Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Noob

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

thegingerlightbulb
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Noob

Post by thegingerlightbulb »

I love this game and have just installed it oolite 1.74.
Do any of the OXP developments come in this download or do in need to download them seperately? If I do need to download them which ones are the best to download for missions and general gameplay (not too bothered about the graphics). Does 1.74 have all 8 galaxies already in the game? Does it have missions available?

Sorry for the amount of questions. I did look for this information but couldn't find an accurate answer
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi tglb and welcome.

Oolite 1.74.2 comes as a complete game, including all eight galaxies, and five ‘native’ missions. All oxp’s are separate, and have to be downloaded individually and installed into the Oolite ‘addons’ folder. Much goodness can be found here.

Enjoy…
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Hi gingerlightbulb, welcome to the boards, the friendliest ones this side of Riedquat.

All OXPs come separately, take a look at the Wiki to find them. The OXP list itself can be sorted by category, that way you easily find extra missions (a few are part of the core game, see the mission list for details) and other addons.

The 8 galaxies are all included in the core game.

Have fun and don't hestitate to ask more question. You will find many answers in the Wiki though. ;-)

EDIT: just what the old one said...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi and welcome to the board. :)
Everyone has their own list of must-have OXPs, it's all down to personal preference. As the guys have said, the OXP list is the place to go. Just a cautionary note though, some of the missions are pretty tough and really need a bit of experience and a good 'Iron Ass' ship (fully loaded with defensive and offensive kit). If you're just starting, have a look at some of the Galaxy 1 missions designed for new players. You'll have a lot of fun gaining experience and building up some cash as well as improving your ship.
And don't overlook the eye-candy. You might as well have fun in a beautiful Ooniverse, and the immersion in the game often comes from the visuals.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
thegingerlightbulb
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Thanks for all the info...I'll certainly look into the links given. Do any OXP's have a storyline of sorts i.e. the empire vs the federation type thing that elite two had or is that too complex to do?
thegingerlightbulb
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Also can I download an unlimited amount of OXP's? Or is there a limit I should stick to?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

thegingerlightbulb wrote:
Also can I download an unlimited amount of OXP's? Or is there a limit I should stick to?
The limit is your computer's memory. Note however, that adding way too many OXPs increases the chances of some of them conflicting with eachother, e.g. one OXP may be adding planets and moons to the systems, while another one might be removing planets and moons from systems. The recommended approach to OXP installation is to install the ones you really want, one at a time, making sure that the game still works the way you want it to after each installation.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

thegingerlightbulb wrote:
Thanks for all the info...I'll certainly look into the links given. Do any OXP's have a storyline of sorts i.e. the empire vs the federation type thing that elite two had or is that too complex to do?
Many mission OXPs have a story line. The following list is incomplete but they are the ones that I played through: Deposed, Galactic Navy Spec Ops, Lovecats, Military Fiasco, Trident Down.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

And even supposedly "harmless" things like space stations might have special pirate "missions" attached to them...as we found out recently with Free Trade Zone OXP. :lol:
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I tend to like the OXPs that give extra ships and stations for variety. So Commies,YAH,Free Trade Zone, deep space pirates, stuff like that.