I want a faster computer

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

I want a faster computer

Post by Eric Walch »

IBM demonstrated last week a microprocessor prototype that is 1000 times faster than the current generation. 10E24 flop/sec instead of the current "low" value of 10E21. (I better don't write it out with all those zeros. :lol: )

Data is transferred simultaneously at different wavelengths. So when you want to buy a new computer, better wait a bit until the new one is out. The first working version is planned for 2020. Probably a bit expensive though, but that would bring playing Oolite to a new level... :wink:
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Yeah! I've been following this work with considerable interest. Also the new development of ultra-miniature battery cells

The whole field of nanotechnology seems to be blossoming currently, it will interesting to see the time scales that emerge in turning the ideas into everyday usage.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Star Gazer wrote:
Yeah! I've been following this work with considerable interest. Also the new development of ultra-miniature battery cells

The whole field of nanotechnology seems to be blossoming currently, it will interesting to see the time scales that emerge in turning the ideas into everyday usage.
Yeh, the nano-battery thing is looking pretty good...

http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-smallest-b ... ted/17237/
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here