No Download for Realistic Shipyards V3.02b

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

jwh1977
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No Download for Realistic Shipyards V3.02b

Post by jwh1977 »

Any chance anyone can host this OXP - as I can't download it at the moment. Thanks - what a great game Oolite is! Really got me back into the elite thing :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: No Download for Realistic Shipyards V3.02b

Post by Smivs »

jwh1977 wrote:
Any chance anyone can host this OXP - as I can't download it at the moment. Thanks - what a great game Oolite is! Really got me back into the elite thing :)
Hi jwh1977,
You might find this recent thread worth a read.
Hope this is of help, and before I forget, Welcome to the friendliest Board this side of Riedquat.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
jwh1977
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by jwh1977 »

Brilliant thanks a lot Smivs - I will take a read
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

:oops: Sorry, re-reading it my post does suggest good news, which it probably isn't. Apologies.
Gibbon
Competent
Competent

Post by Gibbon »

So we can assume from this there is nowhere to download Realistic Shipyards?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Ask Lestradae, it's his OXP...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Gibbon wrote:
So we can assume from this there is nowhere to download Realistic Shipyards?
Correct.
Realistic Shipyards is no longer considered part of the Oolite project.
It was an attempt to bring all the OXP ships together under one roof, and to 're-balance' the pricing and availability of the standard ships. In its day this might have been considered a good idea by some, but having said that it's very unlikely anyone would have wanted all the OXP ships in any case.
As time went by the concept seemed less workable as some of the older OXPs became obsolete and more and more new OXPs were introduced. Everytime a new OXP was released, or up-dated, RS would have needed to be changed as well. As well as a lot of work for the authors (that's both the RS authors and the individual OXP authors, assuming the OXP authors wanted their work included) this would have effectively meant the equivalent of a re-install of the whole game was needed every time an update or addition came along, and this could be very frequently. Just look down the Expansion Pack thread and you'll see new OXPs appear with a surprising regularity.
In a nutshell, although maybe a seemingly-good idea at the time, it was always doomed due to the ever increasing workload needed to keep it up to date. It might be that some work is still being done towards it, but not as a part of the mainstream Oolite project. As Thargoid suggested, you can contact the Authors if you are really interested.
Much better to seek out and install the OXPs you really want, and just check from time to time to see if new versions are available.

And before I forget, Hi and welcome to the friendliest Board this side of Riedquat.
Last edited by Smivs on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gibbon
Competent
Competent

Post by Gibbon »

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I guess i'll stop looking for that oxp then ;)