Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New here

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Coltron
Average
Average

New here

Post by Coltron »

I just picked up Oolite over at Fossforus, as I'm going through a major space sim kick.

Having never played Elite, this is all quite new to me, but It looks great so far.

I haven't gotten very far into it yet; I'm still trying to figure out how to find stations upon entering systems (yeah I read the manual and quick start guide, guess I'm just noobish that way).

Anyways, I really just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Welcome! I've found everyone pretty friendly around here (I'm sure you'll get the official greeting shortly)

I, like many here, played Elite way back on my first computer - A Commodore 64....back in mid 80s. Can't remember what rating I got to..probably Dangerous or Deadly...

Oolite is a faithful reproduction of that game, but with lots of really nice alterations and the freedom to customise your experience exactly how you want.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: New here

Post by Smivs »

Coltron wrote:
I just picked up Oolite over at Fossforus, as I'm going through a major space sim kick.

Having never played Elite, this is all quite new to me, but It looks great so far.

I haven't gotten very far into it yet; I'm still trying to figure out how to find stations upon entering systems (yeah I read the manual and quick start guide, guess I'm just noobish that way).

Anyways, I really just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.
Hi Coltron, and Welcome to the friendliest Board this side of Riedquat! (That's the official welcome, by the way). :D
This is a great game as you'll find, and a really friendly community as well.
Finding the Station can be tricky...fly towards the planet and keep looking. :? It's usually quite easy to find except when it's in shadow, in other words the planet is between it and the sun. As soon as you can, buy an Advanced Space Compass as this will help you to pinpoint them (and other things).
Also. check out the Wiki if you haven't already done so...loads of useful stuff on there, and have a look at the OXPs(Oolite Expansion Packs) as some of these will make the game much better in all sorts of ways. New missions, new ships, gadgets and loads of eye-candy to beautify your 'Ooniverse'.
Cheers,
Smivs
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Welcome onboard, Coltron.-)
Coltron
Average
Average

Post by Coltron »

Thanks for the warm welcomes - friendly indeed!

Since I posted, I've figured out how to pick the stations out from the surrounding stars; now I'm on the slow grind to make monies.

I'm loving it the more I play; Oolite (and I imagine by heritage Elite as well - that's next on my list) seems fairly unique next to other games of its kind.

Actually, it reads to me exactly like the Foobar2000 of space shooters: it has simple, functional, yet feature-rich controls and gui, and is expanded upon easily by the fanbase with addons. That's what I love about Foobar, and it's what's drawn me to this game as well.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Coltron wrote:
Since I posted, I've figured out how to pick the stations out from the surrounding stars; now I'm on the slow grind to make monies.
Welcome on board Coltron,

One other way to find the station is just fly to the planet and watch your basic compass. When you are close to the planet, the compass will suddenly jump and centre on the station. This is also the route most traders will follow and the route the pirates are waiting. By flying directly to the station you might miss some ships at the end, near the planet. However, a novice pilot probably doesn't want to meet to many pilots that mass-lock him at this crowded main-route and choose a route through the emptiness of the remaining space. :wink:

To find your way back to the witchpoint you will need an advanced compass.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Welcome!

Oolite is a game of patience, so don't be disheartened if things seem odd or difficult at first. The game's greatest asset is its sense of discovery and immersion, just let it wash over you! ;)

By the way, I'd highly that before you start jumping from planet to planet that you practice docking at the home planet. Simply leave the Space Station, turn around and try to go back in. It's going to be a while before you can afford a docking computer so being able to dock is an essential skill for any pilot.

Also, this is my personal opinion* but to get a good sense of the game and it's origins (Elite) I'd recommend you play without any Oolite Expansion Packs (or "OXPs" which are user generated custom content) at least initially until you get to grips with the game. Having said that, feel free to make the game your own, like I said above the game's greatest asset is the ability to completely immerse yourself in an Ooniverse of your own imagination and making.

Good luck and enjoy!

*So feel free to completely ignore it!
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Coltron wrote:
I'm loving it the more I play; Oolite (and I imagine by heritage Elite as well - that's next on my list) seems fairly unique next to other games of its kind.
Hi Coltron and welcome… you can get a hint of how the original Elite looked by turning wireframe graphics ‘on’ in the game options (and maybe selecting the ‘reset to strict play’ option) on the F2 screen.

Most of us here have played Elite, in some form… it’s interesting to hear how Oolite looks to someone who never played Elite.

Enjoy.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

El Viejo wrote:
… it’s interesting to hear how Oolite looks to someone who never played Elite...
It's almost unthinkable... but we don't judge here! :lol:
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Darkbee wrote:

Also, this is my personal opinion... I'd recommend you play without any Oolite Expansion Packs (or "OXPs" which are user generated custom content) at least initially until you get to grips with the game.
While I'd (strongly) agree with this as a general point, there's no harm in adding some nice eye-candy like prettier planets and one of the retexture sets for the ships. The in-built ones are a bit bland and the immersion and game in general are much more enjoyable if things look good. This can be done without affecting game dynamics in any way.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Welcome around.
Darkbee wrote:
By the way, I'd highly that before you start jumping from planet to planet that you practice docking at the home planet. Simply leave the Space Station, turn around and try to go back in. It's going to be a while before you can afford a docking computer so being able to dock is an essential skill for any pilot.
So maybe Thargoid's Beginner OXPs :
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:T ... Commanders

I recommend also pods.oxp (to be found on the same page) and the cargo_wrecks_teaser.oxp .
Both for some more fun without really changing the game balance.
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Cargo_Wreck_Teaser_OXP
Coltron
Average
Average

Post by Coltron »

Hmm, I've already installed a buch of OXP's, perhaps you're right that I should try vanilla Oolite first.

I figured out the space compass thing too; until I can upgrade my ship beyong just a beam laser and a fuel scoop (which I've yet to successfully use), I'm just going to keep doing that one thing the frog recommended, where one takes a heading 90 degrees from the planet and flies on for a bit to avoid the shipping lanes.

The first thing I'd like to note about this game is the vastness. Every other space sim I've flown so far is full of shortcuts and closed areas, yet here I have to spend several minutes flying towards the station upon entering the system. It gives me more of a sense of the vast emptiness of space.

I've also noticed what might be a couple Asimov references: the Encyclopedia Galactica is from is Foundation series. Also in the series, there is a ship named the Far Star, which I've seen as an OXP in the wiki.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Coltron wrote:
The first thing I'd like to note about this game is the vastness. Every other space sim I've flown so far is full of shortcuts and closed areas, yet here I have to spend several minutes flying towards the station upon entering the system. It gives me more of a sense of the vast emptiness of space.
Elite, the 1984 game of which Oolite is a recreation, pretty much invented not only the space sim and the 3d-game, but also the wide-open-sandbox type of game. You can go everywhere and do everything you like. And indeed, space is big. :)
Coltron wrote:
I've also noticed what might be a couple Asimov references: the Encyclopedia Galactica is from is Foundation series. Also in the series, there is a ship named the Far Star, which I've seen as an OXP in the wiki.
You will find references to pretty much everything notable in the SF genre (and a lot of other stuff, too). A lot of them are embedded into Oolite itself, and were in fact inherited from Elite. But via the OXPs the possibilities have become literally limitless. :wink:
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Before an Advanced Compass became a regular thing, to find the station, I would jump into the system and put the planet in the center of my compass (the dot ) and then go as far as I could to get there, hoping nothing would shoot at me. If I was 'jump locked' by a nearby ship that wasn't shooting at me, I would avoid temptation by getting a drink or checking on the pasta water at this point.

At some point the dot on the compass would jumped to another position, this would indicate that the compass switched from tracking the planet to tracking the station. I would readjust to the station and fly in.
Docking, by the way, is a whole different skill set.
Coltron
Average
Average

Post by Coltron »

Funny thing is, the docking procedure seems familiar to me for some reason. Maybe I played it when I was too young to remember?

It's kind of fun, except for when I forget to save and fudge the docking.