Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ascension (possible spoilers)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ascension (possible spoilers)

Post by mcarans »

I've travelled to Ascension which has an interesting description and location. But it doesn't seem to be any different to anywhere else once you make the effort to get there. There is no extra equipment even though it is tech level 16. Am I missing something?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I included in Famous Planets because Lestradae was at that time busy with Oolite Extended. What I did was only make a texture and description and put it in. Famous Planets only changes descriptions and texts in the F7 screen, Nothing else.

So the rest (abillity to buy goodies etc) is up to Oolite Extended. But I have doubts if there is active development on that. I sent a PM a few days ago to Lestradae and don't get an answer so I don't know if he's just on a long lurk or lost interest.

Maybe Lestradae (if he reads this) can shed some light? :wink:
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ascension (possible spoilers)

Post by Commander McLane »

mcarans wrote:
I've travelled to Ascension which has an interesting description and location. But it doesn't seem to be any different to anywhere else once you make the effort to get there. There is no extra equipment even though it is tech level 16. Am I missing something?
Like pagroove said, you're missing the OXP that re-named a system to "Ascension" in the first place (which means that no such system exists in Oolite, or has existed in Elite).

And you don't get any extra equipment, because in Oolite there is no equipment with a tech level greater than 14 (which means that creating a system with a TL greater than the range offered in Oolite (1-15) only makes sense if you have some non-vanilla equipment to offer; there is of course a lot of OXP-only equipment, but no scripter would give it a TL of 16, because it wouldn't be available in game, except in case some other scripter would create a system with TL 16).

Which is the reason why I think that the concept of renaming a planet in order to give it a higher-than-the-normal-range tech level is inherently silly.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

I think it adds nice flavour.

You could of course expand the concept so that the place really is worth visiting, maybe several times.

For example:
- unique main station
- some equipment and/or ship to buy/obtain via mission(s) that is not available elsewhere
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Zieman wrote:
I think it adds nice flavour.

You could of course expand the concept so that the place really is worth visiting, maybe several times.

For example:
- unique main station
- some equipment and/or ship to buy/obtain via mission(s) that is not available elsewhere
One of the things in the description is that there are other systems outside the range of the Galcop drive, so maybe a possibility is that a range increase is offered as equipment to get from Ascension to one of these special systems as part of a mission. Just an idea.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If you mean a jump beyond 7ly, then it won't happen.

There are only a few things that are strictly hard-coded into the game, but that's one of them (along with laser cooling as the other that comes to mind offhand). Neither can be affected by OXP.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

pagroove wrote:
So the rest (abillity to buy goodies etc) is up to Oolite Extended. But I have doubts if there is active development on that. I sent a PM a few days ago to Lestradae and don't get an answer so I don't know if he's just on a long lurk or lost interest.

Maybe Lestradae (if he reads this) can shed some light? :wink:
I can - Hi.

Was on a long holiday in scotland. So an Oolite-less time.

Oolite Extended is not going to happen the way I originally envisioned it. It was supposed to become an all-in-one oxp or, basically a separate game amounting to that.

Oxp development has become so overheated these days (there have been 35 new oxps and updated oxps in the time of a 1.5 months holiday) that it would simply not be doable for a single person to keep up with merging all that. Then there's the issue of some people being quite unhappy with alternate versions of their oxps and the use of ca. 1 trillion different licenses, which would mean I had to keep in touch with literally a few hundred oxp authors ...

What might happen is that I create an umbrella oxp heavily dependent on other oxps that inserts the stuff from the OE WiP into the game and perhaps offer an Add Ons folder with compatible oxps and their Read Me's and flavour stuff too. If something like that could be done in friendly agreement with the oxp authors concerned. I would do the updating in such a case.

But, I haven't finally decided on that yet.

@pagroove:
You got PM! :wink:

@mcarans & Commander McLane:
Ascension in FPs was supposed to be a teaser for what was to come at Ascension and a handful of similar super-high-tech systems had I finished Oolite Extended. OE would have contained special equipment only available at these 16+ TL systems. If I create an umbrella oxp, I might still add that in.

Hope all of you guys are fine and enjoying the game

Cheers

L
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Ascension

Post by Cholmondely »

Lestradae wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:06 am
@mcarans & Commander McLane:
Ascension in Famous Planets was supposed to be a teaser for what was to come at Ascension and a handful of similar super-high-tech systems had I finished Oolite Extended. OE would have contained special equipment only available at these 16+ TL systems. If I create an umbrella oxp, I might still add that in.
What were you hoping to do with Ascension?

Possible Station: Z Superico. Zieman (2014) - different shells rotate seperately. (Zieman's oxp has this only at Lave).

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

And just thinking about what has been written by Dizzy et. al. about this,

if Ascension is the home of these peaceful humanoids with an advanced form of "anarchic government", what does this mean for piracy in the area?

Will it conform to what is found in other (real) anarchies (no attempt to control pirates)? Or will it resemble that found in corporates/democracies (lots of police, few pirates - but who pays for the police?).

I've not read the Culture series, so have no idea. I did read a book on anarchic ideology which made the point that all attempts to found a utopian anarchy have failed dismally (people got upset and left the communities until only a handful of navel-gazers remained).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:21 am
I've not read the Culture series...
Tsk tsk! Sci-fi doesn't get much better. The author's other novels (not sci-fi) are pretty good too.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!