Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Docking clearance notifications

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Docking clearance notifications

Post by SiriusCG »

Howdy ...

Is there a way to turn off the green notification text when using the docking clearance protocol option? It seem a bit redundant to have basically the same info displayed in two places on the screen and I prefer the layout of the Communications Log output.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Dockin ... r_later%29

Thanks.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

It is not possible to turn off the green text at this time without direct core code changes. Note that these messages are like any other comms message: they are meant to appear both in the area dedicated to messages and the communications log, then fade out.
SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SiriusCG »

Thx AC, I kind of thought it was a code change ...

Cheers.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

another_commander wrote:
It is not possible to turn off the green text at this time without direct core code changes. Note that these messages are like any other comms message: they are meant to appear both in the area dedicated to messages and the communications log, then fade out.
Let me ask the other way round: Would it be possible to disable the displaying of the whole log when a new comms message arrives, and limit the log display to its keypress only?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Commander McLane wrote:
Let me ask the other way round: Would it be possible to disable the displaying of the whole log when a new comms message arrives, and limit the log display to its keypress only?
Yes but, again, only by making changes to the core code. Having said that, personally I prefer the log displayed with some of its history, as it is now.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

another_commander wrote:
They get in the way quite badly when you're in a fight and suddenly get a multi-line message about an incoming email, obscuring your opponent.

I think that displaying them in one place only is sufficient and the comms log gets in the way the least. So I would rather remove the green text in the middle of the screen. Or have a key toggle for message display, and turn off message display altogether when you're in a dangerous/red situation, just like TAF resets itself to 1.0 in that case.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

It does mess up one's ability to see and aim sometimes. Even if it was off to the side a bit so the center of the screen was clear, it would be a help. I mean, I guess we all manage, but an info display that can cover the main action def isn't optimal for the actual gameplay.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I’ve just been in a ‘nice’ firefight… what obscured my view most often were the cargo related messages, especially when I’d had five or six pods shot-off in quick succession, plus flown through a bunch of pods, scooping a few. Those I could do without, at con-red, but I need the combat-critical messages. A smaller font size might help… but I’m well used to it now, and it’s all part of the frantic chaos of combat.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Maybe if the text was somewhat transparent?

In Elite, most messages were center screen, if I recall right, but screens were smaller and smaller txt didn't make sense at that sort of resolution. And there were a lot less messages to cope with, I think.
SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SiriusCG »

I wonder if it could be incorporated into a "HUD element" using smaller text?
Kind of a "message screen" part that could be placed in a custom HUD ...

Just thinking out loud ...

Cheers.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I seem to recall you can tweak the transparency of all comms messages with one plist setting, unless I'm very wrong...

Edit: yep, inside hud.plist you can configure both message_gui and comm_log_gui to override the standard position, transparency, etc., in fact a whole lot of settings!

If you combine that with the switchable hud concept, you could make a combat mode hud to 'show' totally transparent messages - can't stop oolite from wanting to show them, but hey, if they're invisible when 'shown'... ;)

Unfortunately there's no actuall wiki documentation on what can be put inside hud.plist...

Just tested it with a copy of hud.plist put inside AddOns/Config!

What you need to do to make the messages almost transparent is to make this change

Original hud.plist snippet:

Code: Select all

overall_alpha	= 0.75;
	reticle_target_sensitive = no;
	cloak_indicator_on_status_light = yes;
}
not-quite invisible messages:

overall_alpha	= 0.75;
	reticle_target_sensitive = no;
	cloak_indicator_on_status_light = yes;

message_gui =
	{
		alpha = 0.25;
	};
	comm_log_gui =
	{
		alpha = 0.25;
	};
}
Amongst other things, the hud message line does display stuff like equimpment failure, which missile you're targeting, etc.. stuff you really do want to be distracted by, especially in the middle of a fight! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

That works. :D

Having tinkered with it a little, .15 is just about exactly the amount of transparency I had in mind.

Thank you, sir.
SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SiriusCG »

Thx for that Kaks! Giving the text a bit of transparency works well.

Cheers.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Good memory there Kaks, I had completely forgotten about the message_gui setting in hud.plist. Anyway, this setting offers some really good options to those who think that the messages get in the way, as it allows customization of not only initial alpha, but also things like coordinates of messages, font size and even message window dimensions. Below is an example. With this message_gui setting in the default hud.plist:

message_gui =
{
	width = 210;
	height = 160;
	x = 200;
	y = -50;
	row_height=12;
};
we get this for our messages: Image
Hopefully this should be OK. You could even design a hud with a near-transparent background in the area of your messages to simulate a HUD sub-screen.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

That's excellent! :D

Question: can you do the same with comm_log_gui?