Test of Opera Unite as local repository

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Test of Opera Unite as local repository

Post by CheeseRedux »

Following the slight derailment of this thread, I've looked into this thing a bit.

(The whole thing took a lot longer than it should, due to the fact that I screwed things up... To make a short story long I had already made an account on OU some time ago, but had long since forgotten the password. And since I thought I had used an email address to which I've long since forgotten the password to set up the account, I tried to just ignore the old account and set up the new one. Trouble was that my Opera still remembered that I had the other one, so the option of making a new one didn't show up. After a bit of frantic searching in inboxes to find some proof that I actually owned the other email so I could get my password reset, I stumbled across the OU activation email. That's what you get for trying to do stuff involving thinking and memory after having celebrated the demise of a couple of American vultures. But I digress.)

Before I go on: This is initially just a test to see how the technical side of things work. The bigger issues, ie the legalities of this kind of OXP distribution, and - legalities aside - whether this kind of distribution is desirable, I have not offered much thought. Obviously those will have to be dealt with if this thing looks promising.

Okay, so the premise is this: Opera Unite is a feature that allows a user to share the contents of any folder on a local machine with the outside world without actually uploading any content anywhere. The obvious downside to this is of course that the moment I turn off my computer, my content is no longer available. Also, it is naturally vulnerable to upload speed issues. As such, it is almost certainly unsuitable as a primary way of distributing OXPs. My thought was more along the lines of having a small cluster of backup download locations, for those cases where the main location is unavailable.

For instance, we could put a "Download not working? Look here" thing on the OXP page, giving the alternate locations while providing a warning that any or all of those might also be temporarily unavailable and most likely a lot slower than the primary location. Oh, well, just brainstorming here.

Anyway, just to test that this thing actually works as intended, I've put up a folder with a text document in it. So if someone could try http://avenger.vonshacklestein.operauni ... e_sharing/ and see what comes of it, we at least know if I managed to get the thing working. I enabled the password protection just for fun, just use my name to get in.
(At some point it might be an idea to test whether I actually have to have Opera running on my machine for the download to work, or if being connected to the hyperweb is sufficient.)
Last edited by CheeseRedux on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yeah, that works okay.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Splendid. Now, if I shut down Opera for a little bit, can you test if it still works?
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cody

Post by Cody »

'vonShacklestein's computer is offline', came the response.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Yeah, I got a warning when I shut down the browser. Then the limitations are clear.
'preciate the assistance.
--Dean C Engelhardt