Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved] help with GNUStep

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

biggusdoggus
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

[Solved] help with GNUStep

Post by biggusdoggus »

I've just started using Linux - got Mint 10 installed and running nicely. I've used Unix back in the day, but I'd consider myself pretty much a newbie in this environment.

I can run Oolite 1.65 as installed from the package manager, and it works just fine, but I'd like to see all the nice shiny stuff that OXPs bring, so I installed 1.74.2

I haven't yet installed an OXP, but even so 1.74.2 refuses to start. The splash screen runs, then the window for Oolite opens and remains open. The game displays for a split second and then the window goes blank and does nothing else until I close it.

starting Oolite from a terminal, I get the following output ....

2010-11-19 12:36:05.292 oolite[23563] File NSUserDefaults.m: 626. In [NSUserDefaults +standardUserDefaults] Improper installation: No language locale found
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)

From what I read this is caused by a clash between Oolite and GNUStep 1.19 (which is the default version from the Mint/Ubuntu repository. Therefore (I think) I need to either upgrade to GNUStep 1.21 or downgrade back to 1.18

1.21 is obviously not considered stable yet, and I notice it has to be compiled by the user - something which, right this minute, is outside my learning curve.

Is it possible to download a package version of 1.18 that I can just run and sit back and let it install all the required bits and bobs? If so, where do I go to get it? If not, what do I do instead?

all advise greatly received.

Big up to the people responsible for Oolite btw - I'm old enough to remember queuing for a copy of Elite when it was released on the BBC B, and playing it for 3 days straight without any sleep to get to Elite status before all my friends. No other game has ever caught my imagination in quite the same way, and oolite is by far the best rendition of the game I've ever seen - in some ways it actually improves on the original. Thanks.
Last edited by biggusdoggus on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi BiggusDoggus,

Take a look here. It might help. :)

The other thing to try is to delete the 'gnustep defaults' folder. This has worked for me in the past when the game drops out on start up, although it will cancel any joystick settings you have, Not a big deal.
Last edited by Smivs on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

If you use the autopackage - err.. - package Oolite will come complete with a local version of gnustep 1.18, which will only be used by Oolite itself, and not interfere with any other gnustep packages you might have.

It should be fairly straightforward to install the autopackage executable, instructions on how to do so are included inside the download file:

http://prdownload.berlios.de/oolite-lin ... st.x86.tgz
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
biggusdoggus
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by biggusdoggus »

Kaks wrote:
If you use the autopackage - err.. - package Oolite will come complete with a local version of gnustep 1.18, which will only be used by Oolite itself, and not interfere with any other gnustep packages you might have.
Well that's how I installed 1.74.2, so assuming it did install the relevant GNUStep bits, this just means I have a whole different problem.

back to square 1. :(
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm...
Or maybe something went wrong inside the package...

I haven't got either Lucid or Maverick handy to double check what could be wrong, but hopefully either Getafix or Micha (our resident linux wizards) should be around soon...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Did you try deleting 'gnustep defaults? It's located at Home/Gnustep/Defaults. Worth a try as it's worked for me in the past.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

biggusdoggus wrote:
2010-11-19 12:36:05.292 oolite[23563] File NSUserDefaults.m: 626. In [NSUserDefaults +standardUserDefaults] Improper installation: No language locale found
I used to get these messages too, and Oolite ran (or at least appeared to) fine for me...

Oddly, I've now tried running from the terminal and they don't pop up.

My GNUStep version is 1.20.1, which seemed to install when I reinstalled Oolite from the repositories after I'd been having some problems. It seems to work fine.
biggusdoggus wrote:
I haven't yet installed an OXP, but even so 1.74.2 refuses to start. The splash screen runs, then the window for Oolite opens and remains open. The game displays for a split second and then the window goes blank and does nothing else until I close it.
Have you tried maximising and/or resizing the window? You may be experiencing a problem mentioned here...

Otherwise, I'm sure other people who know far more than I will be along to help!
biggusdoggus
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by biggusdoggus »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Have you tried maximising and/or resizing the window?
casually hits F12 - KAPOW - I'm up and running again.

many thanks.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

No problem!

You'll find that you can play it in windowed mode as well as full screen - It only has issues on startup.
AndyG905
Poor
Poor

Post by AndyG905 »

Kaks wrote:
Hmm...
Or maybe something went wrong inside the package...

I haven't got either Lucid or Maverick handy to double check what could be wrong, but hopefully either Getafix or Micha (our resident linux wizards) should be around soon...
Maybe. Here's a few things I found while trying to get oolite running today - maybe it will mean something to someone. Meanwhile I'll keep digging - any clues gratefully received.

I'm revisiting Oolite after a long break, but I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04 some time during that break and it doesn't run now. The symptoms looked like those associated with the 10.04/GNUStep 1.19.3 problems reported by others. I removed the existing version of oolite, installed the oolite-1.74.2-test.x86.package, and disabled all installed OXPs by renaming their folders.

Running oolite from command line (with or without nosplash) gave:

File NSUserDefaults.m: 626. In [NSUserDefaults +standardUserDefaults] Improper installation: No language locale found
X Error of failed request: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)
Major opcode of failed request: 65 (X_PolyLine)
Serial number of failed request: 13
Current serial number in output stream: 14

Latest.log shows
<< start log >>
[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Linux at 2010-11-26 21:17:21 +0000.
4 processors detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 1920 x 1200

Closing log at 2010-11-26 21:17:21 +0000.
<< end log >>

ldd says GNUSTEP base 1.18, and some other libraries, not found (I got the impression the package install included 1.18 as a standalone):

ldd /usr/lib/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite
linux-gate.so.1 => (0x006b8000)
libGLU.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 (0x003a9000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1 (0x008ad000)
libpng14.so.14 => not found
libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0 => not found
libSDL-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 (0x00ad9000)
libgnustep-base.so.1.18 => not found
libespeak.so.1 => /usr/lib/libespeak.so.1 (0x00dec000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0x00110000)
libobjc.so.2 => /usr/lib/libobjc.so.2 (0x00129000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0x0016c000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00cc9000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0x00192000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x0041a000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x00846000)
libatiuki.so.1 => /usr/lib/fglrx/libatiuki.so.1 (0x00f21000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0x005cd000)
libpulse-simple.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpulse-simple.so.0 (0x00143000)
libpulse.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0 (0x00d07000)
libdirectfb-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libdirectfb-1.2.so.0 (0x002ec000)
libfusion-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libfusion-1.2.so.0 (0x00148000)
libdirect-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libdirect-1.2.so.0 (0x00eb3000)
libportaudio.so.2 => /usr/lib/libportaudio.so.2 (0x00363000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00714000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x00971000)
libpulsecommon-0.9.21.so => /usr/lib/libpulsecommon-0.9.21.so (0x00515000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/librt.so.1 (0x00b7c000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x00152000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x00d83000)
libXtst.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXtst.so.6 (0x0038c000)
libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 (0x005d1000)
libjack.so.0 => /usr/lib/libjack.so.0 (0x00d55000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0x00560000)
libwrap.so.0 => /lib/libwrap.so.0 (0x00392000)
libsndfile.so.1 => /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1 (0x00731000)
libdbus-1.so.3 => /lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x0057a000)
libuuid.so.1 => /lib/libuuid.so.1 (0x0039b000)
libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXi.so.6 (0x005b3000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0x003a0000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00f31000)
libnsl.so.1 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnsl.so.1 (0x00699000)
libFLAC.so.8 => /usr/lib/libFLAC.so.8 (0x006b9000)
libvorbisenc.so.2 => /usr/lib/libvorbisenc.so.2 (0x00b85000)
libvorbis.so.0 => /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0 (0x00799000)
libogg.so.0 => /usr/lib/libogg.so.0 (0x00fd8000)

After a bit of digging I found the missing libraries in /usr/lib/Oolite/oolite-deps/lib/ and noted that two libraries in that directory were not executable: libsffi.so.4 and libobjc.so.2, each with permissions set to -rw-r--r-- whilst the others were -rwxr-xr-x

Setting up symlinks in /usr/lib/ and making the making the libraries executable didn't change the error message from running oolite much (see below), though the set of reported libraries changed, and after creating symlinks for the above three not found libffi.so.4 became a problem. Creating a symlink for that gave matches for everything in the ldd but didn't change the results when running oolite.

$ oolite
2010-11-26 21:55:16.836 oolite[20041] File NSUserDefaults.m: 626. In [NSUserDefaults +standardUserDefaults] Improper installation: No language locale found
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 135 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 15
Current serial number in output stream: 15

Erk. It looks like Oolite died with an error. When making an error
report, please copy + paste the log above into the report.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Long lurk, first post. Welcome to the boards, AndyG905! :D

Unfortunately I know zilch about Linux, but I'm sure the resident wizards will be glad to help you.
AndyG905
Poor
Poor

Post by AndyG905 »

Commander McLane wrote:
Long lurk, first post. Welcome to the boards, AndyG905! :D

Unfortunately I know zilch about Linux, but I'm sure the resident wizards will be glad to help you.
Cheers!

I'm from the ZX Spectrum era, and very impressed by Oolite. I'm not quite up to coding, but I figure I can contribute a bit with diagnostics - if only by posting what I see. Happy to tinker & test.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Don't know much about how the autopackage version is set up these days, but the X-errors lead me to speculate that perhaps something went wrong with your video card drivers during the update?

Can you check that you have the latest drivers installed, and, if it's an NVidia or ATI card, that you have the proprietary drivers installed?

Incidentally, you shouldn't have had to make the symlinks to your lib directory - Oolite will look in the deps directory for the libraries, which ldd won't by default (You can use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable for that if you really want to).
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
AndyG905
Poor
Poor

Post by AndyG905 »

Micha wrote:
Don't know much about how the autopackage version is set up these days, but the X-errors lead me to speculate that perhaps something went wrong with your video card drivers during the update?

Can you check that you have the latest drivers installed, and, if it's an NVidia or ATI card, that you have the proprietary drivers installed?

Incidentally, you shouldn't have had to make the symlinks to your lib directory - Oolite will look in the deps directory for the libraries, which ldd won't by default (You can use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable for that if you really want to).
Spot on, Micha - it now looks to be sorted.

The card is an ATI Radeon HD, which was running with proprietary drivers, though not the latest versions. I had seen the comments from Getafix in the Oolite test release 1.74.2 thread (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet) regarding the video driver bug exposed by recent Linux security patches, and installed the ATI patch. That resulted in some very jerky scrolling in Firefox and Opera. Not good. I deactivated the proprietary drivers at that point, which sorted out the scrolling problem but (I assumed) wouldn't help with oolite. At that point the Ashes cricket test intervened :(

The next step was to get the latest ATI proprietary Linux drivers from their website, and install them afresh. The driver file was ati-driver-installer-10-11-x86.x86_64.run, release date 17-Nov-2010. Hey presto! Running, with the same error message Biggusdoggus reported - see below - and what looks like a normally running oolite.

$ oolite
2010-11-27 12:47:17.180 oolite[2221] File NSUserDefaults.m: 626. In [NSUserDefaults +standardUserDefaults] Improper installation: No language locale found

Just to dot the T's and cross the I's:

I went back through the symlinks I created, removed them and confirmed that oolite still runs as above, so they were indeed redundant - but ldd shows libraries not found again, which looks odd to me.

I couldn't remember whether I tried running oolite last night without any proprietary drivers installed, and so went back to check. Removing the proprietary drivers, rebooting, and running oolite gave the same results as above - bt_audio_service_open errors reported, but it runs and looks OK.

Conclusion: it looks as though the problem was with the ATI proprietary drivers, but simply running the ATI video patch didn't fix it. Deactivating them, which appears to remove them and the ATI catalyst control centre entirely, and then reinstalling the drivers from scratch did the trick.

Obviously I now need to run some extended tests, with a full suite of OXPs and the graphics load as high as possible, just to make absolutely sure everything's OK. That could take a long time :)

Many thanks for the help,

Andy
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The jerky scrolling, and occasional wild cursor movements, have been seen before with some ATI drivers… I’ve seen it myself.
Andy, if you find there’s a slight jerkiness in Oolite, try disabling the Catalyst AI in the CCC… it works for me.

Most of last night, I was uninstalling and installing ATI drivers etc, whilst listening to the Ashes on the radio.

Oh and welcome.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!