Keeping track of OXP bugs and warnings

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Keeping track of OXP bugs and warnings

Post by maik »

Hi all,

Maulby de Fug and CheeseRedux have been quite active in the past days bringing errors and warnings from the OXPs that appear in the log to everyone's attention. It would be great if we wouldn't lose this information in the murky depth of the BB, so I would like to ask one of the BB admins to create a sticky thread where new findings can be posted.

In order to actually get a benefit from this I suggest I create a Wiki page which picks up the information from this thread and keeps it organized, so that when bugs/warnings are fixed or being worked on, the information on the Wiki page can be updated or removed again.

This may seem like duplication of work, but I think it is necessary: There are many more BB than Wiki authors and the BB is always sorted by date which results in a mess if you need an overview of a bug status. The Wiki page can be arranged in any way that seems sensible.

The goal would be to improve the quality of the OXPs beyond where they already are (which is quite stellar, but there's always room for improvement ;-))

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
-Maik
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Hmm, it could get very messy very quickly if a gazillion bugs from a gazillion OXPs were discussed in one thread.

How about this:
A thread where each bug has one post with a short description and a link to the thread actually discussing the bug? That way it would serve as a sort of index, and wouldn't immediately grow to be a mega-multi-page thread.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

It has been traditional for bugs on particular OXPs to eventually appear in the thread for that OXP in the Expansion Pack thread.

Sometimes of course it takes a while to ID which particular thread is repsonsible for which bug, but once ID'd it shouldn't be hard to do a bit of c&p and move the resolution into the correct thread.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

CheeseRedux wrote:
Hmm, it could get very messy very quickly if a gazillion bugs from a gazillion OXPs were discussed in one thread.

How about this:
A thread where each bug has one post with a short description and a link to the thread actually discussing the bug? That way it would serve as a sort of index, and wouldn't immediately grow to be a mega-multi-page thread.
Sounds good. And the index thread should be sticky.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
It has been traditional for bugs on particular OXPs to eventually appear in the thread for that OXP in the Expansion Pack thread.
Bugs are being reported all over the place. Sometimes indeed in a thread that belongs to an OXP, sometimes in other OXPs' threads, and sometimes in threads about OXP dev questions. Forum-wise they appear in the discussion forum, in the OXP forum, and in the bug report forum...

If we have one sticky thread (as an index, as CheeseRedux suggested), then it would be a lot easier to maintain an overview of sorts. Even if someone posts a bug in an off-topc thread you could still link to it from there.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

DaddyHoggy wrote:

Sometimes of course it takes a while to ID which particular thread is repsonsible for which bug, but once ID'd it shouldn't be hard to do a bit of c&p and move the resolution into the correct thread.
But then you also have stuff like this

Code: Select all

[strings.conversion.vector]: ***** ERROR: cannot make vector from '0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 1.0': could not scan a float value.
from earlier today. Although the likely culprit got identified, a bit further digging into the depths of the BB revealed that similar stuff has cropped up half a dozen times in the past couple of years in different OXPs. Having that kind of information readily available in a 'bug-index' thread wouldn't be a bad thing.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

maik wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Bugs are being reported all over the place. Sometimes indeed in a thread that belongs to an OXP, sometimes in other OXPs' threads, and sometimes in threads about OXP dev questions. Forum-wise they appear in the discussion forum, in the OXP forum, and in the bug report forum...

If we have one sticky thread (as an index, as CheeseRedux suggested), then it would be a lot easier to maintain an overview of sorts. Even if someone posts a bug in an off-topc thread you could still link to it from there.
Could be useful! My policy has been, once I've identified the oxp responsible, to search the BB for the most recent/appropriate thread that I can find relating to that oxp. As a result, I think that bugs have ended up reported, mainly in the "Expansion Pack" forum, but occasionally in "Discussion" and "Testing and Bug Report". My reasoning for doing so is that this is the most likely way to know that the author of that oxp will be notified, whereas if I opened a thread in a forum, 'tis not necessarily guaranteed that they would see it...

Finding a thread that it would make sense to report the bug in can be tricky as well, as often some oxps have multiple threads, and it takes a fair amount of digging through to decide which to post in. It would make sense to me to have a single location to post for each oxp, and for there to be a thread or something for undiagnosed bugs, where the entry could be relocated to the specific oxp's thread once identified. Quite how this could be implemented, I have no idea, but it might make it easier for authors to manage and maintain their own oxps. Of course, that doesn't really work well for orphaned oxps unless they're adopted.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
My policy has been, once I've identified the oxp responsible, to search the BB for the most recent/appropriate thread that I can find relating to that oxp.
That's a good policy. Much appreciated. :)