Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Confused Stations...

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Confused Stations...

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Mis-jumps make things rather interesting!

I mis-jumped into witchspace, and was met by a rather unusual sight (and a bunch of Thargoids, but they were soon dealt with)!

I was able to dock at the Sothis station, where I found that there was no trade available (not a surprise, really, 'tis a bit out of the way!), refuelled, and launched.

I launched into the system I originally had targeted. Behind me was the Sothis Station. 'Twas at the witchpoint, which is not were it is mormally located, and it had lost the Wasp Nest. And for some reason, there was no Seedy Space Bar in the system, even though Laatre is an Anarchy...

Both of these oxps use a pseudorandom spawning function called by this.shipWillExitWitchspace, but it seems that with mis-jumps they are still spawned, and as the coordinate system does odd things (I've read it somewhere on either the forum or the wiki, but can't recall offhand), they are generated almost at the same point.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

This is an old Oolite 'feature': whenever you dock onto anything in witchspace, when you undock you'll find yourself in the nearest system, bypassing the usual willenterwitchspace/willexitwitchspace events.

Still, it should send the shipwilllaunchfromstation/shiplaunchedfromstation events anyway, which should add seedy bars to anarchies if they're not there already. Maybe those events aren't being sent.

We've tweaked witchspace in trunk, and from 1.75 it will be possible to create stations/carriers that will let you undock into interstellar space, so maybe interstellar stations will become less of an accident in the future...

As for the poor lost Sothis, hopefully in the future it'll check for interstellar space! Do you know which oxp the sotis is from?
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

The Sothis is from Sothis.oxp, and the Wasp nest is from wasps.oxp, both by Killer Wolf and can be found on his downloads page.

How were the two stations able to coexist stuck together? Is that just because they have such high energy recharge rates? Or does the collision detection work in mysterious ways!?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
How were the two stations able to coexist stuck together? Is that just because they have such high energy recharge rates? Or does the collision detection work in mysterious ways!?
I think that the collision system only looks for transitions from "notTouching -> touching". When both are spawned on top of each other they just will exist that way.
Kaks wrote:
Still, it should send the shipwilllaunchfromstation/shiplaunchedfromstation events anyway, which should add seedy bars to anarchies if they're not there already.
In principle there is only need to spawn things on the first launch after loading a game. (Or on the "reset" handler as buoyRepair.oxp does) In all other cases the player enters from witchspace. I don't think seedy bars (and a lot of other oxp) are adding stuff on every launch. Only on the first launch. Not sending witchSpace events in this rare situation looks like an Oolite bug to me.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

This reminded me of these 'intimate' cargo pods I found once.

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

goddamn, that's awesome 8-|

i wonder if the Wasps were trying to take over a Sothis, maybe they wanted a shiny new home!
tonyhippy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tonyhippy »

I got rid of the Wasps oxp because while it was in my add-ons folder I couldn't find ant Feudal Hunting Lodges - the wasp nests seemed to be replacing them. Shame really, I liked those little guys - more like bees than wasps actually, no trouble unless you trouble them.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

that's odd, i can't imagine anything in my population script that should conflict w/ another OXP :-/
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Hmm, I have just lost a hunting lodge, but when I jumped out to a nearby system and back in again it was there where it should be. I didn't noticed if there was a wasp nest or not, but it's possible that this might have happened to me as well.

Though as KW says, I'm not sure why this should be... I'll do some test flying and see if it happens again!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i don't have the hunting lodge type things, but for the life of me i can't imagine two things conflicting. firstly, the population script mentions the model as a Nest etc so i can't imagine that name conflicting, and secondly it's supposed to put it at a position somewhere near the sun, so the chances of the hunting lodge script running the same psuedorandom stuff AND placing it at the same place the Nest should be....seems somewhat remote to me!!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, in interstellar space all various 'pwm', 'spu' & whatnots are treated as if they were 'abs', so all entities placed near the sun, near the witchpoint & near the main planet will tend to converge near the witchpoint...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

And I think none of those are supposed to appear in interstellar space at all, so there's a bug in the OXPs in the first place.

One of the most common OXP bugs, methinks.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I consolidated almost all the add-on stations OXPs (that I run) spawn scripts into 1 single script so it could more easily check for the existence of other stations. My goal was to only add 1 additional "general"-type station around the planet. Each system would seem a tiny bit more unique instead of getting random station/s added on each visit. "I'm sorry, but SuperHub station has moved, try back tomorrow!" :roll:

To avoid spawning stations in unwanted places and to prevent multiple copies...the script starts with this:
if(system.sun.isGoingNova || System.sun.hasGoneNova || system.gonenova || system.isInterstellarSpace || !this.firstLaunch)

(NOTE: this.firstLaunch must be defined in the script and start out as false!)
I also do individual checks for duplicates for each station, like this:
system.countShipsWithRole("sothis") < 1
It would only get added that way if none were already present.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Switeck wrote:
... System.sun.hasGoneNova || system.gonenova ...
These two look like syntax errors. The first one should have a lowercase "system". The second one should have an uppercase "goneNova", and according to the Wiki it doesn't exist anyway.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Iirc the latter is the older (and now redundant) version of the former. It isn't in the wiki as it isn't valid any longer.