Keyboard problem after pausing the game

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

gizmo
Deadly
Deadly

Keyboard problem after pausing the game

Post by gizmo »

Hi,

after pausing the game multiple times (not sure about the exact number) the keyboard either gets accelerated or slowed down.
In both cases the game isn't playable anymore since rolling, firing, ... either is too fast (laser overheat in less than 2 seconds) or too slow.

Oolite version: 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release)

OXPs in use:
FighterHud.oxp
BountyScannerv2.0.oxp
IronHide 1.01.oxp
SaveAnywhere3.1.oxp
clearskies.oxp
Armoury 1.03.oxp
display_reputation.oxp
Galactic_Navy 5.2.2.oxp
Target Autolock Plus 1.10.oxp
behemoth 2.5.4.oxp
accessories.oxp
Smivs'Shipset_v2.0-SD.oxp
Target Reticle 1.2.1.oxp

I've looked at the log but only found errors related to the GalNavy OXP

Code: Select all

[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (GalNavy Build 0139): Mission.runMissionScreen() is deprecated, use Mission.runScreen() instead.
[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (GalNavy Build 0139): Mission.choice is deprecated and will be removed in a future version of Oolite.
[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]:       /home/or/.Oolite/AddOns/Galactic_Navy 5.2.2.oxp/Scripts/galnavymain.js, line 415.

Ideas?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sounds like you're changing the Time Acceleration Factor (TAF) by mistake. You can see the current TAF setting by setting the information display (press shift + F to turn it on/off). You should see the TAF line with a multiplier.

You can change the TAF when the game is paused by using the left and right cursor keys. Range is up to x16, and down to x1/16 (0.06).

I would guess you've been pressing the cursor keys when paused and changing the TAF without realising it?
Last edited by Thargoid on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You are pressing the left and right arrow keys (accidentally or not) during pause. This is the trigger for changing the game's Time Acceleration Factor (TAF). When it happens again, press Shift+F to bring up the FPS information and you will notice that the last line reports TAF which will be either higher or lower than x 1.00. To fix, just press pause again and press the left or right arrows, until x 1.00 is displayed. Left arrow slows the game down by a factor of 2, right arrow accelerates it by the same factor.

Edit: Argh, I am getting old - ninja'd all the time...
gizmo
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gizmo »

Thanks!

I'll try it the next time it happens (is that documented somewhere?)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You can try it even now. Just press Shift+F, then pause and change the TAF as indicated above. I am sure it is documented in the wiki, but I cannot reach it from the location I am right now, so someone else will have to point you to it.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

TAF is mentioned in the wiki, but not in specific detail that I can see from a quick look (and not with key details - hence my post edit above as I wanted to double-check if it was cursor up/down or left/right).

If I have more time tomorrow I'll have a better look, and if it is missing I'll add a page in about it.