Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] New OXP List

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

El Viejo wrote:
Thanks a_c... at least it wasn't my memory playing tricks again.

If it goes on the main oxp page, then it should be below all the other stuff, as it appears to be on the test page.
If the table is going below all that stuff on the main OXP page, then I'd like to change my vote to having the table available as a link from that page.

I don't want to scroll through what are OXPs, installing OXPs etc. every time I want to access the table, so better that it be on a separate page I can bookmark.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

mcarans wrote:

If the table is going below all that stuff on the main OXP page, then I'd like to change my vote to having the table available as a link from that page.

I don't want to scroll through what are OXPs, installing OXPs etc. every time I want to access the table, so better that it be on a separate page I can bookmark.
Seconded. I notice that as I write, the poll stands 50/50 with the 'separate page' vote increasing rapidly. I think on balance I prefer this option as well.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Smivs wrote:
I notice that as I write, the poll stands 50/50 with the 'separate page' vote increasing rapidly.
Unfortunately, I don't have the option to change my vote in the poll, so actually the poll would be in favour of a separate page.
[EDIT: Even without my vote change it's in favour of linking now.]

Anyway here are the two possibilities:

Main page with table at bottom
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXPTest

Link from main page to separate page with table
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_new which links to:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_Expansions

I've added Thargoid's suggestion of a separate table for broken downloads.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

mcarans wrote:
Link from main page to separate page with table
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_new which links to:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_Expansions
As there seems to be a clear majority in favour of linking, unless anyone has any objections, I will make live the pages above this evening. If you have any problem with this, please reply to this message.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Excellent! I like the new page with the category explanation and separated broken OXPs section!

I propose we go ahead and modify the existing OXP page to link to the new OXP_Expansions list, remove the OXPTest page, and mark the alphabetical OXP pages as deprecated.

Cool?

Edit: :D Seems mcarans and I were thinking and posting the same at the same time :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Might I propose before you do that the Oolite Categories table at the top actually points to pages that exist? At the moment the only one that does is the Equipment list.

Also some of the summaries seem to be wrapping by a word (or a symbol) onto 2 lines on my display, which looks sloppy.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Looking very good. :) Go for it!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Thargoid wrote:
Might I propose before you do that the Oolite Categories table at the top actually points to pages that exist? At the moment the only one that does is the Equipment list.
There are actually two tasks that need to be carried out: one is to create the category pages, the other is to apply these category tags to the existing OXP detail pages (and removing the then obsoleted category tags).

I see that as a follow-up step with a lower priority as the only benefit you get from those are the automatically generated OXP lists for each category. Moving the OXP list from its testing environment into production is more important as far as I am concerned.
Thargoid wrote:
Also some of the summaries seem to be wrapping by a word (or a symbol) onto 2 lines on my display, which looks sloppy.
Which ones do? What is your resolution, your browser, your OS?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

maik wrote:
There are actually two tasks that need to be carried out: one is to create the category pages, the other is to apply these category tags to the existing OXP detail pages (and removing the then obsoleted category tags).

I see that as a follow-up step with a lower priority as the only benefit you get from those are the automatically generated OXP lists for each category. Moving the OXP list from its testing environment into production is more important as far as I am concerned.
It just looks bad to have links and sortings to pages that don't exist. Plus perhaps some of the existing category tags that Ahruman made could be re-used?
maik wrote:
WinXP and Firefox at 1152 x 864. The wrapping ones are:

• Amen Brick's Megaships
  • Anarchies
  • Asteroid Storm
  • Cataclysm
  • Commies
  • CustomSounds
  • Deep Horizons System Redux 2
  • Deep Space Dredger
  • Feudal States (although only it's arrow symbol)
  • Furball
  • Griff's ArcElite
  • Random Hits
  • Renegade Viper + Grass Snake
  • Stellar Serpents
  • Vortex
  • Werewolf
There's a screen grab here of an example section of how the list displays on my screen.[/color]
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Thargoid wrote:
maik wrote:

It just looks bad to have links and sortings to pages that don't exist. Plus perhaps some of the existing category tags that Ahruman made could be re-used?
Some of the existing ones could be reused if we were able to rename them, but as far as I understand the Wiki (admittedly I'm a beginner there) we can't. We would also have to analyze if the categories that do seem the same have actually been applied in the same way to OXPs. I'd rather ditch the old ones and apply the new ones, it seems more efficient.
Thargoid wrote:
maik wrote:
WinXP and Firefox at 1152 x 864.
We optimized for a 1280px wide display...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

maik wrote:
We optimized for a 1280px wide display...
Will look odd to some laptop users then, plus people on older monitors and some flat panels like mine.

I confirm it doesn't wrap at 1280px, but it's also eye-achingly small and difficult to actually read or use as it's very heavy on text.

It may be worth putting in a note that it's optimised for high-resolution viewing for people with good eyesight though.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
It may be worth putting in a note that it's optimised for high-resolution viewing for people with good eyesight though.
I assume that people with bad eyesight already are custom to use other solutions for viewing webpages. Most browsers I know (all?) Have an easy option to use bigger characters for display. e.g. when I type "⌘+" On my mac in Safari the text becomes bigger and when typing it a second time the lines in the columns start to wrap on that particular page.

I assume this is a general feature and not specific for Mac. Specific to current macs is the zoom function with the scroll-weel on the mouse. Cntl-scroll on my mouse, allows me to zoom in until only 3 lines fit on my big sceen. :lol:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I was meaning more generally - that people who don't have huge monitors tend to use lower screen resolutions so that they don't have microscopic icons etc.

Not everyone has huge 21" widescreen monitors or the latest greatest graphics cards.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Also, what option would we have to not make some lines wrap around on lower resolutions? Either abbreviate the descriptions even more, use an even smaller font, or remove columns. I would like to avoid all of these options now. ;-)
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

I just created the category pages and went through all OXP pages to adjust the categorization accordingly.

Someone else please deprecate the old categories, I've done enough Wiki editing for one day. :)

Oh, and mcarans: I think you can go ahead and update the OXP page to include the link to the new OXP Expansions page (somewhat redundant name though ;-)) and mark the old A-Z pages as deprecated as well.