DWWIN

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

DWWIN

Post by OlderGamer »

Please delete this thread if not applicable..

Since I restarted playing Oolite a couple of weeks ago (1.65 and then 1.74.2 only in the last 5 days or so), I have noticed that if I have been playing for a couple of hours, when I shut down the computer, I get a Windows Pop-up message saying that DWWIN.exe is not responding.. it clears almost straight away and the computer shuts down.

Since it was affirmed to me here a few days ago that Oolite does not us the registry.. and DWWIN seems to be a registry error (if I have read it correctly on the www), then I am wondering if this is just me...

I have not installed any new software (I always wait 7-10days before installing MS windows updates after they are released because they have caused problems in the past, the current are not installed yet).

AVG does/has updated daily.

Any thoughts?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think dwwin is dr watson, a kind of windows error handler.

I think you have a windows problem rather than an oolite one, what windows are you rinning, and what if anything is in the event log?
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

Cmdr James wrote:
I think dwwin is dr watson, a kind of windows error handler.

I think you have a windows problem rather than an oolite one, what windows are you rinning, and what if anything is in the event log?
I really don't want to raise it here if it is nothing to do with Oolite.

I am on Windows XP SP2.

The only software that I have installed for months is Oolite, apart from MS updates that I lag because of the issues that almost cost me real money here:
Microsoft disconnect

and GriSoft.com/AVG daily updates.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Sorry for massively OT'ing the thread and it's a bit early for swapping halloween ghost stories, but creepy Watson is creepy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

:D
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

OlderGamer wrote:
The only software that I have installed for months is Oolite, apart from MS updates that I lag because of the issues that almost cost me real money
You are not alone in that...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinov ... 74871.aspx
"frankly I'm scared to death every time I have to update a driver or install a patch because I know just how much potential pain and suffering I'm bringing down on my head."

My philosophy is less is more. Don't need it, don't install it! Oolite runs faster that way.
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

DWWIN.exe - DLL Initialization Failed -
The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

I have been doing some more investigation into this as I also believed it was slowing my computer down, specifically my internet upload/download speeds, although I cannot confirm this.

The results of my investigations, for anybody else that comes across this, was quite obscure and was to do with out of date software that I installed when I recently had to buy a new mouse, a Logitech RX250 (cheap and cheerful :lol: ).

Anyway, the driver for the mouse appeared to be the most upto date and this confused me for a while, but long story short, I enventually realised that mice now need whole applications to make them work (it only has 2 buttons and a wheel ffs :o ).

The outcome was that the supplied Logitech SetPoint software was from 2002. I have downloaded and installed the latest SetPoint software and everything is now working wonderfully.... atm! 8)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Ive used a range of pointing devices, and not needed any software for years (the extra buttons sometimes dont work).

It might be worth removing all of the software, rather than try to keep it up to date.