There are no starbases

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Bob Ski
Harmless
Harmless

There are no starbases

Post by Bob Ski »

I flew around for hours looking for starbases and found none. I followed all the troubleshooting help listed.

The only SB I have seen is the one at Lave, and I don't know if that disappears as I am not able to obtain fuel scoops without earning some credits by trading, and I cannot warp back to Lave from the closest planet without added fuel.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi BobSki, Welcome to the Board.
The stations are there, one per planet, but they can be hard to find particularly if they are in shade (the planet is between the Sun and the Station). Normally as you approach the planet you will see it but not always.
If you can't see it, you will need to fly around a bit looking, I'm afraid. One trick you may not have tried is to fly out towards the Sun and then head back. With the Sun behind you the station will often be illuminated and therefore more easily seen. Also (plug, plug) try my Accesories OXP, This re-textures the Stations and other non-ship objects and as the stations are lit, they 'twinkle' quite nicely which can make them easier to see from a distance.
When you can afford it, get an Advanced Space Compass as this will locate the Navigation Beacon.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: There are no starbases

Post by maik »

Bob Ski wrote:
I flew around for hours looking for starbases and found none. I followed all the troubleshooting help listed.

The only SB I have seen is the one at Lave, and I don't know if that disappears as I am not able to obtain fuel scoops without earning some credits by trading, and I cannot warp back to Lave from the closest planet without added fuel.
Hi Bob Ski, welcome!

In addition to what Smivs said: when you hyperspace to the next system (you have to hyperspace there, flying is impossible) your standard installed compass will tell you where the planet is (yes, you can also see the planet, but that's not the point). Fly towards the planet. Once you get close, your compass will switch its target to the station (the dot jumps a bit). Following this you will always find it, regardless of whether it's in the planet's shadow or not.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

maik wrote:
Bob Ski wrote:

Hi Bob Ski, welcome!

In addition to what Smivs said: when you hyperspace to the next system (you have to hyperspace there, flying is impossible) your standard installed compass will tell you where the planet is (yes, you can also see the planet, but that's not the point). Fly towards the planet. Once you get close, your compass will switch its target to the station (the dot jumps a bit). Following this you will always find it, regardless of whether it's in the planet's shadow or not.
The only thing that I'd add to this is that sometimes the Space Station can be around the other side of the planet (from where you "arrive"), which is a pain because naturally you can't fly straight through the planet, and you can't visually see the Space Station either. So in this instance you do literally have to fly around the planet to get to the Space Station. Other than that, as has been stated, the compass should always be able to locate the Space Station directly once you are close enough to the planet. In addition, the entrance to the Space Station always faces the planet.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Darkbee wrote:
The only thing that I'd add to this is that sometimes the Space Station can be around the other side of the planet (from where you "arrive")
This I have never seen, but then again I did not install any of the planet/moon adding or orbit creating OXPs. I don't think this happens in the plain Oolite planet systems.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

maik wrote:
Darkbee wrote:
The only thing that I'd add to this is that sometimes the Space Station can be around the other side of the planet (from where you "arrive")
This I have never seen, but then again I did not install any of the planet/moon adding or orbit creating OXPs. I don't think this happens in the plain Oolite planet systems.
It can't never be at the back of a planet in plain oolite. The code does an explicit check that the station is always closer to the witchpoint than the planet.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Then either I'm thinking of the original Elite, or I'm mistaken in both cases, and managed to approach some planets from various "non-standard" directions.

In any case, I guess the original poster can safely ignore my post. Thanks for the clarification. :)
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

If you can see other ships, preferably a peaceful convoi - you can follow them. (As long as they seem to fly towards the planet, not towards the sun.)
But that is a very slow way of getting somewhere.
Darkbee wrote:
Then either I'm thinking of the original Elite, or I'm mistaken in both cases, and managed to approach some planets from various "non-standard" directions.
I sometimes run into that when I left the main space lane, to avoid trouble. Without space compass, that can get challenging. :)