do you have a screenshot for that??
So that we can take a look.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Tokus*Maximus
Average
Average

Post by Tokus*Maximus »

Ahruman wrote:
Tokus*Maximus wrote:
As it stands, you can’t.
Thank you.

I'll not waste my your time any further.

Of course it is possible! Only nothing is impossible!

I'll crack this nut yet - thank you for your tremendous help.

- Tokus*Maximus
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

To expand on Ahruman's somewhat laconic answer, low resolution backgrounds/overlays are already flagged as bugs to resolve for 1.75, we just haven't got a simple fix worked out yet...

TM, any chance you could post / PM the 4x image?

Having that image might just provide extra impetus to the current development efforts! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Is this from Ahruman in response to the above discussion: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=714
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Well, like the man said, it was already on my list. I’d just completely forgotten about it. :-)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
Well, like the man said, it was already on my list. I’d just completely forgotten about it. :-)
:) I just posted it here in case T*M missed it in the progress thread - speedy work Ahruman - even if it was on your list!
Selezen wrote:
Tokus*Maximus
Average
Average

Post by Tokus*Maximus »

Hey Ooliters; Ahruman, Kaks, DaddyHoggy an' PA. Groove,

That increase in resolution is very good news - I'll make some juicy back display icons when that higher res' kicks in to match the games super fine game resolution - a smooth sharpness we could only all dream of years ago when this was wire frame. Well done Ahruman - keep up the great work as always.

Thou' new to the most excellent Oolite I'm near 43 solar orbits of age and played this game excessively on the beeb Micro, Speccy, ST and Amiga. Worked in the games industry in the late 80's and 90's, now run my own wee studio. Made 'Elite' after many missions of lazering my way through a swath of space death. It is great fun to be busy cutting up pirates and fugitives again...

BTW - Manufacturing official Oolite cast metal or enamel badges is more than possible in these modern times... Am getting a small batch of real 'Elite' ones cast for close friends who never sent away at the time. Now such baubles of high rank are rarer that hen's teeth!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Tokus*Maximus wrote:
Hey Ooliters; Ahruman, Kaks, DaddyHoggy an' PA. Groove,

That increase in resolution is very good news - I'll make some juicy back display icons when that higher res' kicks in to match the games super fine game resolution - a smooth sharpness we could only all dream of years ago when this was wire frame. Well done Ahruman - keep up the great work as always.

Thou' new to the most excellent Oolite I'm near 43 solar orbits of age and played this game excessively on the beeb Micro, Speccy, ST and Amiga. Worked in the games industry in the late 80's and 90's, now run my own wee studio. Made 'Elite' after many missions of lazering my way through a swath of space death. It is great fun to be busy cutting up pirates and fugitives again...

BTW - Manufacturing official Oolite cast metal or enamel badges is more than possible in these modern times... Am getting a small batch of real 'Elite' ones cast for close friends who never sent away at the time. Now such baubles of high rank are rarer that hen's teeth!
You're of a similar demographic to a large portion of us (I'm soon to enter my 5th decade) - I played Elite to death over one summer on my C64 (never turned it off for the six week holidays) to reached the titular rank.

As for manufacturing - Giles the Creator has already thought of that: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/aegidian
Selezen wrote:
Tokus*Maximus
Average
Average

Post by Tokus*Maximus »

Kaks wrote:
To expand on Ahruman's somewhat laconic answer, low resolution backgrounds/overlays
are already flagged as bugs to resolve for 1.75, we just haven't got a simple fix worked out yet...

TM, any chance you could post / PM the 4x image?

Having that image might just provide extra impetus to the current development efforts! ;)
Sure Kaks,

Back screens are Svengali's fine work that I run in my game when I screen-grabbed.

These are not complete and have a lot of tweakage to be applied. Of course, with the resolution for back
drops leaving the 16-bit 90's era soon the graphics will be more like the wee ones at the end of the line
rather than my clumsy attempt to put them in BIG (see examples). I wasn't going to post this until more
work but you asked! Heh.

- Tokus

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Tokus*Maximus wrote:
It is great fun to be busy cutting up pirates and fugitives again...
Just be careful which ‘fugitives’ you try and cut-up… if you see one named Rolling Thunder, watch out!

I like the commodity designs, Tok... very nice.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
As for manufacturing - Giles the Creator has already thought of that: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/aegidian
Another possibility for manufacturing would be embroidered patches, maybe?

http://www.onlypatches.com/
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.