Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Node Zero and OSE

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Node Zero and OSE

Post by mcarans »

Famous Planets adds Ascension to G1, but I've seen mentioned Node Zero and other "special" locations. What OXP adds them?

What are RS and OSE? I've seen them mentioned and OSE apparently adds Ascension as well.

Sorry if it's obvious - I haven't managed to guess or find it.

Cheers,
Mike
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Node Zero and OSE

Post by CheeseRedux »

mcarans wrote:
Famous Planets adds Ascension to G1, but I've seen mentioned Node Zero and other "special" locations. What OXP adds them?

What are RS and OSE? I've seen them mentioned and OSE apparently adds Ascension as well.
The last first: Realistic Shipyards was an effort by Lestradae to collect all OXP ships in one big bundle, and Oolite Shipyards Extensions (later renamed Oolite Extended Project) was the next evolutionary step, aiming to bring virtually all OXPs under one umbrella. There is a long thread detailing its progress.
I use the term "was", since both projects have now been removed from standard Oolite and have branched off in a separate direction. I've not followed its progress in quite a while, but details may be found at http://ooliteextended.forencity.eu/.

Node Zero is indeed a part of OSE/OEP. If memory serves me right it is a planet with tech level 16 where you can get hold of some very special ships and gadgets.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Thanks for this.

Is there any OXP for standard Oolite that adds Node Zero and the others?

If not, I think I'll wait before I follow the Constrictor into G2 and investigate Ascension in G1.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Still going by memory here, and as far as I recall none of the extra features of OSE were ever released as standalone OXPs.
As a neophyte I had RS installed; it made life easier since I didn't have to check a gazillion OXPs for new versions. I still have a zip with v3.02b on my harddrive. I tested OSE as well (up to v0.7), but it was too much for my system to handle. With RS no longer being maintained due to work shifting to OSE, I bit the bullet and switched to manually updating my OXPs.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

mcarans wrote:
Thanks for this.

Is there any OXP for standard Oolite that adds Node Zero and the others?
Nope. That would have defeated the very purpose of RS/OSE, which was to supersede and replace each single "standalone" OXP. So it wouldn't have made any sense to release any part of it as a standalone OXP.

The branching off of OSE also indicates that the project tends to develop away from Oolite. So you would have to choose whether you want to play Oolite or Oolite extended. They are two different games, and Node Zero is not a part of the game Oolite.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Ok thanks. I'll go investigate Ascension before I go to G2.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

You might want to have a look here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=6
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Thanks. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.