Wimps R Us; Spoiler Needed

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Wimps R Us; Spoiler Needed

Post by JeffBTX »

I'll try to be obtuse so as not to inadvertantly post a spoiler of my own...

I am back to playing Oolite, 1.74.2, after a few months; the last version I played was 1.73.(something).

From what I remember from 1.73.x, a certain standard mission involving little hungry furballs (NOT cats!) gave me a suprising bit of trouble. I DO know how to get rid of them (that is, the general method), but from what I REMEMBER, it was suprisingly hard to do. ALSO I searched for posts in these forums on this; apparantly it is / was ALSO suprisingly difficult for others, apparantly.

(1) If someone could PM me with tried-and-true reliable methodology, with and without a heatshield, or whatever you recommend, I would appreciate it.

AND... how are you supposed to KNOW when you have succeeded? Trial-and-error?

(2) I've examined scripts... can't really tell for sure... if you just keep "refusing", (1.74.2), I assume the "offer" eventually stops occuring? WILL THIS somehow block the other standard missions from occuring, or interfere with the other standard missions... in case I just want to "Wimp_Out" on the "furball" offer?

- Thanks.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

For what it's worth, I refused and nearly 1 year, five galaxies, five ships and over 3300 kills later I've never had the offer repeated.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I think there was (or is?) a bug in the script which prevents the re-offer from ever happening.

As to the question: heat shields are highly advised. And you see your success if the suckers literally fall from your screen. And then you only have seconds to get out before you fall from the screen yourself (I regularly fail to survive myself after clearing the infestation).
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander McLane wrote:
I think there was (or is?) a bug in the script which prevents the re-offer from ever happening.
This is true for v1.74.2, unfortunately. It was discovered literally a couple of days after the release. It is now fixed in trunk.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Thanks, all...

... I take it then, that if you just refuse the offer (I guess just once in 1.74.2), that it does NOT interfere with the remaining four native missions?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

JeffBTX wrote:
Thanks, all...

... I take it then, that if you just refuse the offer (I guess just once in 1.74.2), that it does NOT interfere with the remaining four native missions?
That's right: refusing the offer doesn't interfere with any of the inbuilt missions.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

JeffBTX wrote:
That is correct, all other missions function fine (at least, we have not seen any problems reported so far).

Edit: Ack! Ninjified!
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Thanks, that is actually a big relief.

Question answered. Decisions made.

Furballs, go bother somebody else.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Wimps R Us; Spoiler Needed

Post by Eric Walch »

JeffBTX wrote:
From what I remember from 1.73.x, a certain standard mission involving little hungry furballs (NOT cats!) gave me a suprising bit of trouble. I DO know how to get rid of them (that is, the general method), but from what I REMEMBER, it was suprisingly hard to do. ALSO I searched for posts in these forums on this; apparantly it is / was ALSO suprisingly difficult for others, apparantly.

(1) If someone could PM me with tried-and-true reliable methodology, with and without a heatshield, or whatever you recommend, I would appreciate it.
You could: Ybj gb zrqvhz grzcrengherf qba'g xvyy gur gehzoyrf. Lbh zhfg ebnfg gurz ng uvtu grzcrengher sbe n cebybatrq gvzr. Fb ng n qvfgnapr jrer gur urng ohvyq-hc vf fybj.

(decrypt with rot13.com)
Commander Otley
Average
Average

Frying furballs

Post by Commander Otley »

I had a lot of trouble getting rid of the furry critters but I purchased fuel injectors and a heat shield flew towered the sun, you must watch the cabin temp and before they show signs of frying turn and go like he'll out of there they then wilted and disappeared !! It's all about the timing expect some space bar time before you get it right
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

By the way: This information is considered something of a spoiler here, which is why for instance in the post immediately above yours a simple encryption was used. You are encouraged to do the same, by clicking on the link to rot13.com, encrypting your message first, and then posting the resulting scramble instead of plain English. :)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Although to be fair, if you read the title of the thread and are then surprised to find spoilers in here... :wink: