Standard equipment compability?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Standard equipment compability?

Post by CheeseRedux »

I'm obviously overlooking something glaringly obvious here, because I cannot for the life of me figure this one out:

Where is it listed what extra equipment a ship can install?
I've been rummaging through plists, both native and OXP, but I can find nothing that tells me that eg a Cobra3 can have a Large Cargo Bay but an Adder cannot.

As a follow-up question: Some stuff is listed in the equipment.plist as being available to all. What about the rest of it? Is it available unless specified it's not, or is it unavailable unless specified it is? Or a weird combination of the two.

Finally, is OXP equipment governed differently from native equipment?
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi CR,
It's on the Wiki. Go to the Ships section and on the page for each ship you'll find a link to the page that lists all the optional equipment available for that ship. For OXP ships, look at the Wiki page for the ship, or the 'readme'. It's up to the OXP author how clear they make this.

Edit:- 'The available to all' items will be things like escape capsules, available to all as the name implies.
For Buyable ships, the detail is in the shipyard.plist. This lists all the optional equipment for a ship, and has a 'chance' factor which determines whether and what equipment is fitted to ships for sale.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Ah, yes, I know that part.

I'm wondering where in the game files it is hidden.
I'm pretty sure the game doesn't check the Wiki! :wink:

(Note to self: Phrase questions with less ambiguity...)

Edit: I was under the impression that the list in the shipyards.plist governed the chance that a certain piece of equipment came pre-installed, not whether it was installable. Is it as simple as not listed there = not available?
Then what of OXP equipment?
Last edited by CheeseRedux on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

in shipyard.plist there is a section optional_equipment generally if it isnt in there, you cant have it.

I think this is true for native and oxp equipment, so almost all oxp equipment is marked as available to all. Even if marked as available to all, there can be required equipment, or incompatible equipment so not everything "available to all" actually is available to everyone.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Standard equipment compability?

Post by CheeseRedux »

CheeseRedux wrote:
I'm obviously overlooking something glaringly obvious here
And the glaringly obvious thing was the dual function of the optional_equipment part in the shipyard.plist... :oops:

Anyway, to recap in case someone stumbles across this thread searching for the same info.

For native Oolite equipment it must, in order to be installable, be listed as

Code: Select all

available_to_all = true
in Oolite's equipment.plist

or be listed in the

optional_equipment
or

standard_equipment
in the ship's shipyard.plist.

Whereas OXP equipment availability is governed by the OXP in question.
That sounds right, yes?

Further thought: Is there a way to generally hinder the availability of OXP equipment? Say you want to hinder the installing of, let's say, the AMS? Or even more restrictive, only approved OXP equipment can be installed, so when someone (most likely Thargoid :wink: ) comes up with a new piece of gear, it won't be available? I'm not saying this is a desiralable thing, I'm just wondering.
Last edited by CheeseRedux on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think you have available_to_all wrong.

If it is there, then the equipment is available to all ships, even if its not in the ships shipyard.plist.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Cmdr James wrote:
I think you have available_to_all wrong.

If it is there, then the equipment is available to all ships, even if its not in the ships shipyard.plist.
By "or (and)" I meant that it may be listed twice. For instance, all lasers are listed as available to all, but will usually (almost always) be listed as standard equipment and often with a better laser as optional equipment.
Sometimes I even confuse myself...
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

OK, in that case you are right. However I dont think its any different for OXP equipment. It still needs to be listed in the shipyard.plist or marked as available to all.