Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Wings3D Help?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Phoenix4
Dangerous
Dangerous

Wings3D Help?

Post by Phoenix4 »

Hi guys,

I installed Wings3D a couple of days ago but I have a question re. one of the website tutorials that advises me to implement the 'Advanced Controls', but I can't find the option anywhere!

Here's the website, it's to do with pipes and joints in Wings:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wings_3D/T ... ipe_joints

The tutorial states -

'-Using Edge | Intersect to create a pipe joint of any angle......(Advanced Menus required - Edit > Prefs > Adv.)'

Followed by:

'-5.Select edges around lower (undistorted) part of cylinder (select one edge, press G) and apply Edge | Intersect > RMB option (Pick plane) – Select the newly angled face.'

Has anyone got this to work, specifically the 'Edge | Intersect bit - I can't find Edge anywhere?

I checked the preferences file in the Docs and Settings/Application folder and advanced menu's are set to True but the method above doesn't work. Has it changed with release 1.2?

RE the thread on probes/space objects I know I've only been using Wings3D for 2 days but this is a rough idea I had in mind. The underside has exhaust jets, and the other side has vents and a few other bits and pieces attached to the main body. This isn't based on any particular model, just something I came up with one evening. After all I'm new to Wings! ;) -

Cheers guys!

Px4
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Nice model!

Cross between Voyager and Hubble 8)

Sadly I can't help with Wings, but just wanted to say "hi, nice model'
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Wow - that's one hell of a model! I'm a Wings novice, and haven't got a hope of ever creating something like that.

With regards to your problem, though - I've managed to follow the tutorial and get the bent pipe.

I went to Edit, then to Preferences, then to Advanced, and made sure that the "Use highlight as temporary selection" box and then the "Extend selection via hotkeys on temporary highlight" boxes were ticked.
That way, you can use the letter indicated by bold as a shortcut.

"Edge | Intersect" means to make sure that you are in the Edge selection mode. "Intersect" can then be found in the right click menu.

"> RMB option (Pick plane) – Select the newly angled face." means that you should select intersect by right-clicking on it (Right Mouse Button). You can then select the face normally.

Hope this helps or makes some sort of sense!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep, the wings3d menu can be a weird and wonderful thing all by itself: in most cases clicking a menu option with your right mouse button does something different to clicking the same option with the left mouse button... :)

And as Rxke & MdF already said: great looking model there! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
in most cases clicking a menu option with your right mouse button does something different to clicking the same option with the left mouse button... :)
Unless when you have a mighty or magic mouse. In that case you have no button at all. :lol: At least no confusion between right or left. You can define a secondary button, both on the left or on the right side of the mouse surface. But as mac-user I am not use to two buttons.

About Wings3D: Yes sometimes options are hard to find. And the newest manual is far behind the current released version. I had enough frustration moments myself. :(
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

About pipes & wings3d, this page looks interesting:

http://www.wings3d.com.br/paulthepuzzle ... oints.html
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

I bet it'll be a left/right click issue, I remember I got nowhere when I used Wings with a one-button mouse on a G3 (mac) :evil:

I like the "flatcable" around the pole connecting the doohickey :)
SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SiriusCG »

The advanced controls are now implemented by default in Wings. The older "basic" menu is gone ...

You might find this forum: http://nendowingsmirai.yuku.com/ of great use. Almost as friendly as this one! And you don't have to go to Riedquat!

Cheers.
Phoenix4
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phoenix4 »

Thanks for the compliments and especially the links guys - very helpful! :D

After several new attempts I've got the pipes and bends to work correctly. You're right about the quirky controls & menus - depending on the option first selected the mouse buttons can do some bizarre functions. Something to get used to I guess. :wink:

I find Wings3D quite user friendly when compared to the likes of Maya and 3DS Max though. I've used them both but the learning curve is quite steep in comparison to Wings.

The next step is to understand texturing. I've exported a few basic shapes to Photoshop - with mixed results. :wink:

Cheers all!
Px4