Hopefully Friday

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hopefully Friday

Post by ClymAngus »

OK with a bit of luck I should have my website back up and running by Friday. As I have a funny 5 minutes, I can fully inform of saga that has been my last 6 months on the internet.

It all began when my debit card expired. No problem, I thought everything will just tick along (WRONG) my then service provider needed paying. Within a very short amount of time I was getting some really nasty e-mails. I thought, what's the problem? They'll just zero the account park the domain and that will be that. Apparently not, due to their "terms and conditions" they can officially **** up your life right royally.

Instead of just taking my site off web, they trashed my credit rating. I though, well this is a bit extreme. So I did the rounds of;
Why did you do that?
"because we can according to the terms and conditions".
True but isn't it a bit, you know, enthusiastic?
"but we can according to the terms and conditions."
So if it said you could come round my house and burn me alive in the terms and conditions you would?
"no reply"
By then the payment was way overdue and of course they charged me late fees because "it's in the terms and conditions"

Maybe I was a little naive expecting mercy, understanding and maybe a single thought towards future sales. Instead of power grabbing, megalomaniac tendencies. That said, when I think of service provider I think of half a dozen cubical monkeys who couldn't find a lady in a morgue. So maybe there is a lot of hate and pain looking for an outlet.

Personal issues aside, I found the sending of an automatic "your custom is important to us" e-mail after I'd zeroed crimsonforge to be ironic and painfully offensive.

Oh and they parked MY blank domain on a site that fills it with free advertising which THEY make money from.

That said with an even hand and thoughts for the future if you have a hosting with FASTHOSTS then read the terms and conditions very carefully. Also there are lots of other services out there that are as good for less money, with better terms and conditions, that allow you more than one domain of one area of webspace.

My advice from personal experience, don't use fasthosts use SERVAGE instead. Sorry for being so crap over the past few months guys but really dealing with these "people" (replace with the expletive of your choice) has been draining and made me look like a bit of a half ass, on forum.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:shock: Eek! Hope your credit rating also improves as does your web hosting...

EDIT: Perhaps I should mention your experience in a few places where I blog? Sounds like they're deserving of some bad press!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Saw this on facebook via DaddyHoggy. That's outrageous - how about a call to Watchdog or consumer advice?

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Excellent news, albeit rather painfully achieved!

The NeoCaddy has been downloaded 108 more times since I gave it a temporary home for you. Let me know when you're all set up and I'll take my copy down.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

How is it going with getting your web space back online? Which Friday in which year was promised to you? ;-)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

maik wrote:
How is it going with getting your web space back online? Which Friday in which year was promised to you? ;-)
Well, the code has been changed on the domain, sevage have said 6 working days. which was about 5.5 working days ago. I'm going to leave it till friday morning then start getting a little pissy.

At the very least I'm not someone's walking advert bitch any more (that's still really burning me). I think isotopeaudio will be done a little better than this one was.

I am constantly surprised by the paralytic speed anything important gets switched round on the internet.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

drew wrote:
Saw this on facebook via DaddyHoggy. That's outrageous - how about a call to Watchdog or consumer advice?

Cheers,

Drew.
Well I did sign the terms and conditions. They have got me on that. It doesn't say in the terms and condition that if I am dissatisfied with their service I can't shout it from the roof tops however.

The main thing that I find to be fairly illegal is that if you park a site they appear to automatically put advertising up on it which you don't see a bean of. Now I'm sorry but having paid good money for the domain name I thought it was my choice as to what appeared on it. 404 would have been preferable.

Apparently you have to select yourself out of this "service". It's like having a house that you leave vacant, as soon as you do so, the local council brakes the locks and puts council tenants in there. Oh and keeps the rent from them.

When you put it that way it all sounds a bit screwed up.

Thanks for the support guys I really do appreciate it.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

annnnnd I'm back up and running. Right, I'd better get sorting out all this extra stuff that's been waiting around.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

ClymAngus wrote:
annnnnd I'm back up and running. Right, I'd better get sorting out all this extra stuff that's been waiting around.
Yeayyy! It works indeed! :D