Equipment Oxp's a few suggestions

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Equipment Oxp's a few suggestions

Post by Namttep »

how about?

Laser Cooling boosters, and Naval Laser cooling boosters to stop lasers overheating

I can't remember the name??? of it but frontier had a weapon mountable on bigger ships - essentially a one shot kill laser.

I wish I had the experience and ability to code these myself, but please someone take up the challange.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Equipment Oxp's a few suggestions

Post by Smivs »

Namttep wrote:
how about?
Laser Cooling boosters, and Naval Laser cooling boosters to stop lasers overheating.
Deja Vu.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 0feaf50338

and several others I can think of. Bottom line:- it can't and won't be done.
Sorry! :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

what about the one shot laser from Frontier?

I respect that the cooling issue has been talked over.

actually on the old 8 bit versions Minning lasers solved the issue of overheating, as they where every bit as powerfull as millitary, and didn't heat up as quick.

I wonder if thats still the case, I may try that as a solution.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Laser weapons aren't (currently) codable at all by OXP. All that can be done are pylon-mounts (missiles and mines, and variations thereof).

You could perhaps simulate a laser weapon that did added damage, but it'd be something of a bodge-job and not exactly the most consistent (and possibly a gameplay breaker).
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Namttep wrote:
what about the one shot laser from Frontier?
I really don't see what kind of game that would make. Taking down ships with one shot? Would that not be a bit too unbalancing? And no, giving it also to NPCs would not be a solution either. It would be raher frustrating seeing the Press Space screen after the first shot from an enemy ship.

Anyway, if you really want to see for yourself what a bad gaming experience it is, copy the below inside a file called script.js and save it in a folder named Config inside your AddOns folder:

Code: Select all

this.shipAttackedOther = function (target)
{
	if (target && !target.isPlayer && target.isShip)
	{
		target.explode();
	}
}
This is essentially a one-shot kill-all laser effect.
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

thinking about it more, yes I quite agree, I think that was one of Frontiers downfalls, the combat system was un-operable by most, and one amassed a bunch of credits, bought a boa, or a python just mounted the "big gun' and on shot killed everything in site.

back to the thinking board.......
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just to be a bit more helpful than my last post was, read up on tactics. There's loads of good advice here on the Forum.
Buying and getting used to using a rear laser is probably the best step to take...it doubles your fire-power and by the time one's overheated, the other will have cooled.
Also, use the laser wisely. Avoid long bursts and 'strafing' and concentrate on accuracy.
Seriously, you'll soon find you actually don't need laser coolers, and it makes the game much more rewarding as well.
:)
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

yep, found that

Already have a rear military laser

gets used once in a while...

every so often get jumped by more than I can handle

pretty much when on contract killing missions from the sleazy bars.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Sniping is the answer here. Normally they seem to find you and the bodyguards attack quite readily. This is where your rear laser comes in. Turn and 'Flee' but pick them off one by one with the rear laser. If it gets hot, just stop for a while, turn round and give them a taste of the front gun, then turn and move away again bringing the rear laser back into play.
You will be much more accurate than them, and before long you'll find only one or two left...much easier to deal with.
Happy Hunting!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I have always thought that the (as of now widely unused due to their crapulosity) twin plasma cannons could become a nice "beyond the military laser" piece-of-equipment - make them double or even triple as powerful as the ML, accessible only at TL 14+ and for 70000Cr - but leave the disadvantage of it firing not-instant-hit plasma and only having a firing range of 5 or 6 kms in.

Voila, a new, powerful and unique weapon that doesn't unbalance the game the way laser coolers or one-shot-superweapons would do.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Equipment Oxp's a few suggestions

Post by Commander McLane »

Namttep wrote:
Laser Cooling boosters, and Naval Laser cooling boosters to stop lasers overheating
Have you read the Oolite FAQ? Please consider especially the "Why does this and that not exist" section. It's a helpful read before posting suggestions.