Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Does anyone fly a Constrictor?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Does anyone fly a Constrictor?

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Having noticed the illicit unlock oxp I decided to try and get the necessary money and then hang around a TL15 planet. It's taking a long time to get the money, I'm only just over half-way there. Has anyone else gone down this road? How did you do it? Main income is from ups gold/platinum/gems deliveries. Is it actually going to be possible to buy one? I just realised that I hadn't even seen one except in the native mission. Making do with a supercobra for the moment! Richard.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I hacked one to get it, and then found I needed to hack its stats to use in testing of other things because its main advantage was its speed. Another advantage is it's hard to hit.
The Constrictor as a player ship is *NOT* immune to all lasers except Military Lasers.

So I prefer my much slower Boa 2. It carries more missiles (5 vs 3), holds more cargo (175 vs 15), and has greater energy capacity and equal shields.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Does anyone fly a Constrictor?

Post by Smivs »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
I just realised that I hadn't even seen one except in the native mission.
That's right. The Constrictor was a Military prototype so you won't see any more in the normal game.
As Switek says it's key point is its speed...it really is very fast indeed, but an all-rounder it isn't. Fun though.
Had you considered the Bootleg version ?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

For myself the ultimate dogfighting machine has to be the Imp Courier.
It costs a bomb to run, but few ships can beat it for speed and maneuverability!
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

thanks

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Yes, it was basically an idea to fly it for fun for a while. I've been keeping the cargo rating up with gold and platinum runs so reckon I could keep that going with a constrictor while concentrating on the important business (shooting people). I haven't altered any files to get it more easily/cheaply, though, feels a bit like cheating. Mind you, "illicit unlock" has a certain ring of cheating about it. I'd also like to try a Liberator, being a Blake's Seven fan; that's in Random Hits, right? That would need a hack I suppose. Ta. Richard.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: thanks

Post by Commander McLane »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
I'd also like to try a Liberator, being a Blake's Seven fan; that's in Random Hits, right? That would need a hack I suppose.
Mainly it's in Liberator.oxp. I've tried it out once, and it is indeed kind of cool. However, it has the considerable problem of being bigger than the standard docking bay. Which means that starting with Oolite 1.75 you won't even able to launch from the station. Fixing this would need a major hack, the usual plist-hacks notwithstanding (for a start, you'd have to create the player version yourself, as it's originally an NPC-only ship).