Caduceus

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Cheers! Until then I'll keep on with the older version, as despite the message in the log file, it appears to be working for me...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK I've found the problem, it's a small typo in line 129 (EQUIPMENT_AVAILABLE should be EQUIPMENT_OK).

I've uploaded a revised version to correct this, and also to make it self-repair on launch if damaged (currently it doesn't do so until later).

It's on my box.net as neoCaduceus 141210.zip.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

When you said later in the week, I was expecting it to be, well, a bit later than this! Muchly appreciated!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I had a free few minutes this morning before breakfast, and as the glitch was a very trivial one (AVAILABLE --> OK change) it took all of 10 seconds.

The kicking in of self-repair on launch isn't strictly necessary (as the DCN should begin self-repair immediately it's damaged), but as I was about it I added it in as a belt-and-braces safeguard.

Longest part was actually being able to log into box.net. Oh the joys of hotel wifi... :roll:
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

It wasn't that the DCN wouldn't self-repair upon launch that was the problem; it was that the DCN wouldn't repair anything upon launch, until something else was damaged. But I've been doing a bunch of flying about and getting damaged (most notably in Aqualina...) and can confirm that it now works perfectly!

Edit: should read more carefully!
Thargoid wrote:
I've uploaded a revised version to correct this, and also to make it self-repair on launch if damaged (currently it doesn't do so until later).
So you solved the problem and added a safeguard! That makes sense!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yup ;) The check for needing self-repair isn't strictly necessary, but it just makes sure.

Sounds like you've been out and playing with the Kraken IV perhaps?
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Yep! Managed to defeat it the first time, and in my exuberance flew straight into the side of a Salvage gang whilst re-fueling. Second time around I was a bit more prepared!

I have to say, from the oxp missions I've tried in G2 and G3, I've found them nicely located when compared to the inbuilt Oolite ones. You don't have to traipse from one end of the galaxy to the other to get there! Aqualina was very conveniently placed!
Azz
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Azz »

Just an FYI - the old Caduceus required a fix on the turrets to work with the refueling stations OXP. I deleted my versions long ago but remembered the fix and where it goes. Basically the external mounts stick out and when going through the refueling station, you get a hull breach and blow up.

Change the mount section in the shipdate.plist file, go to the section of either the alpha or omega version, and change the cmount 1 0 0 0 to a -1 0 0 0. Save it and shift+restart the game and the refueling station OXP will allow the Caddy to work again.

Here's what mine looks like:
<string>cenginea -4.5 -0.5 -60.5 1 0 0 0</string>

<string>cengineb 4.5 -0.5 -60.7 1 0 0 0</string>

<string>cmount 0.0 -2.6 26.0 -1 0 0 0</string>

<string>cmount 0.0 -2.6 13.0 -1 0 0 0</string>

<string>cmount 0.0 -2.6 0.0 -1 0 0 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret 8.0 -2.7 26.0 1 0 -1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret 8.0 -2.7 13.0 1 0 -1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret 8.0 -2.7 0.0 1 0 -1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret -8.0 -2.7 26.0 1 0 1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret -8.0 -2.7 13.0 1 0 1 0</string>
<string>caduceusturret -8.0 -2.7 0.0 1 0 1 0</string>
<string>zeroturret -0.198 -7.8 -32.0 1 -1 0 0</string>
<string>zeroturret 0.0 1.4 -14.8 1 1 0 0</string>
I believe the old Caddy had this same issue.

Cheers!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hello Azz, great first post! :)

Yep, exploding Caddies has been a long standing issue, and if this fix does the trick, you'll have a couple or three very grateful commanders singing your praises! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Azz
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Azz »

Thanks Kaks - hopefully it works out for everyone.

I just installed 1.74 on Ubuntu and tried my old notes I had for Oolite. I forgot how much I liked this game! I put the changes in the Caddy and I installed the Fuelstation 1.31 OXP. No problems with explosions - so just for giggles, I changed the Caddy back to it's original 1 0 0 0 setting and about 1/2 through the fuel satellite I popped.

So now I've spent the last hour downloading OXP's and getting back to where I left off, though I think I'll start from Galaxy 1 and go after the Constrictor again! Looks like there's been some updates since 1.65 that I'll have to check out!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Caduceus

Post by Screet »

Feels great to be back in the seat. However, after a few fights I noticed that my Caddy lost some of it's beauty. Almost half of my subentities were shot off. No problem with that - it's making things more realistic.

Sadly, it seemingly also requires to hurry for maintenance as the automatic repair system won't replace structures which have been shot off. Thus I wonder wether the Caddy should also heal such damage, maybe by using up alloys from the cargo hold or such. For a living ship, it doesn't feel right that I have to find a navy base to replace my turrets, engines and such ;)

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Restoring sub-entities is only possible from 1.75 onward...
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re:

Post by Zieman »

Kaks wrote:
Hello Azz, great first post! :)

Yep, exploding Caddies has been a long standing issue, and if this fix does the trick, you'll have a couple or three very grateful commanders singing your praises! :D
Unfortunately the fix doesn't seem to help.

I have a test pilot flying Caduceus Omega (neocaduceus.oxp, Sep 2009) with subentity-quaternions fixed (changed the 0 0 0 0 orientation entries to 1 0 0 0).

Been testing a few things using this pilot, the tests requiring getting around the Galaxy a lot. I don't know if it was a lucky streak or what, but I refuelled more than 20 times in a row (= no "press space" moments) at Fuel Stations (Fuel Station 1.30.oxp) without problems. I guess that I did not blow up because I flew into the Fuel Station from planet's side (= Fuel Station in front view & the planet in rear view) every single time.

Now I tried changing those cmount quaternions to -1 0 0 0 and using Fuel Stations. The result? As long as you fly in from the planet's side, no problems, but once you try the 'wrong' end - KABOOM!!!
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

On the subject of the Caddy.

I'm doing a complete reinstall of Oolite and trying to sort out (yet again) what OXP's I want. I normally have the Caddy installed, not because I fly it but I like it and it's nice running into it every now and then. However there seem to be different versions flying around. The one Clym Angus links to in his sig has no version number, the one linked to from the Wiki has been modified by Thargoid and has version number/date 141210. In addition I have found (can't remember where) one with version number 1.74 and several script updates to the self repair system with different version numbers.

What is the latest one?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

thargoids. I'm downloading his version and copying it over my own but I've been a tardy little ****. This weekend definitely or I shall farm myself up to the ridicule of the boards.

Val has already gotten the belt out and if I don't do it I'll be publicly humiliated over youtube. Just like this dude:
Caution strong language.
http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video ... JLQy55M05q