Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

hello and help

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

tonycro
Above Average
Above Average

hello and help

Post by tonycro »

I think I've done something rather daft - having been recently re-introduced to the cobra by a friend of mine and happy racked up several hours building up my ship equipment I installed the new version (only really to fix the sticking text bug)

...................... but didn't think to back up my game save and now I can't find it !

Did the upgrade simply overwrite it ............. could it be reterived ?

help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps - great forum and what a great game :o)

tony.
Learn from the mistakes of others, life is too short to make them all your self !
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

hej, welcome around!

How did you "upgrade" ? What is your OS ?

Well, anyways, easiest way should be to use the search and look for any .oolite-save files.
(In WinXP : Start -> Search -> Files or Folders)

Good luck!
--------------

Myself I "install" new versions (in WinXP) into separate directories and just copy the GNUStepDefaults into the new "installation".
The new Oolite then knows my old (used last) savegame directory.
tonycro
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tonycro »

hi snork,

thanks for the reply;

Running vista, and upgraded in a very lazy way - just next clicking !

I hada look around the directory structure but my save aint there :o(

oh well, back to Lave :o)
Learn from the mistakes of others, life is too short to make them all your self !
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hello tonycro.

Where is Oolite installed on your machine?
tonycro
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tonycro »

hi Svengali,

Its installed in C:\oolite\

tony
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Have you tried searching your C: drive for files ending in oolite-save? The older versions used to be installed by default inside C:\Program Files\Oolite, while the new ones are installed in C:\Oolite. My guess is that you will probably find your saves inside C:\Program Files\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves.

In any case, all of the Oolite installer versions I can think of do not overwrite existing saved files, so I am reasonably confident that your savefile is still somewhere in your hard disk. Best thing would be to locate it manually and then copy it over to the new oolite-saves folder.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

another_commander wrote:
My guess is that you will probably find your saves inside C:\Program Files\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves.
Since we're talking vista here, there's the always 'entertaining' vista (and win7) program files hide & seek problem, as explained on this page:

http://www.clipboardextender.com/off-to ... e-and-seek

The condensed version, adapted to Oolite:

# If you save anything in the Program Files directory in vista/win7, you’re asking for trouble. Be sure to check the VirtualStore cache.
# The Virtual Store for older Oolite versions should be in: C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Oolite
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
tonycro
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tonycro »

another_commander wrote:
Have you tried searching your C: drive for files ending in oolite-save? The older versions used to be installed by default inside C:\Program Files\Oolite, while the new ones are installed in C:\Oolite. My guess is that you will probably find your saves inside C:\Program Files\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves.

In any case, all of the Oolite installer versions I can think of do not overwrite existing saved files, so I am reasonably confident that your savefile is still somewhere in your hard disk. Best thing would be to locate it manually and then copy it over to the new oolite-saves folder.
spot on :D

found the old installation in program flies (x86) - i had looked in the 'normal' prog files :oops:

anyway the old installation still finds my last save :D

onto find some pirates - thanks for all the help chaps :D

tony