Oolite graphics bug

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Oolite graphics bug

Post by OSH »

Hi. I'm running Oolite 1.74.2 and I have such view:

Can somebody explain me,what I should to do, these grey figures disappear? I think, this is caused by my GFX Card, but I don't know how can I solve this problem.
My system:
ATI Radeon X1550
Athlon 2 GHz
2 GB RAM

Log:

Code: Select all

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2010-10-30 17:38:19 +0100.
1 processor detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 2
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1024 x 768
[dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch.
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted Mode - Resources paths:
    Resources
    ../AddOns
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.8545 ("2.1.8545 Release")
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (95):
GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ATI_meminfo, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_shadow_ambient, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_ATI_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, WGL_EXT_swap_control, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_AMD_performance_monitor, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
[rendering.opengl.shader.mode]: Shader mode set to SHADERS_SIMPLE.
[shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts:
    oolite-cloaking-device 1.74.2
    oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-thargoid-plans 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2010-10-30 17:38:41 +0100.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Which ATI driver version do you have installed? The information centre of your Catalyst control centre will tell you.
Also which version of Windows?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Oolite graphics bug

Post by maik »

OSH wrote:
Can somebody explain me,what I should to do, these grey figures disappear? I think, this is caused by my GFX Card, but I don't know how can I solve this problem.
Hi OSH,

I don't quite follow your question, which grey figures do you want to disappear?

In the log I see that your shaders are set to "simple". Have you tried playing around with this setting? It is in the Oolite configuration which you can access from the pause screen. Your system should be able to handle full shaders.

Cheers,
-Maik
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

@Maik:

make brightness and contrast higher and you'll see small grey rectangulars dispersed on whole space. I've set shaders full and simple - nothing he-ps

@El Viejo:
CCC version: 2010.0210.2339.42455
System: Windows XP SP2
Cody

Post by Cody »

I think that’s the latest driver you can get for your X1550… I had to up the brightness and contrast right up to see your grey blobs… very strange.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I believe this is a driver problem. OSH, you can try the following, but I am not sure if it will work. If it does not, I would recommend a different driver version, even if it means falling back to drivers other than the latest. Anyway, you can try opening the file <OoliteInstallDir>\oolite.app\GNUstep\Defaults\.GNUstepDefaults and adding this line inside the dictionary titled "oolite" (make a new line somewehere between the { and }):

Code: Select all

"sky-render-inset-coords" = YES;
Save the file and restart Oolite, then let us know if that worked.
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

You had right, it was driver problem. I've installed latest OMEGA drivers, and now I can see beautiful nebulas. Thanks for help :)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Wow.

To see those 'grey figures' I had to ramp my gamma up to over 2x (which of course blows my entire screen for normal use). With my defaults, all I could see on his screenshot was 1 faint star.

No wonder I keep thinking Oolite has been -way- too dark since 1.72 or whenever if everybody else can ordinarily see what OSH meant.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

Micha wrote:
No wonder I keep thinking Oolite has been -way- too dark since 1.72 or whenever if everybody else can ordinarily see what OSH meant.
And I agree with you. I want to see these beautiful nebulas, but also I had to set up my gamma level very hight. Is any way to make these nebulas brighter?
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

I don't think you need to worry.
All I can easily see without messing with the screen is one bright pixel about 1/3 of the way to the top edge from the crosshairs.
In the lower right-hand corners there's a faint collection of shapes that look like squares of varying sizes. Two overlapping ones about the size of the Spd/roll/pitch/energy console, and a scattering of smaller ones slightly bigger than the Condition Yellow light. And they are faint enough that I initially went "hmm, nothing there", then "oh, wait, I think I see..."
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt