Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Neolite Ships links broken on the Wiki

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Neolite Ships links broken on the Wiki

Post by Obsidian »

Been like this for at least a week. Anybody know when/if they'll be restored?
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Neolite Ships links broken on the Wiki

Post by maik »

Obsidian wrote:
Been like this for at least a week. Anybody know when/if they'll be restored?
The author is aware and said he'll be sorting out his hosting... no idea when this will happen though :?
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

Thank you, maik.
Jon Ridgway
Above Average
Above Average

Neolite

Post by Jon Ridgway »

Hi,

Aware the link is still broken, had my laptop stolen on monday, so i'm just trying to rebuild oolite - first oxp's i want to add back neolite - can someone put them up on a temp link so i can download them?
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

And me too, please :)
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Popular ships! I too would be interested in adding the three sets to my Ooniverse! Or, considering some of the problems I've had with the others shipsets, at least trying to!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Neolite

Post by CheeseRedux »

Jon Ridgway wrote:
can someone put them up on a temp link so i can download them?
Trouble with Neolite - at least the version residing on my hard drive - is that it ships without a license file. As I understand it, that means the strictest possible license applies. Which means I am legally speaking not allowed to keep it, much less distribute it. Somebody correct me if I got this wrong.

Neolite Companion, otoh, has a GPLv2 license, which states, among other things: "You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program." So I'm free to hand out copies of that one. (Again, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.) Personally, I'm still reluctant doing so, since the author is very easy to get hold of even if the site is down.

To sum it up: Temporary hosting is very easy to fix from a technical point of view, but legal, ethical & moral stuff tends to make things a tad more complicated.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

CheeseRedux wrote:
Jon Ridgway wrote:
Trouble with Neolite - at least the version residing on my hard drive - is that it ships without a license file. As I understand it, that means the strictest possible license applies. Which means I am legally speaking not allowed to keep it, much less distribute it. Somebody correct me if I got this wrong.

To sum it up: Temporary hosting is very easy to fix from a technical point of view, but legal, ethical & moral stuff tends to make things a tad more complicated.
That makes sense. Licensing info seems to be best described on the stickied thread in the expansion pack forum here. We may well have to be a little be more patient!
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

It's heartening to find the neolite oxps are still so popular. I anticipate being overshadowed by Griffs efforts and my own interest has shifted towards supporting them.
Jon Ridgway wrote:
I have had a change in personal circumstance recently which means I am behind a slow connection and my own copies of the oxps are archived and temporarily inaccessible. This is making it difficult to deal with the problems. Annoying and frustrating I agree.

The obvious solution is to unpack the files to a laptop and get on a fast connection - sending them to box or someplace similar. Right now I'm hamstrung by circumstance so I need help.
CheeseRedux wrote:

You should find a copy of the licence in the readme file with each oxp.
Almost all the pngs have a cc by sa licence stamped on them.

All the neolite oxps contain derived works someplace ... it will be useful if people would check the licenses. I intended the oxps to be redistributable and modifiable on condition that the same rights are extended to the modified versions.

If someone wants to put their copies of the oxps someplace handy to others, you are welcome to do so. You can also modify them - though it would be polite to indicate that you are distributing a modified version.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Good to know that you're still around. :D
Simon B wrote:
You should find a copy of the licence in the readme file with each oxp.
That's good to know. But, when I downloaded the neolite-wolfies.oxp, I only got the OXP itself, there was no readMe (at least I don't see any in my save location).
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Windows & linux people don't generally realise that the oxp itself is seen as one packagage on a mac, so it might well be inside the oxp package...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Jon Ridgway
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jon Ridgway »

Hi All,

Yes Simon good to see your still around - your oxps are excellent in their own right - not wanting to detract from Griffs. In fact i also love your New Zeland inspired oxp's - big and small - can't remember the Maoir names!

Could someone upload these as well as the neolite oxps now that Simon has given the green light?

Thanks,

JJon.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Kaks wrote:
Windows & linux people don't generally realise that the oxp itself is seen as one packagage on a mac, so it might well be inside the oxp package...
That's where I looked, and didn't find anything. I haven't looked into the Config, Models, and Textures folders, but I don't assume a readMe to be located so deep into the folder structure.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Commander McLane wrote:
Kaks wrote:
That's where I looked, and didn't find anything. I haven't looked into the Config, Models, and Textures folders, but I don't assume a readMe to be located so deep into the folder structure.
I have looked everywhere. Unless there's a file my WinXP does not recognize as a text file and is also named something that makes it look to be anything but a readme/license file, the Neolite & Neolite Wolfies I downloaded on October 3rd last year contain nothing but the files that make the OXPs work.
No license, no readme, no nothing.
(As mentioned earlier, the Companion does contain a readme.)
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

iirc: Wolfies was a bit rushed.

Let me know if there is a comment at the top of the plist files - that's where I tended to to them when it's a work in progress. The license needs to be compatible with the original wolfies. That author has given me permission to make a neolite version of his oxp - so subject to Wolf's veto, I am happy to have it redistributed under the same licence as the others - you can cut and paste to create a license file if you want.

Anyone may also redistribute under any compatible license. My main concern is that I want people to be able to modify my works but I want subsequent users to be able to access the modifications so the advantages are not lost to the community and disadvantages can be fixed by someone else if needed.

Note - you may even sell my works modified or not as you see fit. In the event that you make a substantial sum off my work I would consider it polite to send some my way but I do not require royalties.

I am really keen that people keen on scripting will look at the possibilities of being creative in the neolite ooniverse - this is something I am totally rapcay at.

I'm puzzled about the neolite core licence (the neolite.oxp) since I recall putting one inside the oxp itself and Ahruman(?) pointing out (a) nobody reads these and (b) Mac users won't find them ... encouraging me to put it next to the oxp in the archive. Maintaining the readme's was a pita, I had to update the progress in each set. That's also where I put the version numbers and people wanted the version on the archive name.

The neolite core license is the same as Oolite's.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia