[Solved] 1.74.2: Oolite disables sound on ubuntu

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Solved] 1.74.2: Oolite disables sound on ubuntu

Post by Corny »

I wanted to play Oolite on a computer with Ubuntu since it has a better GPU than I have.
However, as soon as I start Oolite, the sound is somehow disabled, system-wide. It's not set to mute in the settings or anything, it just stops working immediately. Also, it takes a while until the sound works again after I quit Oolite.
Nothing in the syslog or user.log (other places where I should check?), nothing unusual in the Oolite latest.log.

I remember playing Oolite on that computer - WITH sounds - but I think that was 1.74.1.

Edit: Problem solved. I reinstalled pulseaudio and Oolite, then followed the steps for the speech synthesis workaround. Now not only the speech synthesis works (even if I don't like it on Linux and promptly deactivated it), but all the sound works again.
Last edited by Corny on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Are you using pulseaudio? I am running v1.74.2 and use ALSA and have removed pulseaudio completely as it seems to cause a few problems, not just with Oolite.
This thread might be worth a read.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

I don't know. If it's standard (which I assume), then yes. I don't want to mess with it yet (or even remove it) since Oolite is the only application which is affected :?
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=115006 seems to be only connected to the speech feature.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=8150 doesn't seem to give me good ideas. Removing pulseaudio didn't help, or do I get it wrong?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, pulseaudio seems to come as standard in Ubuntu, and you do need to be careful removing it.
Might be best to wait for Getafix or one of our other Linux experts to come along...I use Ubuntu but don't claim to be an expert. I'm sure someone here can help you though.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: 1.74.2: Oolite disables sound on ubuntu

Post by Getafix »

Hi Corny,

I remember having this case with Ubuntu 8.04LTS following an upgrade, thus,
pointing to O/S audio re-configuration. Have I understood right that you have
removed PulseAudio? (If you haven't yet... then don't).
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Pulseaudio and 1.74.2 works fine for me, whether using Dolby Digital encoding or stereo output. Try disabling speech in the game to see if it's related to that.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Spoken messages were (and are) off, but I still get no sound.

I removed pulseaudio following the instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?s= ... tcount=183 .
It didn't solve the problem at all, though. When I start Oolite, the sound is deactivated system-wide with no option to revert it - except quitting Oolite and then restarting all applications I want to hear the sound from.
(Sorry Getafix, forgot about your advice earlier :( )