Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Crash when entering hyperspace

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Hi guys, I've started seeing this behaviour only in the last week or two...and odds are it's a Linux issue than an Oolite issue...

I'm running 1.74.2 on Debian with Gnome 2.22.3.

When I'm playing in full screen mode (is there any other way) and jump to witchspace (i.e. 'h' key), the countdown completes, I think i see the witchspace rings but then Oolite terminates and returns me to my desktop. This sin't consistent - the crash doesn't happen every time (I'll start keeping some records on this..)

The kicker is that once I'm back on my desktop, I have no mouse control. So far I've only found that a restart restores my system functionality.

Anyone come across this?
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Are you by any chance particularly low on disk space? At least on the Mac Oolite requests a lot of memory when entering a new system and the OS increases its swap space. Then again, the last time I used Linux you had to use a fixed-size swap partition so the disk space problem might not apply here...
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

If you do get a crash-to-desktop from fullscreen, it's possible that X ends up in an inconsistent state, hence no mouse. Not much we can do about that I don't think.

What we can do though is track down why it's crashing in the first place. Can you please post your Latest.log?
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Will do, as soon as I get another crash.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Damn 6 foot rule (for those not in IT, the 6 foot rule is: as soon as someone gets within 6 feet of your computer that is exhibiting problems, the problem will go away).

Finally got my instance of Oolite on Debian Linux to crash while entering witchspace.

Not sure if I contributed to this, though. I had just left the coriolis station and was about to jump to the next system when I saw some white dots on the scanner, in the direction of the planet's surface.

Being the scavenger that I am, I felt a brief dive into the atmosphere wouldn't hurt to gain a couple of extra credits.

Those canisters were deep in the atmosphere - ship status was red and I probably only had 2 or 3 notches left on the altimiter. Happily, I grabbed the containers and proceeded to fly back from the blue skies into the black.

As the sky began darkening, I hit the H key to jump to the next system, and that's when Oolite crashed and I was dumped back into the Debian desktop without mouse control.

I suspect I'm running Oolite on the lower end of machine specifications so it's likely that my problems are self induced.

I'd appreciate if my suspicions could be confirmed though.

Here's the contents of my log file...

Code: Select all

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Linux at 2010-11-27 02:36:10 +0000.
1 processor detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 1024 x 768
[dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted Mode - Resources paths:
    /usr/lib/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources
    AddOns
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_A414_upd.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.10.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_C414_upd.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Target Reticle 1.2.1.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/PlanetFall Mission - Oo-Haul 1.00.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Docking Clearance.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_D414_upd.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_F414_upd.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/TAF_reset.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_C.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Vector1.4.3.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_E.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Rock_Hermit_Locator1.3.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Welcome Mat 1.10.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_F.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_A.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_D.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/BlOomberg Markets v2.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Snoopers2.0.7.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Ore_processor.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/ionics-1.2.5.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_B414_upd.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_E414_upd.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_B.oxp
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.3.0 ("1.3 Mesa 7.0.4")
Vendor: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
Renderer: Mesa DRI Radeon 20061018 AGP 4x x86/MMX/SSE NO-TCL
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (65):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_SGI_color_table, GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_convolution, GL_EXT_texture, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_OES_read_format, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_imaging, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_SGI_color_matrix, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_histogram, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
[shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
  [shipData.merge.failed]: ***** ERROR: one or more shipdata.plist entries have like_ship references that cannot be resolved: planetFall_mainSurface_OoHaulDist
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 20 world scripts:
    ionics_v_rlf
    oolite-cloaking-device 1.74.2
    oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-thargoid-plans 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    OreProcessorGems 1.51
    Pi-Forty-Two Con stores 4.1.4
    PlanetFall_Oohaul 1.10
    reticle_target_sensitive 1.2.1
    rockHermit_Locator 1.3.3
    SE-main-script 2.2
    snoopers 2.0.7
    TAF_reset.anon-script
    targetAutolock 1.10
    vector 1.4.3
    vector_insp 1.4.3
    vector_missionArn 1.4.3
    vector_news 1.4.3
    Welcome Information Script 1.1
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 20 world scripts:
    ionics_v_rlf
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    OreProcessorGems 1.51
    Pi-Forty-Two Con stores 4.1.4
    PlanetFall_Oohaul 1.10
    reticle_target_sensitive 1.2.1
    rockHermit_Locator 1.3.3
    SE-main-script 2.2
    snoopers 2.0.7
    TAF_reset.anon-script
    targetAutolock 1.10
    vector 1.4.3
    vector_insp 1.4.3
    vector_missionArn 1.4.3
    vector_news 1.4.3
    Welcome Information Script 1.1
[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (yah_station_facing ): Entity.setOrientation() is deprecated, use entity.orientation = foo instead.
[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (ahruman-billboard-setup): Entity.setOrientation() is deprecated, use entity.orientation = foo instead.
[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (ahruman-billboard-setup): Entity.setOrientation() is deprecated, use entity.orientation = foo instead.
[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (yah_station_facing ): Entity.setOrientation() is deprecated, use entity.orientation = foo instead.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Ok, unfortunately that log file doesn't point to any problems.

Another thing you can try is to start Oolite from a Terminal, rather than through the icon.
That way, hopefully, when/if it crashes it may print out some additional information on the TTY.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Hi Bugbear1973,
could you try to get a crash with no OXPs?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Got a crash without OXPs, but I launched via the shortcut...I'll try again with the command line to see if there is any further info to collect.

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Linux at 2010-11-29 13:08:09 +0000.
1 processor detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
    AddOns
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_SGI_color_table, GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_convolution, GL_EXT_texture, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_OES_read_format, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_imaging, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_SGI_color_matrix, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_histogram, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
[shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts:
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
[/code]
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

OK, got another crash this evening, and I've also captured the contents of the command line terminal from where I launched Oolite.

(It had to be a screenshot because after the crash I lose mouse control...)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_q ... directlink

Here's the contents of Latest.log

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Linux at 2010-12-01 11:22:19 +0000.
1 processor detected.

AddOns
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Bugbear, could you execute

$ lspci
and post the results?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Here you go...

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82830 830 Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82830 830 Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 42)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801CAM IDE U100 Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M6 LY
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)
02:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
02:01.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

@Bugbear
Thank you for your reply.
Could you also post the

Section "Device"
Option "option name" "value"
EndSection
of the configured video/graphix device in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

When in doubt, give more info than less...

I've gotta say, many many thanks for your time and expertise. In RL, I'm a systems admin for a large company that runs mostly Windows. I'm usually on the other size of support calls like this so I appreciate your patience...

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
EndSection
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Bugbear wrote:
...many many thanks...
My pleasure! In fact the pleasure will be greater if we manage to work it out. :)

1. Backup your xorg.conf

$ sudo cp -p /etc/X11/xorg.xonf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.beforeoolite
2. Apply the following change in xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
   Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
   Option "FBTexPercent" "65"   # add this line as shown here
EndSection
3. Perform a full restart, even if just X-server restart is enough, just because
I want you to go into the BIOS and check what is the value of AGP Aperture Size.
Don't change anything! Just keep a note of the current value. We might use it xorg.conf later if necessary.

4. Start oolite from a terminal. Preferably run it in windowed mode (press F12),
in order to keep an eye to the terminal for error messages.
Check if the "unable to allocate texture" messages have been eliminated (or at least reduced!) and/or crashes are gone.
If not, increase the FBTexPercent value in the xorg.conf by increments of 5 (don't go for more than 80) and rerun oolite.
For the xorg.xonf changes to take effect, you just need to restart X-server. If Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't work then read here.

Assumption: I assume you run a native Linux installation and not a virtual one (i.e. VMware, VBox etc.), right?

Note: I also don't like the "ALSA ... underrun occured" message but we will look into it later.

Following a crash,
a. post the terminal output, if any change occured and
b. e-mail me the /var/log/Xorg.0.log (it's a bit big for posting here)
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Another star system, another crash...

Launched Oolite from the command line, running it from a window, got maybe 3 or 4 jumps before a crash...

Here's the terminal output:

2010-12-05 03:50:24.385 oolite[3143] Unknown time zone name `WST'.
2010-12-05 03:50:24.386 oolite[3143] Using time zone with absolute offset 0.
2010-12-05 03:50:24.369 oolite[3143] File NSUserDefaults.m: 626. In [NSUserDefaults +standardUserDefaults] Improper installation: No language locale found
ALSA lib pcm.c:7050:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occured
ALSA lib pcm.c:7050:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occured
oolite: tnl/t_draw.c:203: bind_inputs: Assertion `inputs[i]->BufferObj->Pointer' failed.
/usr/lib/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite-wrapper: line 60:  3143 Aborted                 ./oolite.app/oolite $@

Erk. It looks like Oolite died with an error. When making an error
report, please copy + paste the log above into the report.

(Press Ctrl-C to continue)
^C
An interesting thing when it crashed from windowed mode, I didin't lose mouse control...

Getafix, I'll email you the Xorg.o.log...