General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Otley
Average
Average

Post by Commander Otley »

Well it was a long time ago that I first played Elite on the Acorn Electron that game captured my imagination like nothing else. When my parents asked me about having my own computer there was no question I wanted an Electron just to play Elite. I tried the PC version some years ago and it did satisfy some of my cravings, but oolite well that is something else I would like to say well done and thank you to the creators of this excellent game! Elite is finally the game I imagined all those years ago. Can't wait to try the OXPs .
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome to the friendliest Board this side of Riedquat :D
You'll find most of us are old 'Elite-ers' so you are in good company, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. We tend to be a helpful lot, and are even happy to answer 'silly' questions so don't be shy.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Newbie

Post by Cody »

Commander Otley wrote:
Elite is finally the game I imagined all those years ago.
Yeah... it's been well worth the wait... welcome, Commander Otley.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander Otley
Average
Average

Thanks both I expect there will be some silly questions at a later date ! :lol:
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Welcome aboard, Commander! It's a whole new universe out there to explore! 8)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Commander Otley
Average
Average

Cheers Drew just read Status Quo and ive got to say a cracking read keep it up !
Captain Baz
Average
Average

Post by Captain Baz »

I tried several of the OXPs and the ones I have got to work are absolutely brilliant. There are still a few that I am failing with, including the voice OXPs for pilot and engineer.

You really have to check out some of the new ships, they are very cool!

>logout captain baz
Captain Baz connection severed from LAVE station successfully
>_
SuperDave156
Average
Average

Back after 25 years or so...

Post by SuperDave156 »

Hi guys.
I was enthusing over Christmas with my sons about the games we had in the early days on the BBC micro my favourites being "Mr E" and Elite and how much better the gameplay was in those days.
I couldn't find Mr E so after googling Elite I find it is still going as Oolite and of course I've spent all day on it.
The one thing that is still frustrating is the slow pace of the game. It's so dull having to wait for those blobs to vanish off the back of the radar to get into hyperspace only to see another pesky blob appear in front if you don't want to fight everything and just want to get to the station and buy & sell.
Has anyone come up with an enhancement to allow you to hyperspace more quickly to your destination?
Back to Elite after 25 years!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Back after 25 years or so...

Post by CheeseRedux »

SuperDave156 wrote:
Has anyone come up with an enhancement to allow you to hyperspace more quickly to your destination?
But of course: Upon arriving in a new system, instead of heading straight for the planet, angle away from it (somewhere around 70-90 degrees should do nicely) and use your jumpdrive for a few seconds. As virtually all the NPC ships use the direct route, that will get you clear of all those nasty traffic jams.

Oh, and welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquattm!
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome SuperDave,
Another thing (when you've got a bit of spare cash) is to buy some fuel injectors. They will certainly help you whizz around quickly (fuel permitting) and you can also out-run baddies, missiles etc.
SuperDave156
Average
Average

Post by SuperDave156 »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm getting around a bit quicker now.
I've just been find 500@ and sent for "Attitude adjustment"! I guess for a heavy landing...
Back to Elite after 25 years!
Cody

Post by Cody »

SuperDave156 wrote:
I've just been find 500@ and sent for "Attitude adjustment"! I guess for a heavy landing...
The fines can get heavier, as often happens to contrabandistas like me.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I not only avoid the straight route to the station, I even use witchfuel injectors except for final approach into the station. I've done whole round-trip runs there-and-back-again on my poor Agri to rich industrial "milk run" route in something like 4 minutes. This despite having Deep Space Pirates installed, as I don't go THAT far from the space lane.
At ~2k total profit for each such trip, I've managed to rake in ~30k profit an hour. This is with the Cobra 3's 35ton cargo bay (after getting the extension of course.) Once I traded up to a Python, I could do roughly 3x the profit in almost the same amount of time. When I got the Boa 2, the profit jump again to about 4x the profit of the Cobra 3. I was soon left with nothing equipment-wise I could buy on the open market, especially after getting a Boa 2 with a Naval Energy Unit. (They're for sale on rare occasion, but cost about 700k)
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

@Switeck:

I hope at 700K the Nav Energy unit is worth the dough!
Does it perform a great deal better for big ships?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I bought my Boa Clipper with a NEU, having had one in my Boa 2 and previously a Python.
They certainly do help, by improving recharge rates. An Extra Energy unit multiplies recharge by a factor of 1.8, but a Naval Energy Unit multiplies by a whopping 2.6.
You will be awarded one if you complete one of the in-built missions (Sorry no spoilers here :) ), but you can find ships fitted with them for sale sometimes...at a price.