How many of you are using Wings3D for modeling?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Re: How many of you are using Wings3D for modeling?

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

SiriusCG wrote:
I'm considering the commission of an Erlang plugin, or plugins, to allow import and export of Oolite .dat files to and from Wings3D without needing a separate Python based conversion.

To that end, I've started a dialog with a colleague who has written several successful plugins for Wings to see if he is interested in doing this project. He's "looking it over" ...

While he's doing that, I'd like to know how many of you folks are using Wings3D at the present time to create your models so I can gauge the interest for this in the community.

Cheers.
To bring this back on topic - I use Wings3D, and would LOVE a native ability to import/export to Oolite .DAT format.
Phoenix4
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phoenix4 »

I agree. I'm quite new to Wings3D (see my other recent post), and the option of exporting directly to Oolite would be great!

Px4
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Yes agreed very useful. Now all I need is to find a way of stopping that zogging program from duplicating vertex on an extrude, mirror or just randomly for a laugh and everything would be tickety boo.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

it would be a great boon to new Oolite writers, definitely...

This might be worth a read:

http://nendowingsmirai.yuku.com/topic/6 ... ith-C.html

As well as this little tip from the Wings FAQ:
How can I add my own Plug-in functionality to Wings3D?

You'll need to write an Erlang module. The name of the module should start with "wpc_". The compiled beam file should go into the plugins directory of the Wings installation. The directory structure doesn't matter, but you might want to follow the existing conventions to place import/export plug-ins in plugins/import_export, new commands in plugins/commands, and new primitive object types in plugins/primitives. If you want to write a plug-in in another language than Erlang, you'll still need to write an Erlang module that will interface to your code. A simple example how this can be done is found in plugins/win32_file. (Note: The name of plug-in module name starts with "wp8_" because it is a special sort of plug-in to extend the user interface for Wings. Your module name should still start "wpc_".)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Allrgedly it's a lot easier to write wings3d plugins directly in erlang, you 'only' need to learn a different programming language...

This article might also be of interest.
It's even got a mini python <=> erlang 'dictionary'! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)